Mel Gibson - Divorce?

I just read on a yahoo news flash that Robyn Gibson filed for divorce, compensation, and alimony from MG! Confirmed on Access Hollywood, if this is true or is carried out, I have say I am flabbergasted! He is such an Orthodox Catholic, wasn’t his wife the same way? I read from some in these forums that he has been depressed every now and then, but I really thought it was due to career stress, it must have been everything, huh? Oh this is horrible!

Please post a link from a reputable source. Also, I’m not sure what good it does either of them to discuss their private life. If you wish to pray for them (which I will certainly do), then I suggest you put something in the prayer forum. Gossip is never good for anyone.

~Liza

I am quite offended by what you said! I posted this here because MG, yahoo, and AH are part of the popular culture. Which is the section I am in. I did use the word IF to imply it being early stages and speculation at this point. I simply stated a piece of news and then my reaction to the shock of it. It WAS from these forums that I read he had bad depression, but it was not sourced so I did not read too much into it.

I saw you were not listed as a forum admin so perhaps you could link the appropriate sources to quote from for this site? Perhaps, better, your own personal list? If you haven’t learned by now, don’t cast stones on matters you no little or nothing about. Judging is never good for anyone. You have sin, too!

I am devastated for MG. This was not meant to be a tsk tsk tsk, shame-shame statement until you colored it that way. If admin want to take it down, then they will, but if all of this reconciles within the coming days, it will be in your prayer forum, the news forum, traditional catholicism, water cooler, etc… Real life stories are formed so that we can put ourselves in someone else’s shoes and be empathetic, not gossips! I think that is an accessment on how you read into things.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,515136,00.html

I think it’s pretty nasty of you to suggest that his wife is at fault and may not be a good enough Catholic.

The truth is that Mel Gibson, as much as I love him as an actor, is a retrograde, “Vatican II is the worst thing that ever happened” kind of Catholic. Not sure he was ever such a great role model for Catholics living in the modern Church.

Anyway, he was arrested for DUI a couple years ago. Probably he has had a long-standing drinking problem. The first DUI arrest is NEVER the first time someone has driven drunk! During that arrest, he called a female cop “sugar t*ts” and went off on a fairly nasty anti-Semitic tirade.

It’s obvious to me that Mel Gibson has some long-standing personal problems. His wife seems to have finally reached the end of her rope in dealing with them. She may even have found some strength from an Al-Anon type group to stop being his enabler.

I would not be surprised if the infidelity allegations are true, as poor choices, especially risky sexual choices, usually go along with substance abuse.

I have always loved watching Mel Gibson on screen. I pray for the best for him… for recovery and healing and for him to be a good father. Perhaps losing his wife will be the thing that motivates him to really get sober and stay that way. I also pray for his wife, for whom this must have been a very tough decision. 28 years with someone is nothing to sneeze at… to give up on that, one must be truly desperate and hurt. And I bet the fact that she is a Catholic made it ten times harder for her to take this step, but she thinks it’s the right thing to do.

So I think she deserves your compassion, or at least the benefit of the doubt.

This link should provide for your request. Does Associated Press work, with reference to which court it was filed in?

That is so sad! I will pray for the both of them and their children. They deserve it.

You just did to Mr. Gibson, what you accused the OP of doing to his wife! Sheesh. Me thinks many here perhaps assume too much. Let’s let it go and let’s also pray that the good Catholic wife of Mr. Gibson has a change of heart concerning getting a divorce (as though that ends a marriage).

Um… yeah. All I did was to repeat verifiable FACTS. And I did it to give an idea why we might want to have compassion for his wife.

It is not slander or uncharitable assumption to discuss FACTS that were widely reported in the news. I don’t get your criticism. :shrug:

Be offended then. :shrug:

I saw you were not listed as a forum admin so perhaps you could link the appropriate sources to quote from for this site? Perhaps, better, your own personal list? If you haven’t learned by now, don’t cast stones on matters you no little or nothing about. Judging is never good for anyone. You have sin, too!

It is appropriate forum etiquette when saying “I saw this on XYZ site” to actually post a link. I was simply asking that you do this. No, I am not an admin, but I have been a member here for a very long time, and as part of a community I only asked, politely I do believe, that a new member support the discussion with a link to where the information came from.

I am devastated for MG.

All divorce is sad.

This was not meant to be a tsk tsk tsk, shame-shame statement until you colored it that way.

I never “colored” anything in any particular way. Please show me where I did that? What words did I use that “colored” the topic in any particular way?

If admin want to take it down, then they will, but if all of this reconciles within the coming days, it will be in your prayer forum, the news forum, traditional catholicism, water cooler, etc… Real life stories are formed so that we can put ourselves in someone else’s shoes and be empathetic, not gossips! I think that is an accessment on how you read into things.

Since when is it EVER appropriate to discuss the private and inner workings of anyone’s marriage on a public forum? I don’t care if they are public people, they deserve privacy at this time in their lives, not a bunch of arm chair voyers speculating about who was more Catholic, or who drank too much. I think it is appaling and totally inappropriate to be discussing anyone’s marriage situation in this way. It frankly is none of our business.

Oh - and I never “read” anything into this other than to state the fact that gossip is just that - gossip. It is the discussion and speculation about another person when that person is not involved or has no control over the discussion. It is cause for scandal and I personally think it is uncalled for on any forum, least of all a Catholic forum.

Pray for them, yes. But to discuss it and speculate about it is just so tacky and wrong.

So - there ya have it. Call me what you will. I just don’t think such topics are appropriate.

~Liza

Facts huh?
Please list sources for these “FACTS” then:
The truth is that Mel Gibson, as much as I love him as an actor, is a retrograde.” - This is simply name calling and nothing more than your opinion.
Not sure he was ever such a great role model for Catholics living in the modern Church.” Again opinionated and hardly a fact simply because YOU feel this way.
Probably he has had a long-standing drinking problem.” Here you make an assumption. Whether or not it is a fact we are left hanging since you cite no source outside your own opinion.
It’s obvious to me that Mel Gibson has some long-standing personal problems.” This must be a fact then? Because it’s obvious to you?!
I would not be surprised if the infidelity allegations are true, as poor choices, especially risky sexual choices, usually go along with substance abuse.” I would not be surprised if you label all your opinions as “fact” just as it appears that you have done throughout this post.

Please understand that I really am not trying to attack you. I’m simply pointing out to you that your post was indeed guilty of the same thing that you were accusing the OP of.

Last I heard she’s Episcopalian.

***I can’t imagine Mel not trying to make his marriage work, and his wife and he seemed to be very happy for many years. 28 years is a long time. Something about Hollywood, I think. It is a rough place to stay married…it’s a rough place to be a devout Christian. I read that Mel has/had a drinking problem, who knows if it was something like that, or they just couldn’t get past old hurts. Either way, I will pray for them…I saw something on yahoo tonight, about it, and not that yahoo is where I get my news from…lol But, it seems reliable, that his wife filed for divorce. They’re in my prayers. I admired their long lasting relationship…it’s one of the few that still remain in tact in Hollywood…:frowning:

But, they are human beings…and we can’t begin to speculate what went wrong. It’s between them, and God to work out. They need our prayers. ***

No offense, but even Wikipedia disagrees with you on some of those “facts”. And this article actually has sources.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson#Personal_life

And to the OP, I think the Yahoo “news flash” you saw was this.
omg.yahoo.com/news/mel-gibson-wife-file-for-divorce-after-28-years-of-marriage/21192?nc

Seems a bit like a gossip site, no?

Firstly may I heartily endorse whatevergirl’s post - we are NOT privy to what has gone on behind Mr and Mrs Gibson’s closed doors, and speculation on the causes of their marriage breakup really is pointless - not to mention that detraction and gossip are sinful.

Secondly - there is nothing in orthodox Catholic teaching that prevents a spouse from seeking a divorce under secular law, if their welfare or the welfare of their children is at risk in any way. This is regardless of whether the potential harm is physical, emotional, financial or of any other type.

On the contrary - especially where there are children involved, the spouse has a positive duty to protect those children from any type of harm, and a secular divorce is sometimes the only way this can be done. Which realities the Church recognises, while it does not permit remarriage after divorce without an annulment. In fact the obtaining of a civil divorce is a prerequisite (to my understanding) of even applying for an annulment!

Thirdly - after 28 years of marriage, Christian charity indicates that it is appropriate to give Robyn the benefit of the doubt in this case, and assume that she would neither take such a step lightly or unadvisedly. Including seeking the advice of a Catholic priest, assuming she is indeed Catholic - or even if the children are being raised Catholics, which presumably they are.

It would seem from her past behaviour that she believes as firmly in the sanctity of marriage as Mel does, so cut the woman some slack.

We shouldn’t be judgemental of MG. We don’t know if he has confessed his sins. Even if he hasn’t, we shouldn’t be throwing stones at him. If we are truly honest with ourselves, I think a lot of us may have driven drunk at one point or another and/or had racist comments/thoughts in their backgrounds. We are called to love everyone, even sinners.

Confession does not remove the temporal consequences of sin, like running off one’s spouse because she is too hurt to take anymore.

With all due respect, anyone can edit Wikipedia… it’s as good as a gossip site, too.

I saw this on aol and several other sites as well. I’ll keep them in my prayers. Also, I believe Gibson’s wife is Episcopalian, not Catholic.

Interesting. I wonder what the responses would be if this story were about the Clintons…:rolleyes:

I cannot be on here all night, and believe me, after the day of work I had, the last thing I would feel like doing tonight is reconciling my thoughts to some of the anger posted here, but I began this thread, and I don’t quit.

I am not going to delve into who has the best or most accurate websites. I like them all be honest, and have already read Fox, AP, Wiki, aol, and everything else mentioned. Thank you for the links! My sources stated the same quotes as all the other sites provided for that particular story. I am skeptical on content and not design or other stories so much, however I can understand anyone getting to a particular site and being sidetracked by another story. It is our control to stay focused.

grandiosa: I think it’s pretty nasty of you to suggest that his wife is at fault and may not be a good enough Catholic.

She filed and she went to find an ardent lawyer to ensure everything she is seeking. Some people here are even saying that she is not Catholic. This is news to me as I never said she was Catholic. I am not going to speculate anymore on that. There is no way Mel Gibson could file having been interviewed so many times on being vocal about his stance on his faith. He had to stick to his guns (does not mean he is a good boy, though).

Lizaanne, you have way too much time on your hands! I am filled with humor on your angry, over-analyzed, and condescending posts. If I wanted to listen to tantrums, I would have taken up the day babysitting my cousin’s children, rather than being subjected to your superiority complex. I can’t believe you took every opportunity to dissect my second post, however, one thing is certain, you think you are God, you completely overlooked my comment about you judging, and you recognize this of yourself. This is great because you know that you cast stones, you understand that you pointed the finger, and you initiated this topic into a snowball effect. Look at what you did. You spun this way out of control! I think you need a hug.

Lizaanne: It is appropriate forum etiquette when saying “I saw this on XYZ site” to actually post a link. I was simply asking that you do this. No, I am not an admin, but I have been a member here for a very long time, and as part of a community I only asked, politely I do believe, that a new member support the discussion with a link to where the information came from.

This quote is just plain ignorant. I have read the forum rules, and I am not from 1800’s Britain and do not adhere to any culture’s specialized form of etiquette or charm school influences. Reading this particular quote suggests anyone under 5600 quotes on this site should never option to challenge you. I am just as valued a member as anyone who began here from day 1. I will conform to the Catholic education I have, deciphering fact from opinion, and cause and effect. That is what I need to prove my rationale. In the eighth grade, we also had a class called Critical Thinking, by which, this topic should make all of us do, it can happen to you, too! This is a very hot button topic for Catholics, and they should talk about it as sensitively as possible. You are insinuating that you are polite, you are in no way polite, nor are you to direct me or anyone else where and how to post! That is admins job, and they do a fantastic job of keeping things in line! This topic is bound to be in other places of this forum already, I have not checked for keeping in with this one. There are sure to be other aspects or issues to be drawn out of it and discussed as well. Had I offered links instead of named sources, or given you Fox news over the same details from aol news who both get their news mostly from AP or Reuters…, really have prevented you from beginning the name calling? Let us keep the peace on this issue and hope the matters resolve after a pleasant Easter.

Again, this is early stages, and with God, anything is possible. It is Hollywood, so tomorrow is a new day, and this thing could be dropped. However, I think it gives all of us retrospect on our own lives or like I said before, the ability to put ourselves in their shoes. Since I am growing tired of this post, I will listen to the mothering and nurturing posts of reason by whatevergirl and LilyM when they say to feel for them and pray for them, which I am sure many of you have done already.

In my late 20’s I seriously contemplated marriage. However with virtually no good examples growing-up and much of the already-demise-marriages there are, I was instead detracted to married life. A marriage is so much work and has many emotional strings to it. I take into effect the popular Catholic marriages that are out there to use as examples of when I am being attacked for my faith, so if they falter, I feel I faltered as well. This is about popular people, whether it be actors, politicians, authors…, by which, there have been thousands of CAF posts on these different kind of celebrities and more.

I feel for him, and for her, and for the children. As someone already stated, 28 years is a long time. I am hoping this will blow over in the weeks to come and they can reconcile.

Special intercession to Jesus through St. Monica. Peace to everyone, God’s Love and Blessings be with all of us, and especially, the Gibson’s!

-Hope

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.