Meister Eckhart, the mystic

What do you think of Meister Eckhart, the medievil mystic and writer. I’m looking for some other catholic mystic writers as well so recomendations are appreciated.

The Meister, in my humble opinion, is one of the greatest Church mystic authors. He can be difficult to understand, and can be interpreted as saying some controversial things, like “God’s ground and my ground is the same ground,” whatever that means.
He is the most ‘eastern’ of western mystics, and his teaching that suffering stems from desire sounds a lot like Buddhism, which he had not connection with. He’s considered almost too mystical for his own good.
There’s a good collection of his works edited by Bernard McGinn. It’s something everyone interested in “religion” should engage with.

Some of the very good mystical Christian writings are accounts of saints activities and words. So I’d say writings about Catherine of Siena and Francis of Assisi should be quite fulfilling.
Good writings would be Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross.

Meister Eckhart is great, but beware of the medieval theological style of writing- it can get boring if you are not used to it. His sermons are good, and if you like Dominican mystics try his disciples Heinrich (henry) Suso and Johannes (John) Tauler.

I have a positive reaction to the little I have read on this spiritual master, I have however an extreme negative reaction to the new age inspired drivel often published as “selections”, “meditations” or other chaff published as “with him” or “in the spirit of”. Look very carefully at the source of whatever book or site you are looking at the claims to translate, explain or otherwise use his teachings, and make sure they are not perverting him to their own agenda. This is also frequently done with Hildegard, Julian of Norwich, the Cloud of Unknowing and other medieval writings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.