Mel Gibson to Get Hollywood Director Award

Mel Gibson to Get Hollywood Director Award

As he mounts something of a directorial comeback, Mel Gibson has been chosen to receive the Hollywood Film Awards’ Hollywood Director Award. The prize will be handed Nov. 6 at an awards ceremony to be hosted by James Corden at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.

Gibson’s new film, Hacksaw Ridge, stars Andrew Garfield in the true story of Desmond T. Doss, an Army medic and conscientious objector who displayed heroism in the Battle of Okinawa. The pic, which also stars Vince Vaughn and Teresa Palmer, is set to be released Nov. 4 by Lionsgate.

Hacksaw Ridge is the first film that Gibson, a best director Oscar winner for 1995’s Braveheart, has helmed since 2006’s Apocalypto and 2004’s box-office hit The Passion of the Christ. He also starred recently in the action thriller Blood Father.

Past honorees of the Hollywood Director Award include Tom Hooper, David O. Russell, Oliver Stone, Ron Howard, Martin Scorsese and John Schlesinger, among others.

The Hollywood Film Awards, marking their 20th anniversary, are produced by Dick Clark Productions.

http://cdn2.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/landscape_928x523/2016/08/gettyimages-533311922-h2016.jpg

Nice to see this. For a while I wondered if there wasn’t some sort of blacklist going on in Hollywood against people of Gibson’s faith or “conservatism”.

The premise of the story … a pacifist goes to war to save as many people as he can … reminds me a BIT of the movie Sargent York starring Gary Cooper and Joan Leslie.

It looks like a good movie. I PLAN to see it. Though I haven’t formalized my plans yet. :wink:

No, just against his antisemitism.

Man he is getting old! :eek:

That’s honestly the first thing that came to mind. :o

But I’m really glad he’s getting an award! :slight_smile:

He’s one of my favorite people in Hollywood, easily, hands down. He’s made all kinds of great stuff.

I like some of his older movies (Galipoli, The Year of Living Dangerously - when he spoke with an Australian accent) but he seems to have self-destructive tendencies.

We all do. Or, at least I do. :shrug: The trick is to master those tendencies, and sometimes we fail at that.

People sometimes make drunken fiasco mistakes.

If we picture life as a car we’re driving, most of us will careen wildly all over the road at certain times, and worse, we’ll drive through trees, off bridges, into walls and buildings, etcetera. In truth, it’s pretty miraculous most of us have even survived some of the self-destructive things we’ve done.

He DID have some unfortunate moments back in the early part of the century at that.

Never drink too much in Malibu. You may pop off and someone may hear you.

(Then everyone will).

Can’t remember the details. Do remember the controversy.

One of his best roles was as Rocky in Chicken Run.

Alleged anti-Semitism.

You can say Mr. Gibson made anti-Semitic remarks when he was arrested in 2006; he was drunk at the time of making the anti-Semitic remarks.

He apologized for making those anti-Semitic remarks and asked for forgiveness from the Jewish community and he said he is not an anti-Semite:

“I’m not just asking for forgiveness,” Gibson said. “I would like to take it one step further and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one-on-one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.”

It was the second apology the 50-year-old Oscar winner has issued through Nierob since his arrest early Friday.

Gibson said he is “in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display” and hopes members of the Jewish community, “whom I have personally offended,” will help him in his recovery efforts.

“There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark,” Gibson said. "But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

cbsnews.com/news/mel-gibson-i-am-not-an-anti-semite/

A screenwriter Gibson worked with on the put on hold Warner Bros.’ *Judah Maccabee *movie project in 2012 alleged Mr. Gibson made anti-Semitic remarks while working on the movie script but Gibson stated in a reply letter that the accusations are false.

He has a terrific body of work as actor and director, despite personal problems.

Hollywood tends to forgive a lot if you make lots of money for them. It was a long time ago that Frank Sinatra got fired for shacking up with Ava Gardner while still married to Nancy Sinatra. It was a very temporary setback for his career.

Isn’t he a member of a schismatic sect? I don’t think he is SSPX.

Cool. The portrayal of Mary in The Passion is easily the most magnificent portrait I’ve seen. Hope he can do more things of that caliber.

I thought Nancy was his other daughter.

I saw the Shorts of his new movie at the Cinema ,looks like it could be a Quality movie,
Some people may not like the man,I don’t really see THE. Man,but rather the talent,
Many people don’t like Tom Cruise , I rather llike his acting ability,
I saw Tom’s last movie Jack Reacher ,I thought they all tried to hard to make it a good story,
And killed the story by trying to hard , ( over acting ) it didn’t flow the story line,
But he is still a good actor,his private life I don’t care for ,

That might be his father. I am not sure.

He is a talented actor and director. One of my favorite movies is Signs.

I really enjoy that movie too. It’s my traditional Halloween fare. I had no idea the aliens were allegorically demons! It’s so obvious when someone points that out. That’s why water kills them - it’s holy water. Etc.

Wow! I have never heard that before. I like the story of a man of faith who loses his faith and regains his faith .

I had no idea the aliens represented demons. They were killed by ordinary water though, correct?

It is probably a good thing that you are not too involved in Hollywood gossip. A lot of people waste their time on it. Frank’s first wife was Nancy Barbato with whom he had three children, Frank Jr, Nancy, and Tina. You can catch up with the rest here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Sinatra

It takes a long article to keep up with all his relationships.

If I manage to later, I’ll link the article I read about it. It’s really neat. Just for a teaser, the crop circle from the air looks like a pitch-fork, the aliens have cloven feet, and they have a hard time opening doors. You have to let them in. Beau, the little girl, is called an angel, and she’s the one who leaves the water glasses everywhere.

It really is obvious when someone points it out.

I have never read any of this about the movie Signs. I will have to rewatch it.
I know the little girl always said the water tasted funny and that was why she had so many glasses everywhere. I don’t remember the crop circle looking like a pitchfork
either. If you can find the link I would like to read it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.