Mentions of God "hating"

In what context should I take the following passages?..

Hosea 9:15
“All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them:
for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house,
I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters.”

Psalm 5:4-5
“For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness:
neither shall evil dwell with thee.
The foolish shall not stand in thy sight:
thou hatest all workers of iniquity.”

Romans 9:13
“As it is written, Jacob have I loved,
but Esau have I hated.”

Leviticus 20:13, 23
“If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman,
both of them have committed an abomination:
they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation,
which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things,
and therefore I abhorred them.”

Deuteronomy 32:19
“And when the Lord saw it, he abhorred them,
because of the provoking of his sons, and of his daughters.”

Is there a misunderstanding in translation or context I should be educated about?

Also, there’s a certain verse that I forget at the moment which said something like God hardens certain peoples hearts or allows them to live a lie and wills them to perish or something to that effect. Can someone remind me which verse that is if you know what I’m talking about…and how I should understand said verse in the right context?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Men are either in God’s favor by what they do or they are not. You’ll notice in the Old Testament that God’s “hatred” for men played into God’s Redemptive Plan for man. For instance, where God exiles the remainder of his people, only to bring them back to the place he exiled them from. It is not in fact God who placed enmity between himself and man, that was man’s doing. God merely corrects men of their mistakes. There is a passage in Exodus where God hardens the heart of pharaoh in order for pharaoh to carry out the will of God. Just because there is strife between God and man does not diminish God’s mercy; for God sin is an easy thing. Sin is reserved to God, as Creator, in order for God to carry out his plan for creation. When God uses sin He is not overcome by sin and He remains unblemished, if that is fathomable to you.

Think about God’s hate this way…

I hate it when my kids fight. I hate it when they pinch or hit each other. I hate it when they throw things around the house, especially when it hits someone else. That doesn’t mean I don’t love them dearly.

God is a lot like a loving parent. He doesn’t like some of the things that we do. He gets mad when we really step out of line. He puts some people into a “time out” (to use the modern/pc phrase). Some of those figure out they were bad and don’t repeat; some don’t and persist, and some refuse to come out of their room when the “time out” is over. And a few will run away from home.

We all do things that drive God bonkers. Some of us do so without knowledge of what he wants, or accidentally. We still need the “time out”. Like a child, if we were ignorant or it was an accident, we’re not in “time out” too long. If we persist, the “time outs” get harsher. And, of course, if we run away from home bad things can happen.

Also see Ezekiel 33:10-20. Puts the whole hating thing in a bit of perspective.

God DOES NOT hate.

Hatred is not in His nature.

Hatred is a human emotion that came as a result of the Fall (along with other emotions including fear, sadness, and anxiety.

Authors of scripture, even though (or because of being) inspired by the Holy Spirit, related Godly characteristics to human emotion because it was a frame of reference they could understand, and that their readers would understand, because it is difficult for man to comprehend that God exists in a beatific state.

But, thankfully, by the hope and promise of the Gospel, we too may someday be in that same Godly state, and no longer be slaves to human emotion.

Peace and all good!

Since God is all knowing and all powerful and most of all, true righteousness, when God “hates” then it is fully just. This makes it different from human hatred. Humans are not omnipotent like God is. Its not the same.

I second tvknight’s post above. Good post, well put.

My translation reads :rejected

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.