Men Raped Almost As Often As Women, New Studies Find

slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/04/male_rape_in_america_a_new_study_reveals_that_men_are_sexually_assaulted.html

Stemple, who works with the Health and Human Rights Project at UCLA, had often wondered whether incidents of sexual violence against men were under-reported. She had once worked on prison reform and knew that jail is a place where sexual violence against men is routine but not counted in the general national statistics. Stemple began digging through existing surveys and discovered that her hunch was correct. The experience of men and women is “a lot closer than any of us would expect,” she says. For some kinds of victimization, men and women have roughly equal experiences. Stemple concluded that we need to “completely rethink our assumptions about sexual victimization,” and especially our fallback model that men are always the perpetrators and women the victims.

I hope this helps to dispell the myth that rape happens because the victim was dressed provocatively. Especially since rape is so prevelant in prisons where the victims are obviously not dressed in sexy outfits.

It hopefully also dispels the myth that men “can’t be raped”, or that if they’re forced to do the penetration, it’s “not really rape”.

Absolutely. I agree 100%. It seems the only time rape is considered funny is when it’s done to men.

I also think we are in very bad need of prison reform. It’s awful how we seem to simply accept that rape is part of imprisonment and feel like it’s okay to make jokes about it (i.e. don’t drop the soap).

Women are raped at about the same rate the men rape other men.(I would imagine on the outside that men rape men ) :shrug:

Women are raped by males on the outside but in prison women are more often raped by females which makes sense.

Men are raped by males 54% of the time in prison and 46% of the time they are raped by female guards so the study says.

I am not sure this tells us a whole lot of what we don’t know. This is a study primarily about prison population. The males are saying they are raped by female guards but I bet few females would believe that. I guess that is what she is trying to point out.

Absolutely shocking when we see a person just for our own needs, like a piece of meat, and not as a person as Our Lord instructed us to do

Having working in a prison before, that is believable. All sex between inmates and guards is considered rape, whether or not both parties claim consent.

There are some inmates who make it a game to see how many female staff they can seduce or scam and then hang threats of turning them in over their head to get as much as possible out of them (drugs/contraband smuggled in, phone calls made, etc). Of course, they get caught or turned in in the end anyway and then the guard is or can be prosecuted for rape. We watched a video in training where several inmates detailed how they liked to “set up” staff like this - meant as a warning to us because it would be us facing charges if we let it happen.

Stuff esculates quickly - one case I was a witness to started with an inmate asking the officer to mail a letter for him after mail call closed for the day, then she was informed it was incriminating and being kept as evidence that could get her fired. It turned into one thing after another and escualted into drugs being smuggled in and sex acts with the inmate and at least one of his friends. She was probably targeted because she tried to be nice and almost motherly to the inmates - they saw it as being weak and a psuhover who was willing to bend the rules.

Of course, the guard is still culpable because they should know better and the inmate is still not really in a position to consent because of the power imbalance and fear of reprisal when the guard is the agressor or one inititating things,because there are some guard who are sexual predators and use their power to threaten or coerce inmates into sex, but the whole scenario of rape in prison works differently than most cases in the outside world. The closest non-prison example I can think of would be a college students and teacher or bosse and employee having sex, the student/employee using it to get favors and better grades/raises, then the one in authority being prosecuted for rape because of the imbalance of power (but that falls flat because there’s a much greater power imbalance in prison and the inmate can’t go elsewhere to avoid a guard).

OP, does the title of you post mean that “forced to penetrate” is now being classified as rape against the person forced? The only passage in the article I saw to support the claim that men are raped almost as often as women was this:

the Centers for Disease Control invented a category of sexual violence called “being made to penetrate.” This definition includes victims who were forced to penetrate someone else with their own body parts, either by physical force or coercion, or when the victim was drunk or high or otherwise unable to consent. When those cases were taken into account, the rates of nonconsensual sexual contact basically equalized, with 1.270 million women and 1.267 million men claiming to be victims of sexual violence.

It’s not difficult to believe that men under-report rape and sexual assault, although the article is a bit misleading.

The only context in which I’ve heard prison rape being joked about has been with reference to criminals convicted of forcibly raping innocent people; that it is due to the concept of “an eye for an eye” and that they would be experiencing themselves what they have subjected others to. I’ve heard it said that prisoners are especially hard on pedophiles, as they have their own sort of moral hierarchy within the system.

I have to admit, I find it hard to have to have sympathy for rapists experiencing rape in prison, but at the same I realize it’s not something that should be morally condoned.

I believe all prisons (and jails) should have same-sex prison guards tending to inmates, with the exception of areas such as processing/health checks. The article’s mention of 89% of juvenile males experiencing sexual assault at the hands of female guards was very shocking indeed.

Aside from same-sex guards, is there any other sort of reform that could be done to reduce the levels of prison rape? As I understand it, prisoners who are deemed to be especially vulnerable to inmate violence are usually placed in some sort of protective custody, such as special wings or solitary confinement. Or are those minority cases?

If it is consensual, is it really rape? In the instance of the girl guard submitting herself to inmates to keep her job seems like the balance of power is equal. She is being conned.

The prison record seems a bit dishonest,

It’s considered rape because of the imbalance of power. The inmate is not considered capable of consent, even if he goes on record bragging about having done this with several people and seeing it as a game. I agree with this in part, only because there are cases when guards can severly abuse your position and it does become more of a case of force and manupulation. The sad thing in the case I talked about is that the women was in her mid-late 40s, had children, and was married so it destroyed her whole family.

As far as being “conned”, that’s where the word came from, and why.

That’s the problem with overuse of any word. Broaden it too much and it loses some of its meaning. While male inmate/female guard sex is always illegal for the guard, it would be a mistake to say this is based on power. I would rather say the majority of the times this happens some woman is played by a wiser male inmate. She still is the responsible party, she may not have initiated the relationship.

Aside from same-sex guards, is there any other sort of reform that could be done to reduce the levels of prison rape?

FYI - This problem is being addressed and no one is saying that rape is just a part of being in prison.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_Rape_Elimination_Act_of_2003

So the plan is to have a “zero-tolerance” policy.

But how does that work? Obviously, the guards/employees who engage in consensual or non-consensual sexual activity should be fired. But if most inmates are raped by other inmates, what can be done to curb the number of assaults? Take for example, a prisoner who has a lengthy or life sentence - will he/she really have anything to lose for assaulting another inmate if there’s no hope of being paroled anyway?

Perhaps taking away privileges (such as radios, TV, visitation rights) would serve as a deterrent. I didn’t see anything like that specified in the link.

It doesn’t work by bring rape down to zero, but by bringing the tolerance of it to zero. For one thing, any complaint of prison rape must be investigated with the same diligence as rape outside prison.

Television, radio and similar activities isn’t for the inmates as much as it is for the guards. Solitary confinement is a more punitive action.

We could reduce the number of people we put in prison, that would be a start. We are the world leader as far as incarceration rates go. Are we really a more criminal society than the rest of the world?

I understand the non-tolerance aspect, but I’m wondering (practically speaking) how that is achieved. An investigation serves to provide evidence used for prosecution of the crime and so yes, this needs to be done. But the investigation into allegations itself is not what actually lowers the rate - it’s what *happens *to the perpetrator once he/she is found guilty that is going to have an impact on the rate of crime, I would think. That is to say, a conviction without punishment won’t really deter the criminal, nor would it serve as an example to others. Right?:hmmm: So I was left wondering (after reading about the Act in the link you provided) what the punitive measures were to be.

To keep the prisoners distracted so they won’t be looking to cause problems, I assume? It makes sense, though I would think it benefits both guards and inmates equally. Asking out of ignorance, are diversionary tools prohibited in solitary confinement? If I’m not mistaken, inmates in solitary confinement often get their exercise time limited to one hour/day. But are they still allowed recreational objects in their cells? If so, how does solitary confinement drastically lower their quality of life? Does the loneliness itself serve as a powerful deterrent?

And are there enough cells available to place a large number of inmates in solitary confinement? My impression is that there aren’t, and for that reason many violent inmates are still placed in gen-pop.

Just asking for information purposes, as I don’t have any personal experience with the penal system.

That’s the question that begs for a solution, isn’t it? I can sympathize with the lowering of penalties for certain crimes, such as marijuana/other drug possession, in order to keep some people out of jail.

Unfortunately however, I think the U.S. is indeed a more criminal society than many others in the world, especially in terms of violence. Even if we were to reduce prison sentences for certain crimes, our numbers of people who truly belong in jail would be relatively high.

Exactly, it’s a distraction and keeps inmates occupied.
As far as solitary confinement. They are allowed some privileges but it depends on a few things. Some are put in solitary for their protection and others as punishment; also the staff may opt to take liberties with the rules either allowing more privileges or restricting them arbitrarily.

Solitary confinement is generally difficult on the inmate. They only see guards; they do not have interaction with other inmates or are allowed to have visitors. Humans are social creatures so the lack of social interaction can be cause some mental problems.

And are there enough cells available to place a large number of inmates in solitary confinement? My impression is that there aren’t, and for that reason many violent inmates are still placed in gen-pop.

Just asking for information purposes, as I don’t have any personal experience with the penal system.

That’s the question that begs for a solution, isn’t it? I can sympathize with the lowering of penalties for certain crimes, such as marijuana/other drug possession, in order to keep some people out of jail.

Unfortunately however, I think the U.S. is indeed a more criminal society than many others in the world, especially in terms of violence. Even if we were to reduce prison sentences for certain crimes, our numbers of people who truly belong in jail would be relatively high.

I agree with decreasing or eliminating prison sentences for some drug crimes and non-violent crimes like embezzlement, fraud, etc.

I haven’t read this article in a long time so I’m not sure if I still agree with everything in it but it opened my eyes and gave me some perspective.

FIFTEEN TO LIFE - 15 WAYS TO FIX THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM

And this one is more recent (haven’t read it yet): “Johnny Cash and His Prison Reform Campaign” Eve isn’t the author but it’s linked on her blog.

I honestly don’t know how to go about fixing it, hence my overly simplistic idea. There are smarter people than me to hopefully figure it out. Based on the numbers alone (incarceration rates and rape amongst prisoners) something is very wrong.

When I mentioned how it’s okay to laugh at rape when it comes to men, I wasn’t speaking about anything formal or public. Just jokes that people make in day to day life when someone is going to prison. There was even a Law and Order SVU episode about the issue.

Perhaps I should take my emotional reaction to these types of things as a sign I’m called to take part in a prison ministry. I don’t think I’m there yet but it’s been on my mind for awhile.

Interesting number 15 on the list posted is keep the radical Imams out of prison so apparently they are concerned about Islam is being proselytized through the prison population.

Thanks for the links - I’ll take a look at them.

Changing the society is an idea, of course. To add my own simplistic idea.:wink:

Yes, I didn’t think you were referring to official statements. I was referring to the specific instances in which I’ve heard the jokes made. When you posted that, Law & Order SVU was the actually the first thing that came to my mind. Specifically, the one episode in which a convicted rapist who was released from prison framed Benson for murder in retaliation. At the end of the episode, he claimed that he was raped numerous times in jail. When Benson asked why he thought that she had orchestrated his prison rape, he replied something to the effect of:

Do you remember when you arrested me? You couldn’t stand the fact that I had no remorse for raping those women, and told me ‘A pretty boy like you? The guys are going to looooove you in prison’”

The other SVU episode was about the male stripper who was raped by three women. Stabler (the male cop), was sarcastic with him during the interview process because he found it credulous that a male could be raped by a woman, either because he couldn’t be feasibly overpowered, and because the assumption that is that a male is grateful for sex whenever he can get it. The episode also discussed involuntary arousal, and how it doesn’t disprove rape.

Good episodes, both of them.:thumbsup:

You must have a very compassionate heart. Admittedly, it’s not something I feel I could do, but despite my personal leanings on penal matters I don’t begrudge prisoners the opportunity for counsel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.