Mental anguish: offer it up, or give it to Jesus?

Okay, like most people, I have worries, anxiety, stress (i.e. bills, no income, sick parents, children etc) Some say, ‘give Jesus your problems, put your trust in Him like a little child. Have confidence that you can rely on Jesus to ease your worries.’ I think that’s easier said than done, unfortunately. BUT here’s my dilemna, when I TRY to ‘let go and let God’ I feel like I’m cheating. I’m thinking maybe I should suffer and offer it up to the souls in purgatory or, since I’ve consecrated myself to the Immacculate Heart of Mary, I should offer it all for Mary to use where she feels the need. If I ask for relief, am I cheating Mary out of using my anxiety and suffering for goodness?

The purpose of life is not to suffer. It is to have true life in abundance (cf. Jn 10:10).

Yes, suffering is a part of that at times as a matter of pruning and penance and so forth, but, on the whole, I’d be careful not to “err on the side of pain”. In other words, I can’t speak too specifically to your situation as far as what to do with specific worries, etc. since I don’t know what your specifics are. I would simply caution you in general to seek healing for that which needs it and then allow the Lord to take care of the rest. If you are not healed after you ask, then you might surmise it’s because the Lord wants to use your suffering for a little while (or a long while) longer. (Or maybe it’s because the Lord wants you to see someone (physician/psychologist/whatever), rather than heal you directly.

Let the Lord sort that out, is what I’m getting at. Let him be the judge and distributor of healing or graces from a lack thereof, not you.

:wink:

SK

At the risk of sounding flippant, which I don’t mean to do, the answer is “yes”. Offering suffering to God is always a good thing to do, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t ask for relief, too. I try to offer any suffering to God to use for His purposes, even if I stub a toe. It isn’t the depth of the suffering, or its duration, it’s the act of offering that is important. So, when you experience any type of suffering, go ahead and offer it it God, or Mary, but ask for relief, too.

Peace,
Linda

Remember what St. Paul said, [size=][FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]“Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church:” [/size](Colossians 1:24 )

Offer it up my dear friend. I often simply say, “Oh Lord, for whoever you wish to apply this to” :slight_smile: [/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.