Men covering their head

Hello,

Why does the Church, following the exhortation of Saint Paul, not have men cover their heads indoors as they did in Judaism? Why don’t we wear skullcaps and hats inside - and especially not at Church (a Bishop being the obvious exception)?

Laudatur Iesus Christus.

What exhortation do you mean?

I am aware of St. Paul’s comments in First Corinthians:

Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head – it is the same as if her head were shaven. For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil. For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. (For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.) That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels. (1Corinthians (RSV) 11:4-10.)

Where does he recommend that men cover their heads?

Pax Christi nobiscum.

John Hiner

Hello,

That is exhortation I mean. I meant that he exhorts men to cover their heads and us Catholic men don’t in Church. I am sorry if my OP didn’t read easily.

But, why is this? Why when Jewish men cover their head to pray don’t us Catholics? Why did Saint Paul make this exhortation?

“…For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God;…” - :confused:

Hello,

But it was for the Jews a sign of humility. Even Jesus as a Jew would have covered His head - you can’t get much more of the image and glory of God than Jesus. Also, woman are exhorted to cover their heads and they too are in the image and glory of God.

[quote=JMJ_coder]That is exhortation I mean. I meant that he exhorts men to cover their heads
[/quote]

When you get to heaven you’ll have to ask St.Paul why he said, ‘men do not cover your heads’.

Hello,

Oops!! Sorry for my grammatical errors. Yes, ‘do not cover’.

It just seems odd to me that Saint Paul tells us men not to cover our heads. If it is in view of not imposing the Mosaic law, I find nothing terribly burdensome about wearing a hat (as opposed to some other things that could definitely be viewed as burdensome - like circumcision).

And again, why do Bishops then wear their skullcap (I don’t know the proper term for it for Bishops) and mitre?

:slight_smile: …Hello.

Have you ever seen those black and white westerns where everyone is wearing 2 gallon hats inside and outdoors. Like a lot of giant mushrooms bumping gently into each other. Men doff their hats before entering Catholic Churches as a sign of respect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.