Memory lapse

This seems slightly funny to me now but when it happened it wasn`t so funny.It was scary.

This morning while praying my daily rosary I came to the middle of “Hail Holy Queen…” and my mind went blank.I couldn`t remember any of the rest of the rosary,nothing.So after trying to remember unsucessfully for a while I ask Jesus to help my memory.Still nothing so I backtracked to the prayer and as soon as I said “Hail Holy Queen,Mother of Mercy” it all came back to me.

So what do you think ? Was it a trick of Satan or Senior moment or just something that a lot of people deal with or what ?

I would call it a senior moment. That does happen when we move back and forth between doing something that we are fully aware of it and something that is automatic.

Yeah, I’d have to agree… That’s happened to me as well. Somtimes I even mix prayers.

I have had that happen with the Hail Holy Queen every since I have said the rosary way back when I was six and seven and in my teens and in my 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s Oops! guess I better quit.

Happens to me too. Not to worry.

Happens to me, as well.

There’s something about that particular prayer, in my mind, which causes it to get easily mixed up. I think it has something to do with the repetition of “to you do we cry…” sections.

yeah and you were alone, try this while leading rosary at the funeral home. thankfully I usually have help for this, and we don’t all have our senior moments at the same time. From now on, I am taking a book.

Never happens to me I have to sa… er, what was that again :confused:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Try forgetting your own phonenumber in the middle of calling it out to a coworker :blush:

I can remember saying that prayer as a child in Catholic school and I couldn’t understand the prayer. I was a fairly happy innocent child and growing up in the 50’s I was looking forward to living “happily ever after”. Why were we saying, “to you we cry” and “we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears”? It made no sense to me. Finally, after many years…and tears… the prayer is making more sense.

When I am at mass on Sunday I have to “cheat” when we say the Creed. It is too much like the Apostles’ Creed so I feel much more relaxed just reading it each Sunday.

Well, I can’t say if it was a trick of Satan or a Senior moment or stress or a pregnant moment or whatever. I can say that things like this happen to me all the time (with me I can say it’s not pregnancy!).:blush:

Memory lapses happen. We’re only human.

That happened to me in confession. I started the Act of Contrition, which I say every day, and I couldn’t remember the rest of it. The priest knows me and knows I know it and he just smiled and proceeded with absolution.

Happened to me in a church while leading the Rosary (which I say daily, anyway).:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Joannm
That happened to me in confession. I started the Act of Contrition, which I say every day, and I couldn’t remember the rest of it. The priest knows me and knows I know it and he just smiled and proceeded with absolution.

I have blanked out numerous times on my sins &/or Act of Contrition. That’s why I take a “cheat sheet” in to the confessional. The only time I had a problem with that was once when the lights were out.:eek:

I refer to moments like that as “brain freeze.”

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.