Mental disorders and emotional conditions

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I would like to ask for advice on how to cope with mental illnesses more easily. It has happend a few times in my family and among my friends and all cope with it very differently and not easily at all.
I mean mostly depression, panic syndrome and lethargy. I would be interested in your experience, what kind of spiritual and physical ways and methods for faster healing you can recommend.
Thank you for your help and advice in advance.
God bless you all.

Hello,

I have bipolar disorder but ways of coping are very individual. Prayer, talking to a priest with a background in pastoral counseling, and talking to a therapist and psychiatrist or primary care doctor can all be helpful. It's hard for me to recommend techniques b/c they are different for everyone. Also if you have friends or other support at your Church then talking to them might help.

Mostly, just know that you are not alone - mental illness/emotional problems can affect a lot of people. For most people the issues are moderate and relatively temporary, with the right help. But even if you are seriously ill with a lifetime condition as I have been, you can improve a lot.

You might check your parish for resources and if you don't see what you need, check the website of your Archdiocese. Also talking to your primary care doctor is always good, and prayer always helps.

The other thing is that it is hard when these problems run in your family but even though others have difficulty getting better doesn't mean you will, or that you will have problems to the same level. Not everyone is in the same place regarding willingness to engage in treatment and stick to it. Also I prefer to call my disorder biological rather than genetic b/c even though genes might be involved, I don't think the science is totally clear on that.

Mental illness has raised a lot since 1750 with a huge increase in the 20th century and that is not just due to a larger population or an expanded definition. Also people are well-known to have more trouble in urban areas and society has become more urban in many parts of the world. So it's a matter of genes interacting with environment. Spending more time in rural or low-stress areas can really help if you also have good treatment and social support.

take care.

This site had some very good advice. It includes a forum, and has a list of support groups...of which they recommend, maybe because some depressions can be helped by being able to talk about it to others. I just found it this week, i suffer with dysthymia and it has been getting the better of me lately. So I found a group in my area, haven't called them, yet, but I might just.

dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home

They have a very accurate description of what I feel and what should or shouldn't be said to someone like me. If your friends/family have different kinds of depression, they may have a very accurate description of what they are going through too...it is very interesting to me that they suggest talk therapy, and I have intuitively thought that if someone were to listen to me, it would get better. So far, therapy with a therapist hasn't worked for me as I have trouble opening up, especially if they are paid to help. Sometimes, verbal just takes too long, oops the hour is up and we didn't get very far.

I always really thought a friend would truly be a friend if they wanted to know me...the good and the bad. I wasn't too far from accurate, but most just don't want to go there as it is a heavy burden, that is why therapy is suggested.

It's a good thing that i have music and art as an outlet. Playing an instrument, often soothes the savage beast inside...(it must release something, even did with David for Saul). Painting does it too...in a different way. Exercise, essential, but getting a lethargic soul out of bed may prove difficult, but they won't regret it if you took the time to help them.

There is someone who has been helping with these challenges for the past 1,500 years. I strongly recommend her.

Hi everyone,

First of all. You are in my prayers. May God bless you and give you comfort.

Second, I hope. I am not being in anyway argumentive. It is not my purpose for being here.

Panic Disorder is a medical condtion. I know. I have it. I take medication and this alone stopped my severe panic attacks. Which always came out of the blue. I would even have them. While, I was sleeping. My condtion is more closely in line with epilepsy. I have never seen a mental health professional. Since, I do not have Agoraphobia.

P.S. I play the guitar. It is very soothing.

People suffering with depression and anxiety can get relief from medications. You should encourage your suffering relatives to go to a doctor as soon as possible, because the faster they get treatment, the less likely the conditions are to recur. Depression especially seems to become chronic and more intense if the person is not treated when it first appears. My doctors have told me this, research seems to support it. There is nothing wrong with taking anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications.

Then they should also get help to deal with psychological issues and find a better way to deal with their emotions. Talk therapy can help with anxiety, and some with depression, if it is not only physical. I really believe that limited therapy focusing on behavioral changes that will have a positive effect is better than going over one's childhood and uncovering unhealthy patterns. But there are plenty of people who do get relief that way.

Prayer is always good, I pray the rosary when I get panic attacks. Getting on a few prayers lists will help the person who is not in a mental state well enough to pray.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:6, topic:248410"]
People suffering with depression and anxiety can get relief from medications. You should encourage your suffering relatives to go to a doctor as soon as possible, because the faster they get treatment, the less likely the conditions are to recur. Depression especially seems to become chronic and more intense if the person is not treated when it first appears. My doctors have told me this, research seems to support it. There is nothing wrong with taking anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications.

Then they should also get help to deal with psychological issues and find a better way to deal with their emotions. Talk therapy can help with anxiety, and some with depression, if it is not only physical. I really believe that limited therapy focusing on behavioral changes that will have a positive effect is better than going over one's childhood and uncovering unhealthy patterns. But there are plenty of people who do get relief that way.

Prayer is always good, I pray the rosary when I get panic attacks. Getting on a few prayers lists will help the person who is not in a mental state well enough to pray.

[/quote]

Great advise and thanks for sharing.

In my case. It is biological. I don't suffer from depression.

Thank you all so much for your valuable experience, advice and opinions. I'm praying for all of you and I agree that prayer can help the most, as our Lord is capable of doing everything He wishes, and He will help us,when He considers it's the time of help, because He loves us so much.
My experience too is that medication is inevitable. Even if the Lord can cure physical illnesses too anytime, it is not sure that He has not reasons to allow it for a while. Until He allows it to happen for any reason, we must get the positive effects of medication for our health and to funcion properly.
The only problem of medication was in the life of one of my friends is, that she got a medicine which created very strong addiction and I have no idea how to avoid these things, as we go to doctors for we trust them, and some of them may prescribe medicine which are highly addictive or may not be right for that critical condition. I guess we should pray to the Lord before going to any doctor so He gives light to the doctor what kind of medication we or our relatives and friends need.
I had panic attacks a few years ago and medication helped, but I had to take the medicine for too long. Nowadays, as a result of stressful lifestyle, these attacks are trying to come back, but I'm trying to avoid medication with prayer as much as possible. I'm praying mostly Bible verses, Psalms, read the Bible and devotional material regularly and I'm convinced that the most help was for me always the Word of God.
I have a little book of Bible verse praying methods, which means you choose a particular Bible verse connected to your conditions, and then praying it repeatedly 50-100 times a day. It gives me great peace and make me feel close to God.
I suggest that all of you and me pray regularly for each other, so we can feel that someone, who understands what we go through, keeping us in their prayers.
I will pray for you. God bless you all.

All of you have been of great help to me, and thank you also for the websites you gave me!I will the Bible verses which ones are great to pray in physical and mental conditions if you need them.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yeywu3fKWO8&feature=share

I just got this link on fb, which seems to be very helpful, a christian psychologist who I got to know only now.

I'm praying for you, also. Panic Disorder can be complication. Relaxation techniques in my case didn't work at all. The attacks were so severe and often, even to the point of being rushed to ER several times. I had no choice but medication.

The attacks would effect my blood sugar and blood pressure. Both would take a nose dive to the point of going into shock. I have had problems with my blood sugar since, I was seventeen. At first, I was tested for Type1 Diabetes. I didn't have that. But, the opposite. Hypoglocimia (too low). Now, I have Pre-Type 2. So, a severe Panic Attack with my other health issue could be dangerous.

God bless all of you. I know it is tough going through this. I have a great deal of respect for everyone posting here. It is not easy to talk about a medical condition which can have stigma attached to it. Too many people think it is your head. Not true. There are almost all of the time, underlying health problems. Depression, PD are real medical condtions and should be viewed as such.

Thank you for your prayers and sharing your experience. I have blood sugar level problems too, thank you for mentioning it, it can be connected as well. For me only extensive prayer helps and I drink herb teas and hope they will help in a while.
Overly stressed periods are not good for any illness.
I hope the Lord will listen to us and heal all of us.May He be praised forever so the dominion of darkness shall never pravail against us.Amen.

[quote="Inishfree, post:11, topic:248410"]
Too many people think it is your head. Not true. There are almost all of the time, underlying health problems. Depression, PD are real medical condtions and should be viewed as such.

[/quote]

I totally agree with you, as only the will cannot stop it and it must be admitted to get help as we get help for any physical illness.I believe that only the Lord can heal, any conditions and any illnesses, but He can use medication anytime for that, and I'm sure He does.

[quote="Inishfree, post:11, topic:248410"]
I'm praying for you, also. Panic Disorder can be complication. Relaxation techniques in my case didn't work at all. The attacks were so severe and often, even to the point of being rushed to ER several times. I had no choice but medication.

The attacks would effect my blood sugar and blood pressure. Both would take a nose dive to the point of going into shock. I have had problems with my blood sugar since, I was seventeen. At first, I was tested for Type1 Diabetes. I didn't have that. But, the opposite. Hypoglocimia (too low). Now, I have Pre-Type 2. So, a severe Panic Attack with my other health issue could be dangerous.

God bless all of you. I know it is tough going through this. I have a great deal of respect for everyone posting here. It is not easy to talk about a medical condition which can have stigma attached to it. Too many people think it is your head. Not true. There are almost all of the time, underlying health problems. Depression, PD are real medical condtions and should be viewed as such.

[/quote]

I never knew my panic attacks were hereditary until my dad got so ill from lung cancer that he could no longer use the tools he had used all his life to fight them, and had to go on Klonipin to reduce his anxiety. He finally told us he had had panic attacks off and on through most of his life, but always just went out to his shop and worked on some project or other to take his mind off of the anxiety. He had a problem being in crowds or large groups but again, we knew nothing of that. We never went anywhere in a crowd, while I was growing up. ;)

I thought it was just me being screwed-up, but as it turns out, like the shape of my fingernails and my eye and hair color, it's something I inherited from my dad. Thank God that Klonipin works wonderfully for me and I rarely have to take it any more, except if I go off my antidepressants as I did about 2 years ago. My particular depression comes packaged with anxiety which is a very bad emotional state.

I am grateful for pharmaceutical research which has provided medications that help me live a happy and productive life which I hope is pleasing to God.

[quote="iawoveuooo, post:1, topic:248410"]
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I would like to ask for advice on how to cope with mental illnesses more easily. It has happend a few times in my family and among my friends and all cope with it very differently and not easily at all.
I mean mostly depression, panic syndrome and lethargy. I would be interested in your experience, what kind of spiritual and physical ways and methods for faster healing you can recommend.
Thank you for your help and advice in advance.
God bless you all.

[/quote]

I would recommend first of all, giving thanks to God every single day for all the gifts and blessings that he has given you during your life. That will give you peae of mind and heart.

Other than that, I would advise praying the Rosary and seeking help from the Holy Spirit.

[quote="thetruth0flife, post:15, topic:248410"]
I would recommend first of all, giving thanks to God every single day for all the gifts and blessings that he has given you during your life. That will give you peae of mind and heart.

Other than that, I would advise praying the Rosary and seeking help from the Holy Spirit.

[/quote]

Thank you so much for your advice,it is really very important to give thanks to God always and praise Him and evil cannot have any power when a Christian, who loves God, prasises Him.
Thankfully most of the time I have peace of mind and heart in God,except for some occassions when I feel helpless but then I realise again that God is always there and for those who love God, everything is useful and necessary what He allows to happen.
May God bless all of you and help you in time of need, according to His promises and keep trusting in His love and guidance always.

It’s really a huge gift from God to us that medicine nowadays can solve so many problems which could not be solved before. It is also a huge relief to know that those who suffer from similar conditions, can be of help to us.
I suggest you praying and reading the Bible together with someone who is very close to you. Even if I have been feeling bad for one hour or more, the prayers and Bible reading of my love to me had helped me inexrpressably and immeditely.Besides medication, which is needed, love is the most powerful weapon against every evil as God is love.

Hi OP... I used to have chronic panic attacks, depression, anxiety, and a personality disorder. It's a huge struggle. Medication helps, it's part of the puzzle. Occasional therapy helps, although I no longer need it on a regular basis.

There are a lot of holistic things that have helped me... I exercise regularly, get a bit of sunlight every day (no sunbathing though - prone to skin cancer!), make myself get up and do things when I feel the lethargy creeping in... the will is not enough, prayer has helped tremendously. "Dear God, please help me get off my rear end because I have a family who needs me and pets who want my attention, and a garden that needs tending..." It's very difficult, I don't mean to make light of it. I tend to "fake it until I make it", or just try to carry about daily tasks until I can find my light again.

Acupuncture has also helped tremendously with my psychological problems, as well as many physical ones! My acpupuncturist is amazing, she is a medical doctor who practices Eastern Medicine only... she has been so helpful with helping treat me as a whole person, and not just a list of symptoms!

I pray for you, iawoveuooo! It is an uphill battle.... God sure has given some of us a hefty cross to bear, but thankfully Jesus bore the largest cross of all!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.