Mental Health Days and Missing Mass

I have a hard time with depression and am under a doctor’s care. It can come and go, sometimes for a few days, sometimes for months at a time. When depressed, I just don’t have the energy to get up and go. I’ll procrastinate going to the store and get my neighbor to go for me. I’ll stop cleaning the house. I call in sick to stay home from work, and stay in bed. I’ll miss my classes at school.

The long and short of it is that although I’d like to be the kind of Catholic that faithfully attends Mass every Sunday, I don’t. I often want to go to confession, but you have to sincerely commit to changing your behavior, and I know I will continue to miss Mass. There are days when I do feel up to going to Mass, but I then I realize I can’t receive Eucharist, so why bother – I can watch Mass on EWTN.

The thing is, although I feel the Church condemns me, I don’t feel that God does. I know he understands. The day will come that I’ll return to regular attendance. Am I REALLY sinning?

Lots of misconceptions here.
Go see your priest and tell him of your health concerns.
If you are genuinely ill, there is no sin incurred from missing Mass. You may receive Eucharist. ’
If this is going to be an ongoing problem, your Pastor can advise you on how to proceed with your Sunday Mass obligation, taking into account your illness.
See answers in real life. Your pastor will help you.
The Church is not condemning you.
God bless.

Do not second guess your desire to go to mass or confession. Your soul’s desire to be with God is as natural as two drops of water sitting close enough together that they become one if they touch each other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.