Melody for "Heart of Jesus Hear"

I’m looking for the notation for the melody for the hymn of “Heart of Jesus Hear”, or sometimes called “Heart of Jesus Meek and Mild”. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it? The tune that I am looking for can be heard here:

http://midicatholic.homestead.com/files/heart2.mid

Wow, speaking of a blast from the past, I haven’t hear nor thought of that hymn for a long, long, time. I listened to the recording and sang along with it. I suppose you know that the melody is used as a descant for the second verse or the chorus.

As to where this can be found I have no idea. Maybe in a old copy of a St. Basil hymnal. I’ll watch this thread and if no one comes up with an answer, I’ll ask an organist whom I know if she knows. She is in a nursing home but her mind is sharp. I played the organ for years and years myself, but don’t remember ever playing this, just singing it.

Good luck!

Thanks for your willingness to help. I tried looking it up in the St. Basil’s Hymnal, but I couldn’t find it there. I can’t say that I know what a descant is, but I’m looking for the notes that you would sing.

Do you know who was playing the hymn on the site you gave?

No, I can’t say that I do. I just happened to run into it during one of my internet searches trying to find the song.

Well, everything is there on that recording. Verse 2 (or the chorus) is played exactly as it was sung in days long ago. I was just a kid and did not become an organist until after VCII, and in my organist days it was not used. I did just find a website with the words. I only remembered verses 1 and 2. It’s a lovely song.

OK, I’ve got something for you, the chords that go along with the melody. Google search "melody to Heart of Jesus Meek and Mild, and then you will find - on the first page even - a site to go to. You will download the “english document” from there and about the 2nd or 3rd page will be the hymn and the chords that go with it. The melody is really clear on that recording you posted.

DOC] COMMON CHRITSIANS PRAYERS
File Format: Microsoft Word - View as HTML
G C G Em A7 D7. Heart of Jesus, meek and mild. Hear, o hear, Thy feeble child. G G/B C G A7 D7 G. When the tempest’s most severe, Heart of Jesus, hear! …
www.angelfire.com/un/ken_ram41/ENGLISH.doc - Similar pages

Another thought - If you don’t play an instrument or have trouble playing by ear, find someone who does, have them listen to the recording and then write down the notes in the melody line. That plus the chords will be a good start. If you don’t know anyone who can do that for you, let me know by private e-mail or on here and I will do that for you. It’s very, very easy. Well, it’s easy to write the notes, not as easy to score them. I would just write them.

I am a singer, so I have a notation program.

Here is the sheet music I made from your midi file with the with the melody alone and piano accompaniment.

http://forums.catholic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5209&d=1234832515

Wow! I’m impressed. I know people who have such a program, but I didn’t think about them helping with this. I will enjoy playing this hymn. Thanks!!!

Boy am I glad I’m not singing that! A high B flat? :eek:

LOL I’d transpose it down a bit or just sing with the piano.

ok… NOW I see the high C :eek: :eek: :eek: :blush:

Thanks for the help! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I think that I will take tundramom’s idea and transpose it a little bit. There’s no way I can get that high!

Here is the sheet music transposed for a male baritone and a female contralto.

http://forums.catholic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5212&stc=1&d=1234886469

My 2 sisters and I all attended St. James Catholic School in Falls Church, Va. in the early 60’s and learned this beautiful song. We would sing in harmony while riding in the car. My mother would cry and poke my Father and say, “See, Dad? Aren’t you glad we sent them to Catholic schools? It was worth every sacrifice.” Dad would cry too. The Peace of the Lord would fill the car and we felt His Love between all of us. They are all in Heaven/Purgatory with the Lord now and I am praying for them and their kids. Good memories…

I am a music director/organist for a senior citizens community. Just this morning, I met with a family to plan their 93 year old Mother’s funeral. They requested this song. I remember singing it as a child and was delighted to see the music and vocal page that someone submitted on this sight. My question: How can I copy that single sheet in order to play it for a funeral this weekend? I don’t know if legally I can copy it and, if so, how to do it? The family and I would appreciate it.

I am trying to find the melody, lyrics and chords to this song…Father Albert has requested my children’s choir sing this…I don’t know this song…I need help…Thanks…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.