MERGED: Are we in the "last days"? When Will Christ Return and the world end?

My dad told me this evening that if the world does not end in his life time, it will end in mine. I KNOW THAT KNOW ONE KNOWS WHEN THE WORLD WILL END. I am just looking for opinions here, based on the state of society, scripture, etc…

Do you think we are nearing the end of the world, and if you had to put a number on it, how long do you think it will be?

Not looking to get into a serious theological debate here, simply asking for your opinion…

By ‘end of the world’ do you mean the ‘end of Earth’ or the ‘end of human population on Earth’?

I believe Earth will last millions of years. Not sure about human population, but if I had to guess I would say many thousands of years.

I mean when will Jesus come again. I guess I phrased it kind of weird.

Thanks for clarifying.

I have no idea! :shrug:

Whenever I get caught up in all the hype for end of the world stuff I have to ask myself what it means to me personally. When God wills the world to end, it will. When Jesus comes back he will. :shrug: My job is to remain in a state of Grace. And actually for all intents and purposes YOUR world will end in your lifetime. You will die. And since we don’t know that day either we should approach it the same.

From a personal standpoint I couldn’t care less when the world ends. But from a “justice” standpoint I do kind of want it to be during my lifetime, because that is when God sets things right. And I do hate the injustice there is in modern society in regards to sin and evil.

No one knows the hour…

It may happen in our lifetimes, it may not. The only time you should worry about such things is if your soul is in a state of mortal sin (then any kind of death is frightening). If you’re in a state of sanctifying grace and you do your best to follow the Lord with all your ability, then you have nothing to fear. It happens when it happens.

No clue whatsoever. I tend to think a long way off (somewhere between of hundreds and billions of years from now - you know, precisely defined), just because lots of people have thought that it would be in their lifetime, and have always been wrong. But I freely admit that eventually someone will say that and be right, and that it could easily be someone alive today. So it could be tomorrow. But I doubt it.

Christ himself said that only God The Father knows the day and time of the end of the world.

Matthew 24:36.

That should have settled it for people, right?

No one knows when, not even Jesus knows only the Father knows. It’s really hard to say how near we are, after Jesus was crucified they thought the end would happen in their lifetime and in the all the years since then people have thought it would happen in their lifetime. So it’s kind of common though wrong for some people to think the world will end in their lifetime or their kid’s lifetime. For all we know it could be another 2,000 years before Jesus returns or He could return in 2 days. :shrug: No one knows.

Agreed !! It was not meant for us to know the hour or the day. So always be prepared. I often wonder how much longer God will tolerate so much evil in our world. I pray for that to end but I also worry about so many being unprepared. God Bless, Memaw

I doubt it will happen anytime soon,

While it is true no one can know the exact day or hour, Jesus did tell us SIGNS to watch for, that would let us know what to look for, so I would say, look these up and compare them to the modern world…its really that simple imo!!

For instance, Jesus says, during this time frame, men will be boasters, lovers of self, money, power, etc., knowledge will increase greatly in the world, people will travel to and fro frequently, there are many more…I cant think of the exact section of the bible this is in, but it does go into pretty good details about the general time period.

**Jesus continued by saying, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. And there shall be signs in the sun and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken." (Luke 21 v.10-11, 25-26)

Now, what could cause mens hearts to fail them in fear from seeing ‘things’ coming onto the earth?!
In my personal opinion, I feel it will probably be within 50 years.

If Im wrong though, and the second coming does not happen for many 1000s of years, think about society by that time!!!..would we even recognize it? I dont think so, look at the world just 100 yrs ago compared to today!!! now think of what the world will be like in the year 2114, or even 3114!! Humans may not even be living on the planet earth by then…what would technology look like? I think it would be something we cannot even comprehend today, what if humans by then come up with a way to beat death? Its entirely possible IMO, give our race enough time to evolve and progress, our technology will be absolutely incredible and probably unbelievable!

I just have a feeling God would not let our race get to that advanced of a state.

That is an interesting idea. How far will God allow us to advance before He returns? :hmmm:

We have a number of examples. Noah, Lot with Sodom Gomorrah, the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full, so the people of Israel had to spend 400 years in Egypt before that time was full.

The thing about all these civilization is that they were not advancing, they sacrificed advancing civilization for debauched civilization. They had turned advancement of civilization into advancement of pleasure. That is the thing that caused the fall of all reputable civilizations, with or without God’s intervention. It is when we stop advancing as a civilization, and turn around and go backward into self-pursuit that the stage will be set for the Antichrist and the final days.

I’ve narrowed the hour down to 9:30am. Still working on the month, day, year tho.

I think it will end on the feast of Christ the King. So, probably in November.

Since a day is like a 1000 years to the Lord, and we are in the 1000 year reign of Christ. I’m guessing it will end within the next 363,000 years (2000 have passed).

So, is the reign from the Incarnation or the Ascension?

We don’t have to wait for the end of the world or worry about it - we each have a day that will be an end to this life in the world - prepare yourself for that - today. As it was said earlier no-one knows but we do know our days are numbered its the one thing we can count on - so does it really matter? Its right in-front of us we just don’t see it or want to acknowledge it.

I don’t prepare for the end of the world I prepare for the end of my life.

How did you arrive at that time of day?

I think there is something to the ‘increase in knowledge, and people frequently traveling’ that is mentioned as 2 of the signs that the 2nd coming is near…what would qualify as a marked increase in knowledge among the human race?..Could it have been the internet, where now anyone can go look up anything they want to know about in seconds? or could it be something in the future that will increase our knowledge far beyond where we are now (that is interesting though).

Regarding increases in travel, I dont see how we could get an increase in travel, beyond where we are now, unless some MAJOR discoveries are made in the future and travel is changed or made much easier, this would coincide with the increase in knowledge as well…who knows, maybe teleportation will be discovered, then we will really have people traveling!!!

I think theres a little confusion about the literal end of the world and the second coming of Jesus, just because Jesus comes again, does not mean its the end of the world/planet, its very possible when Jesus comes again, it WILL be the end for the human race, but not the planet earth, for all we know, maybe God will decide to start over and create another race of beings.

However, when Jesus does come again, and all the people that ever lived, are risen again, in their earthly bodies, this will involve everyone, so the point of their earthly death is really not the same thing as the true end, that will be completely different.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.