Melkite and Roman Catholic

Can I simultaneously be Roman Catholic and Melkite Greek Catholic?

No. You may only belong to one particular ritual Church. But you may attend liturgy at whichever one you’d like.

-Fr ACEGC

Go to whichever mass you feel most comfortable. “Eat what tastes good.” - St Teresa of Avila

Psalm 34:8

O taste and see that the Lord is good;
happy are those who take refuge in him.

“Divine Liturgy”, thank you. “Mass” is explicitly western, and comes from the Latin in that liturgy.

hawk

It’s Psalm 33 in the Douay-Rheims Bible.

Either way go where you feel it helps you to feel closer to God.

Ah yes, the numbering in the NRSVCE is different.

You can visit one or the other but I advise you don’t mix two traditions. It may lead to spiritual schizophrenia!

A rite is more than a liturgical patrimony. Liturgy must reflect the fullness of a Tradition, and if a person scrupulously follows the Tradition of one Church, while adhering to the doctrines of another Church, is betraying both.

ZP

ditto…(I thought I was the only one who had experienced that lol!)

When I first went east I tried lol! Found out I had to go all in the hard way.

ZP

same here :slight_smile:

I must have been somewhere before I went East . . .

:crazy_face::rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::roll_eyes:

Because the Melkite Church is in full communion with the Catholic Church wouldn’t that mean that the doctrines are essentially the same?

Yup that would be the case. Although in practice some Melkites more than often push the boundaries of this.

Well, kind of. There are two levels of theology, theologia prima (first level theology) and theologia secunda (second level theology). In Greek the two are called theologia and theoria. The former, theologia prima, is the essential, dogmatic level of theology as contained in the Church’s rule of prayer, which is to say, in the liturgy of the Church.

Theologia secunda, on the other hand, is the result of contemplation and reflection upon the theologia prima, and it’s elaboration into doctrine. Doctrine, however, is culturally, historically and linguistically conditioned. The experience of each particular Church shapes how it understands the theologia prima. So, as Pope Saint John Paul II noted, doctrine is variable, but the underlying dogmatic faith is transcendent; we simply have to be careful not to conflate the two.

Unfortunately, for a number of centuries, the Church of Rome thought itself in exclusionary terms as the only Church; therefore, the doctrinal pronouncements of the Church of Rome were often labeled as “dogmatic,” when, if fact, they were particular only to the Church of Rome. Therefore, not everything Roman Catholics consider “dogmatic” really is. It is now understood that, as long as there is agreement on the level of the theologia prima, variety in the theologia secunda is both acceptable and desirable, for a Church that is uniformly Roman (or for that matter, uniformly Byzantine) can make no pretension to ecumenicity or catholicity.

For example, at the first level theology, theologia prima, we all believe in purification after death. Rome decided to define this as Purgatory. The East is completely fine in not defining this purification process and what it entails.

ZP

Interesting. I wasn’t aware that we could do that without a really good excuse, like if I were Ukrainian Catholic and there weren’t any Ukrainian Catholic churches nearby.

I didn’t know there were different levels of theology. Thank you for posting.

No prob. I pretty sure I got that from Father Taft of blessed memory. I’ll double check if you want the resource.

ZP

You knew Fr. Taft?!? WOW…:scream:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.