Men praying with cap, sin? (1 Cor. 11:4, 7)

Hi, is it sinful for a man to pray while wearing a cap? Now when it’s cold outside I like to wear a cap, but sometimes I want to pray inside of me for bypassing people. But I don’t know if this is allowed?:

[BIBLEDRB]1 Corinthians 11:3[/BIBLEDRB]
[BIBLEDRB]1 Corinthians 11:4[/BIBLEDRB]
[BIBLEDRB]1 Corinthians 11:7[/BIBLEDRB]

St. Paul, bless him, is often perceived as having a certain zealous rigidity when it comes to issues of gender and what is permitted and what isn’t. I will say no more at this point.

If I wish to pray, the wearing of headgear is not for me an issue - as Jesus said, ‘it is what is in the heart/mind that is important’. I do, as a male remove any headgear when in church, but I feel this is more to do with being a tradition, rather than an act of Divine requirement.

It is interesting that [post Vatican II] most women in my country and others have ceased to wear head covering as well.

Well, all part of Scripture is inspired and inerrant.

From the context, it appears that Paul was talking about public prayer, within the framework of an actual “church service.” In other words, for a male, reciting the prayers during Mass = bad. Saying a Hail Mary while walking past a church and wearing a winter hat = indifferent. Probably. I have prayed privately while wearing a cap, and lightning did not strike me.

Yes, certainly. But, remember that Paul wrote this only to the assembly in Corinth. He was addressing a cultural practice in ancient Corinth. 2,000 years ago, Paul considered it to be shameful. Paul saw a problem with interaction between the men and their wives. God is not so demanding, so legalistic that He demands prayer according to a fixed set of rules. The Pharisees were inflexible in this manner and Jesus condemned them seven-fold in Matthew 23. Consider: You are driving down the road while wearing a ball cap. You see a dangerous situation ahead. Must you remove your hat before it is proper to offer prayer? If the standards are that stringent, we have little or no hope of attaining heaven. But, God knows our hearts and it is from the heart that intentions, good or evil, come. So, if you must uncover something to pray, uncover your heart.

Thank you for your prayers. Yes, now I believe I can pray even if I have a cap on outside.

Hmm. “Thank you for your answers”, not “Thank you for your prayers”.

NO! It isn’t a sin to cover your head with a cap while praying

1Corithians 11 talks about this as Jonathan_1995 pointed out but most fail to see the answer itself within this same chapter. If I may point out a few scriptures.

First reason why it isn’t a sin to cover your head with a cap while praying:

(1Cr 11:4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.)
-This doesn’t say you have dishonored God but your own head

Second reason why it isn’t a sin to cover your head with a cap while praying:
(1Cr 11:5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved.)
(1Cr 11:6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.)
-So does every woman have to cover her head with a cap, hat, cloth, etc… in order to refrain from sinning… NO! neither does a man have to cover his head with a cap. The Lord is talking about bringing disgrace to oneself not sinning. If it sounds funny to be disgraced in regards to wearing a cap then you should realize he is not talking about a man made cover.
-Notice the reference to shaving her head(hair)

Third reason why it isn’t a sin to cover your head with a cap while praying:
(1Cr 11:14-15 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.)
-So as you can plainly see in this last scripture it says, “hair is given to her as a covering”. So basically men “should” have short hair (uncovered heads) and women should have long hair(covered heads). Does that mean a man with long hair and a woman with short hair sins… No! because it does not dishonor God it dishonors the person.

It’s ok to wear a hat, cap, umbrella, kippah, Yakamah and etc… for the scripture is referring to hair as a form of covering not caps. You have not sinned but it’s polite to take your hat off when your in doors, when you great a woman or when your at a funeral.

The Lord bless you and keep you.

No, it’s not a sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.