Mercy in Islam

This topic came up on another thread and the Muslim engaged in the discussion avoided this direct question. I am wondering if any other Muslims would like to answer it:

Qur’an 74:31 NQ And We have set none but angels as guardians of the Fire, and We have fixed their number (19) only as a trial for the disbelievers, in order that the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) may arrive at a certainty [that this Qur’ân is the truth as it agrees with their Books i.e. their number (19) is written in the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] and the believers may increase in Faith (as this Qur’ân is the truth) and that no doubts may be left for the people of the Scripture and the believers, and that those in whose hearts is a disease (of hypocrisy) and the disbelievers may say: “What Allâh intends by this (curious) example ?” Thus Allâh leads astray whom He wills and guides whom He wills. And none can know the hosts of your Lord but He. And this (Hell) is nothing else than a (warning) reminder to mankind.

I know that many muslims claim that a major theme of Islam and a major attribute of Allah’s is mercy.

Please tell me how is that merciful?

A person doesn’t believe Muhammad, so god himself leads the person astray for the rest of his life, thereby causing that person to go to hell. What chance does the person have? Where is the mercy? If god is lying to you, how would you detect it?

Why dont you post your question on a Islamic board?

go to

ummah.com or sunniforum.com/forum/

Or is it easier and safe to post here so more people can gang up on them? :shrug:

If you want the answer you need to go straight to the horses mouth…

Because I want to see what the Muslims who frequent this board have to say.

there is not many here and a few that post seem to be sock puppets. You wont get a very good perspective on a christian board. :shrug:
But I am sure you know that! thats why people post Islamic questions here…you get to hear what you want to here… :rolleyes:

the opinions expressed here correspond with those on FFI for example, so there’s no reason to think they’re not genuine Muslim posters SpaceGirl

Many posters on Ummah.com are terrorist sympathizers. I wouldn’t go there.

SpaceGirl,

I for one have asked and learned a lot of positive things about other religions on this forum. Your assessments may be correct, but then again it is just as likely to be presumptuousness. Allow people to ask what they wish where they wish and pray that we all my be guided by the Holy Spirit.

God Bless.

eliasaph99,

I can not really answer your OP, but hope you can get some answers to your query soon.

Bug off. If you don’t like the thread, skip it. No one asked you to participate.

Not very “Christian” are you?

Have you heard of a man named Jesus? I am sure if you read the bible you can learn a few things from him! :wink:

Have a great day. :smiley:

P.S. This is a public forum and I can go where I wish.

Do you think people who reject Jesus Christ will go to Heaven? Or will they be in Hell?

I don’t see how the Qur’an describing God punishing people for rejecting Him is anything different to what the Bible teaches.

it’s quite clear comparing the Koran and the Bible that there are major differences. why you cannot see this is open to speculation.
how much of the Bible have you read?

Kadaveri,
Don’t be silly. You know Islam condemns those to hell who do not follow Mohammed’s message.

Of course I know that Islam teaches those who reject him will go to Hell, that’s exactly what I said. I’m just pointing out that this is hardly something exclusive to Islam. Does Christianity teach that those who reject Jesus (as) will go to Heaven?

And I know there are major differences between the Qur’an and the Bible Jack (I’ve read it several times, NIV mostly though, which I’m aware Catholics aren’t too fond of), but apart from the divinity given to Jesus (as) in some parts of the New Testament, the message they promote are more or less the same, which is the important thing.

Hi Kadaveri,

My understanding is that the bible teaches those who knowingly and willingly reject Jesus will not go to heaven. However, I do not see how this can be equated to those poeple who Allah has lead astray going to hell.

if you’ve read the Bible several times (and I have no problem with NIV, brought up on it as it happens) then I fail to see how you think the message is the same
there’s so many differences
our God welcomes all who come to him
he will not crush the bruised reed, or snuff out the dimly burning flame
in the bits of the Koran I’ve read I haven’t seen anything about Allah being a God of Love

Answer to your two questions:

People who knowingly reject Christ up to the moment of death will be in Hell.

Response to your second point:

The difference is that Christ will not lead them there. He does not lead them astray. Quite to the contrary, He calls to them their entire lives and is always ready to forgive and welcome them. The story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-32 is my favorite explanation of this. It brings to me to tears almost every time I read it.

In the verse I quoted from the Qur’an, Allah states that he will lead astray those who reject Muhammad and his Qur’an. So in the Qur’an, god leads people to hell. What chance do you have if god is leading you to hell?

The verse I quoted is not the only example of Allah stating this either.

So how is it any different to the numerous times in Exodus God hardens the hearts of Pharoah and his officials? Or the prayer in Lamentations for God to cast a veil over the hearts of his enemies as they deserve?

Could you please answer the question about Islam instead of using a tu quoque argument? The OP isn’t asking about the Bible, but about what Islam teaches about mercy.

I thought you had read the Bible thoroughly? If so, you would realise the two situations are different.
Pharoah had already decided not to let the children of Israel go. Yahweh was making a demonstration of his power. It is not the same as condemning someone to hell is it?
The Psalms and Lamentations should be read as what they are - the outpourings of human beings - therefore the wishes of the psalter/lamenter are not the wishes of God but imperfect human beings.
That’s called hermeneutics.

Jesus Christ is both a historical person and a universal principle.

Those who don’t know of, or can’t (not won’t), accept Jesus the historical person but can accept the universal principle OF Jesus MAY go to heaven.

Whether they reject the god of islam, which is not, as described in the books of islam, God as God, is irrelevant as to whether they will go to heaven of not.

The books of islam can say what they wish to say. Since I give them no credence as pertains to the subject of salvation, why doI care what they say about it?

Mahalo ke Akua…!
E pili mau na pomaikai iaoe. Aloha nui.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.