MERGED: absolution?/conditions of a papal blessing?

I watched the new pope Fancis offer his first blessing and he prayed for an indulgence and remission of sin. Does that have the act of an absolution? Or does one still need to see the priest?

One still needs to confess to a priest.

1. To gain indulgences, whether plenary or partial, it is necessary that the faithful be in the state of grace at least at the time the indulgenced work is completed.

[N.B. Thus, one must be a Catholic in communion with the Pope, i.e. not excommunicated or in schism.]

1. A plenary indulgence can be gained only once a day. In order to obtain it, the faithful must, in addition to being in the state of grace:

—have the interior disposition of complete detachment from sin, even venial sin;

—have sacramentally confessed their sins;

—receive the Holy Eucharist (it is certainly better to receive it while participating in Holy Mass, but for the indulgence only Holy Communion is required);

—pray for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff.

1. It is appropriate, but not necessary, that the sacramental Confession and especially Holy Communion and the prayer for the Pope's intentions take place on the same day that the indulgenced work is performed; but it is sufficient that these sacred rites and prayers be carried out within several days (about 20) before or after the indulgenced act. Prayer for the Pope's intentions is left to the choice of the faithful, but an "Our Father" and a "Hail Mary" are suggested. One sacramental Confession suffices for several plenary indulgences, but a separate Holy Communion and a separate prayer for the Holy Father's intentions are required for each plenary indulgence.

Source: ewtn.com/expert/answers/indulgences_conditions.htm

When Pope Francis I gave his blessing tonight, they said we all can use it to apply a plenary indulgence for it. How is this applied and what are the conditions?

Thanks for your help.

houston1

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=764244

I am gobsmacked. Had something weighing on my mind for some time, and finally plucked up the courage to go to confession this morning. I later came back through a snowstorm to have mass at 6.00pm, during which the priest announced that white smoke had gone up. If you ever needed hope....

[quote="lucymeadhbh, post:6, topic:318431"]
I am gobsmacked. Had something weighing on my mind for some time, and finally plucked up the courage to go to confession this morning. I later came back through a snowstorm to have mass at 6.00pm, during which the priest announced that white smoke had gone up. If you ever needed hope....

[/quote]

Awesome :highprayer:

[quote="billcu1, post:1, topic:318431"]
I watched the new pope Fancis offer his first blessing and he prayed for an indulgence and remission of sin. Does that have the act of an absolution? Or does one still need to see the priest?

[/quote]

No it was not absolution as in Absolution of Sins in the Sacrament.....

Such was his formula for the blessing and indulgence -- not sacramental absolution of sins.

I watched the blessing of Pope Francis as it was streamed on EWTN on my computer at work. I work at a school...while our Holy Father was giving the blessing classes dismissed for the day with a ton of noise in the hallway, my boss asked me a question, my grandson (who goes to the school) flew into my office and showed me something he got in a class today....I was trying to pay attention to the blessing as best I could and made the sign of the cross when he did that part of the blessing.

I went to confession and Holy Communion over the weekend and have been praying for Pope Francis all day...do you think I have met the requirements for the indulgence (in view of all that was going on as I watched the blessing)?

[quote="Pax2u, post:9, topic:318431"]
I watched the blessing of Pope Francis as it was streamed on EWTN on my computer at work. I work at a school...while our Holy Father was giving the blessing classes dismissed for the day with a ton of noise in the hallway, my boss asked me a question, my grandson (who goes to the school) flew into my office and showed me something he got in a class today....I was trying to pay attention to the blessing as best I could and made the sign of the cross when he did that part of the blessing.

I went to confession and Holy Communion over the weekend and have been praying for Pope Francis all day...do you think I have met the requirements for the indulgence (in view of all that was going on as I watched the blessing)?

[/quote]

I haven't actually watched his blessing. I have just been getting the news on this forum. I didn't know it mattered if you actually witnessed the blessing or not as long as you are faithful and in communion with the church. I think you have met the requirements personally Pax, but does anyone else have any insight?

[quote="houston1, post:4, topic:318431"]
When Pope Francis I gave his blessing tonight,

[/quote]

Not to go all grammar crazy, it is just Pope Francis. There has to be a second to be called before he is called the first

[quote="Liam_Burke, post:11, topic:318431"]
Not to go all grammar crazy, it is just Pope Francis. There has to be a second to be called before he is called the first

[/quote]

ha ha ha true - but when the news first stated his name they used Pope Fancis I

Does this apply only watching it live or later on video?

Anyone have a good video of his address and blessing with a good english translation? Listening to the translators try to translate the prayers incorrectly is annoying.

:D

True, I also saw His Holiness Fancis I, SJ

Thanks for your replies. I was wondering how getting an indulgence for a papal blessing differs from other plenary indulgences. What is the difference?

[quote="Liam_Burke, post:14, topic:318431"]
True, I also saw His Holiness Fancis I, SJ

[/quote]

It has been clarifed - just Pope Francis

As Fr Lombardi said today: "It will become Francis I after we have a Francis II,"

Please see my earlier reply to this thread…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.