memory lane

Video of today’s teenagers discovering Win 95.

Ah! The good old days when Windows freed us from having to type in DOS demands (ask you grandparents).

I love the fact that Brian Eno (disclaimer: be wary of some of his work) did the startup theme.

Sometimes the command line is a much easier way to get stuff done. You do need to know what you are dong to use it efficiently though.

:thumbsup:

I’d love to see them react to Windows 3.1

I used the command prompt recently* to change the names of a bunch of files.

*Ok, within the last 5 years.

In the video, they said (more or less) that Windows 95 was Microsoft’s entry into the graphical OS market, but they completely overlooked Windows 3 (and 3.1), which I believe was the real market breakthrough.

I have used DOS command line a bit, more so in the distant past, but now I like bash (linux command line) much better.

Speaking filenames, to this day I still try to limit names to eight characters until I “duh!”

Wasn’t that a challenge, trying to come up with a name that was meaningful in only 8 characters :stuck_out_tongue:

Since the title of this thread is “memory lane,” we could talk about how much memory computers needed in the good-old days.

The first computer I ever bought was a Dell 486 with a 33 MHz CPU and 4 MB of RAM. That was a real hot rod, back in the day… in 1991 (or 1992?).

I remember seeing ads for a ‘fast 486’!!

Kind of surprising though, today, unless you have high speed internet, loading certain pictures and pages takes about the same amount of time it did back then?!!

The first IBM clone computer I bought was pre Windows; I don’t even remember the processor but it came with 640k of RAM, no hard drive just two 5.25 floppy drives. Monitor was monochrome and I splurged on a dot matrix printer capable of handling legal sized paper sideways (It used the computer paper with extended strips with holes on each side for the printer paper drive wheels to feed it through the printer). When my buddies upgraded their similar machines with memory expansion cards and hard drives, I asked them if they were just too lazy to swap floppies-- and what would they ever do with 1MB of memory. I did put in a hard drive (I think it was only 20MB) and more memory and took it on deployment with me in the Navy and it made my life a lot easier since the few desktops on the ship were shared by multiple people.

Anyway, I used to have a batch file with a txt file it would type at start to convert the keyboard layout from QWERTY to Dvorak. It was nice when operating systems came out that included the ability to shift keyboard layouts.

Call me skeptical, because I am (too much for my own good), but I wouldn’t be surprised if these type of videos were just a bit staged. Although those youngsters mainly use smart phones and tablets, I’m sure more than a few of them would quickly be able to find the power on switch on a tower, especially in a school or public library. In addition, “modem” is still a commonly used term on a lot of technical websites, especially in regard to setting up modems, routers or modem-routers for one’s home system. Pardon my grumpy old self for being too cynical. I am starting to believe that perfeshunul rasslin’ is primarily a stage show. Like this video, however, it’s still a lot of fun to watch.

Use it to display the weather. Use it edit code. Use it for IRC. Use it for occasional web browsing. Finally, use it to read ebooks. Conemu is wonderful application :smiley: I’m sure I could go on, but I think I can summarize it by saying:

Command > GUI. :smiley:

Ironically though, this post was posted from a GUI browser, rather than a Command line one.

Blame web designers and Browser makers. Many sites would load much faster if they were not bogged down with tons of Javascript and were not so poorly designed, and many browsers are extremely bloated and full of code rot because they have to constantly stay on top of things.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.