Member of Death-Row-Bound 'Texas 7' Says He Welcomes Execution

Member of Death-Row-Bound ‘Texas 7’ Says He Welcomes Execution
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,401132,00.html

Interesting. It looks like this is a case where we have zero percent probability of executing an innocent person. Looking forward to seeing the dialogue about this case.

Personally, I think we should abolish the death penalty. In this day and age, we can keep people interred for life which protects society…and there is a greater chance that the perpetrator of this atrocity will repent of this very serious sin against God and against others.

Interesting. It looks like this is a case where we have zero percent probability of executing an innocent person.

And zero deterrent. He wants to die.

Looking forward to seeing the dialogue about this case.

So is killing this guy worth the lives of all the innocent people condemned to die? If not all of them, how about half of them? Is it worth killing even one innocent person, so we can kill this guy?

BTW, I don’t see any moral or practical reasons not to execute a killer who clearly will kill again even in prison, and admits he did it. I would be happier of he showed remorse and made his peace with God, of course.

If God is unwilling that any should be lost, I’ll go with Him on that.

[quote=The Barbarian;]And zero deterrent. He wants to die.
[/quote]

No it’s 100% deterrent. This guy after he is put to death by the state will never kill again. That’s never, ever. 100% deterrent for this one guy to ever kill anyone again. Zero deterrent would be this guy after he is killed getting back on the road and killing someone. Why is this a concept you refuse to accept?

I see your argument of, "No DP because there have been and most likely will be again the state killing a person for a crime he did not commit.” That’s a good argument. But your constant rehashing of the zero deterrent argument holds no water.

de·ter – verb (used with object), -terred, -ter·ring.

1. to discourage or restrain from acting or proceeding: The large dog deterred trespassers.
  2. to prevent; check; arrest: timber treated with creosote to deter rot.

[Origin: 1570–80; < L déterrére to prevent, hinder, equiv. to dé- de- + terrére to frighten]

Zero deterrent would be this guy after he is killed getting back on the road and killing someone. Why is this a concept you refuse to accept?

It’s the obvious defense. But it falls apart when you look at states that actually have the death penalty. Homicide rates are actually higher there. The “culture of death” is more than just a phrase.

I see your argument of, "No DP because there have been and most likely will be again the state killing a person for a crime he did not commit.” That’s a good argument. But your constant rehashing of the zero deterrent argument holds no water.

It’s not that good. It’s actually a negative deterrent.

[quote=The Barbarian]It’s the obvious defense. But it falls apart when you look at states that actually have the death penalty. Homicide rates are actually higher there. The “culture of death” is more than just a phrase.
[/quote]

Homicide rates have nothing to do with it. One person gets convicted of a capital crime. He goes through the process and is sentenced to death by the state. The state carries that out in due time. That case is closed.

I just do not buy into the idea that the DP is a deterrent, or should be used as a deterrent, to other potential criminals. People that murder do it in a moment of passion or plan to do it for whatever reasons they have. Having or not having the consequence of the DP if caught does not enter into the equation.

But the state will- again, and again, and again-all the while proclaiming that killing people is wrong.

Murder is wrong; sometimes killing is necessary.

In self-defense and in war I agree. That is far different, however, from taking a person you have total control over and killing them,

This is a different argument than what I was tossing back and forth with Barbarian. And it may be the final point, I don’t know. That’s why I am always so active in DP threads. I am still trying to hash it out for myself.

(Barbarian observes that the death penalty actually results in higher homicide rates)

Homicide rates have nothing to do with it.

Turns out, they do. In states with the death penalty, there are more homicides. And states that have removed the death penalty have lower homicide rates.

**One person gets convicted of a capital crime. He goes through the process and is sentenced to death by the state. The state carries that out in due time. That case is closed.

I just do not buy into the idea that the DP is a deterrent, or should be used as a deterrent, to other potential criminals. People that murder do it in a moment of passion or plan to do it for whatever reasons they have. Having or not having the consequence of the DP if caught does not enter into the equation. **

Then why do it? Why not just lock him up?

[quote=The Barbarian]Then why do it? Why not just lock him up?
[/quote]

THIS CASE IS WHY!!! (I need some duct tape, please.) The whole thread here is about a guy that escaped prison with 6 others guys and then killed a cop. They were locked up, they got out and killed. That’s why.

To me, when you say no to the death penalty, you are saying all life has some value. When you can say that about a lousy murderer, it is a powerful statement about protecting innocent, unborn life.

Nohome

I would say all life has equal value. What you expressed in the last sentence was the one of steps in my becoming opposed to the death penalty. It was after working at a crisis pregnancy clinic a couple years that I realized I could no longer support capital punishment.

Bob - is that in all cases, no exceptions? A personal maxim sort of thing?

All life having equal value? Yes.

[quote=estesbob]All life having equal value? Yes.
[/quote]

If: All human life has equal value, from conception to natural death and that is why we should say no the DP.

Then: Why do we say yes to self protection (police having to shoot an armed suspect for his own safety or the safety of others) and why do we say yes to a Just War?

If all life has equal value doesn’t that include the prison guards and other inmates that are at risk of violent offenders?

If we are to make “No DP” a maxim, how do we not then make War and self protection a violation of that same maxim?

We are allowed to defend ourselves against someone who consititutes a direct threat to our life…This is not the case with someone in custody.

and for me it was opposition to the death penalty that made me realize I could no longer support abortion. Interesting, we reached common ground but got there from different directions.

Nohome

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.