Mental Illness and the Value of Suffering?

People sometimes face temporary difficulties, and neuropathologists want to solve everything with pills and injections.
Many so-called mental illnesses disappear over time (after a certain period of rest), and neuropathologists aggravate the problems by driving patients into drug and psychological dependence.
Also, look - for example -
Some priests say, that loneliness of a person can be a mental problems, or almost a hell on earth, although in fact, loneliness is for many a comfortable and desirable state to which many in the modern Western world aspire.
If a person likes books,library, quietness, and does not like to socialize , it doesnt mean he is in “hell on earth”

Agreed. Having suffered with major depression for as long as I can remember, and having had to take meds since the age of 19 (I"m 38 now), I don’t think it’s brought me any closer to God, but has led me further away (despite the fact I still go to church). It’s just left me with a lot more sadness and a lot of anger towards him.

I have some cousins, aunts, and uncles with depression, anxiety, and more severe mental illnesses that I won’t name here. They have very tough lives and it does make things frustrating and difficult at times, but they deserve to have their dignity and respect upheld always and they deserve prayers.

I am sure Jesus takes into account their suffering. After all, we either atone for the temporal damage of our sins on earth or in Purgatory, this might be part of their earthly atonement. Whatever the case may be, Jesus only asks of us what we can handle.

”From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.” - Luke 12:48

Some Christian teachers, among whom there are also very educated priests, rush to make spiritual diagnoses to people who are not a construction contribution for the community, but in the modern world there are types of autism, there are types of even beliefs and attitudes, under which one should not rush either with diagnoses or statements of a person’s personality.

On account of menthal disorders, I worked in the tourism industry, and sometimes it seemed to me that there are not just people but even entire nations that look too much over-worried, anxious, and scared.
Often, the mental problems of the individual are to blame for a society that encourages- the arming of citizens, a system where only the strongest survive, persistent risks of survival as in the jungle…hence the many depressions, stresses and mental disorders.

Yeah I completely understand. And the worst part is that no matter how much I pray nothing changes, even when I try to get back into the state of grace. It’s kind of discouraging to think I might never be at peace. Specially with scrupulosity where my faith is my source of amxiety

Sorry to hear that. I’ve definitely struggled with.a lot of scrupulous thinking as well. At this point, I just don’t bother praying anymore.

That’s quite understandable, but at least your hear with us on CAF. :slight_smile:

Do you go to daily mass or Eucharistic adoration, Joanna?

Well, we will pray for you then, if you can’t. :slight_smile:

No and I why bother now because I’m not in a state of grace and is becoming difficult to go to confession for me. Honestly, from my experience, going to confession only makes me suffer more and it becomes unbearable so I fall back into sin and the cycle goes on. I don’t know if there is even a point now to go often.

Mental illness has a strong component in determination of whether a person is in a state of Grace or not.

I think @edward_george1 could speak to how mental illness needs to be taken into consideration in deciding if a person is in a state of Grace or not.

My 29 year old cousin unfortunately succeeded Christmas Eve. Being around his siblings and my aunt and uncle at his funeral was overwhelming. I couldn’t be around my aunt without almost crying. Suicide is heartbreaking.

That’s really terrible.

Sorry for you loss, PJH.

His marriage was collapsing, he was an alcoholic, and was living in a hotel room that his employer gave him to live in. Most of his extended family saw him just a few weeks before he died and tried to support him. Honestly he’ll be missed, but it’s the heartbreak of his immediate family that threw tons of support his way and his 10 month old child who will never really meet his dad.

I know Catholic teaching on suicide, but looking at this sort of thing as self-murder is so wrong. It’s a physiologic issue and feeling your soul so drained you feel you are completely worthless. We need to concentrate on lifting up their understanding of being worth something (in God’s eye too) not telling them they are headed to hell. From a Christian perspective Jesus was here to redeem, especially those most in need.

Suicide is, by no means, a ticket to hell. Most people commit suicide due to serious mental illness. Of course, God doesn’t want the person to do that.

People who commit suicide are no more likely to go to Hell than other souls. That is my thought. I don’t think it contradicts Catholic teaching in any way.

Fwiw, on another thread about suicide, I read that many people in pagan societies of that time committed suicide for reasons other than mental health issues, like the Japanese used to if they lost in a military situation.

Certainly mental health would mitigate culpability in suicide in a contemporary situation.

Hello, I’m hoping for many replies and a good conversation about this.

Mental illness: I am telling you: anyone here, I can throw about any mental illness out within 30 minutes. In best conditions.

I understand how the above looks. But maybe first look at replies. (If any, or if anyone dares :slight_smile:

Blessed are those who weep - Jesus

Hello, mental illness is a disease like others, it needs to be treated by medical professionals, we would hardly suggest a person having a heart attack is being tested by God.

https://zenit.org/articles/the-mentally-ill-patient-a-faithful-image-of-god-2/

The Mentally Ill Patient: A Faithful Image of God

Cardinal Lozano Barragán’s Address at World Day of the Sick

FEBRUARY 18, 2006

ADELAIDE, Australia, FEB. 18, 2006 (Zenit.org).- Here is an excerpt of an address Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragán, president of the Pontifical Council for Health Care Workers, prepared for World Day of the Sick. The main events of the World Day were held Feb. 9-11 in Adelaide.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.