MERGED: Chrism Mass

I just got home from the Chrism Mass. It was amazing!
Could some one help me, why does the Bishop breath on the oils?

The Bishop breathes only on the Chrism and it is through this action that the Holy Spirit comes down upon the Chrism that is consecrated. The Chrism stands out in this respect because it is with this sacred oil that we are anointed at our baptism and confirmation, that priests hands are anointed in order to confect the Eucharist and that new altars are anointed as the altar of sacrifice and the sacred meal.

The other oils, the Oil of the Sick and the Oil of the Catehumens are blessed by the bishop but only the Chrism is consecrated.

We have our Chrism Mass on Holy Thursday morning. It's a beautiful way to begin the Triduum. Since I am involved with RCIA on the diocesan level I usually get to accompany the deacon in procession with the Oils of the Catechumens.

Our Mass of Chrism was Wednesday. I’ve been to it a couple of times and found it a beautiful liturgy - once I was delegated by my priest to receive the Holy Oils.

Unfortunately our diocese is too widespread to allow our priests to attend Chrism Mass on Holy Thursday morning and make it back to their parishes for the Mass of the Lord’s Supper so it’s usually held at the end of diocesan meetings in the week before Holy Week. This year Fr. called to see if I wanted to go and attend with him but I was working and couldn’t get away for the two or three days that would be required: fly out one day, Chrism Mass the next day and fly back the third day. I suggested he ask the woman who fills in as sacristan when the regular sacristan is away. She does a lot for the Church and doesn’t get out much.

I have heard it is a beautiful service, so glad you had a great experience. That is interesting about the Bishop breathing in at the Chrism. Ours is this afternoon and I was selected to receive the oils so I am very excited. I hope I do not mess anything up.lol

Thank you,
Yes it was amazing! So beautiful, I hope we talk about it in our last RCIA before confirmation. That is tomorrow :thumbsup:

Is it just me or are you sad to be ending RCIA? Obviously, I still want to be active at my parish but it saddens me as I look forward to every Wednesday night:)

I have mixed feelings to be honest. I will be glad not to have to make that drive but I will miss my fellow RCIA students, our fellowship and discussions!

Oh I could see that, I only have to drive 10 minutes but yes we have really became a family.

I've never been to one before and last night I was carrying the oil of the sick in the offertory procession. It was all RCIA candidates and catachumens who were carrying the gifts. We all thought it very fitting that I had the oil of the sick because I have been struggling with illness and then injury for more than 12 weeks now. I was limping badly last night and it took every ounce of my being to not stumble as we made the procession around the cathedral.

Yesterday, I attended my first Chrism Mass. With RCIA and being Confirmed this Saturday, I want to attend all of the Holy Week masses, and I will tell you this was wonderful . The precession of all of the Priests and the part where they renewed their vows was AMAZING, so powerful. I was chosen to receive the Holy Oils and that was a wonderful experience in itself! My husband and I got a picture with the Archbishop at the reception, he was such a kind, humble man. as you could tell I was pretty excited (this is the only picture I have as of now, cell phone quality, sorry)! The experience was amazing.

Interesting enough, I had a horrible migraine all day yesteday at work, no medicine was helping. I was in so much pain, but was not going to miss out on attending this. I get to the Cathedral and I still had a headache. When the precession began and the incense began, I promise you it went right away. The whole time I was in there AND at the reception, I felt completely fine. When I got to my car to leave, it came right back. I don’t know if it was because I was so focused on the service or if all of the holiness just took me over! I thought that was neat. Has anyone else experienced pain or illness and while attending, you felt more than 100%? It was as if the presence, healed me the whole time I was there. Thank you for letting me share!

ETA guess I can not share pictures.tinypic.com/r/bh5xk/6

I just love the Chrism Mass. I’d skip my own funeral to attend.

Your experience sounds like how I felt after my first Chrism Mass. It began a period of great spiritual fruitfulness for me, so if this happens to you as well hang on to your hat because you are in for quite a ride!

What time did your Chrism Mass take place, if I may ask? Ours was at 7:00pm yesterday; I don’t know if there was a reception afterward, but I certainly would not have gone anyway because the Chrism Mass, for all its beauty, is still one long liturgy and I had a Mass this morning at 9:00am (I’m a sacristan).

I haven’t had the experience you had with pain or illness during the Chrism Mass, but I’m glad your migraine didn’t deter you from going.

There is something about the Chrism Mass that I can’t quite put my finger on, but it is one of my favorite Masses every year. Right up there with ordination Masses :thumbsup:

Almost all the archdiocese’s priests attend, and I really like being able to exchange a few words with priests I don’t see very often. Oh, and the two ICRSS canons were there, too. I had wondered how/where they get their chrism every year, since the ICRSS is of pontifical right (directly responsible to the Holy See) instead of diocesan right (under the authority of the [arch]bishop). Now I know :cool:

After having been ignored by my own pastor each of the three times we crossed paths :rolleyes: (long story), a certain Fr. D made my evening when he greeted me warmly and said, “Hello! It’s such a pleasure to see you!” The last time we’d seen each other was only three days earlier :smiley:

But anyway.

I’ll be praying for you as you’re confirmed on Holy Saturday. Welcome home! :hug3:

I remember my first Chrism Mass. I felt like a little kid at Christmas, and I don’t know why. I really loved the significance and historicity of it. It’s such an ancient part of the Church where we celebrate the institution of the priesthood and bless the Holy Oils. I loved it so much that I’ve gone every year since. There’s just something unique about it. My diocese always celebrates it on Holy Thursday, and I feel like that day is just different from any other day. It sends chills up my spine. We start off the day joyful with the institution of the priesthood and Eucharist, and end the day with our Lord in the praetorium awaiting his death. It’s just mystical to me.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:12, topic:320201"]
I remember my first Chrism Mass. I felt like a little kid at Christmas, and I don't know why. I really loved the significance and historicity of it. It's such an ancient part of the Church where we celebrate the institution of the priesthood and bless the Holy Oils. I loved it so much that I've gone every year since. There's just something unique about it. My diocese always celebrates it on Holy Thursday, and I feel like that day is just different from any other day. It sends chills up my spine. We start off the day joyful with the institution of the priesthood and Eucharist, and end the day with our Lord in the praetorium awaiting his death. It's just mystical to me.

[/quote]

It is most definitely a chilling experience!

[quote="UpUpAndAway, post:11, topic:320201"]
I just love the Chrism Mass. I'd skip my own funeral to attend.

Your experience sounds like how I felt after my first Chrism Mass. It began a period of great spiritual fruitfulness for me, so if this happens to you as well hang on to your hat because you are in for quite a ride!

What time did your Chrism Mass take place, if I may ask? Ours was at 7:00pm yesterday; I don't know if there was a reception afterward, but I certainly would not have gone anyway because the Chrism Mass, for all its beauty, is still one long liturgy and I had a Mass this morning at 9:00am (I'm a sacristan).

I haven't had the experience you had with pain or illness during the Chrism Mass, but I'm glad your migraine didn't deter you from going.

There is something about the Chrism Mass that I can't quite put my finger on, but it is one of my favorite Masses every year. Right up there with ordination Masses :thumbsup:

Almost all the archdiocese's priests attend, and I really like being able to exchange a few words with priests I don't see very often. Oh, and the two ICRSS canons were there, too. I had wondered how/where they get their chrism every year, since the ICRSS is of pontifical right (directly responsible to the Holy See) instead of diocesan right (under the authority of the [arch]bishop). Now I know :cool:

After having been ignored by my own pastor each of the three times we crossed paths :rolleyes: (long story), a certain Fr. D made my evening when he greeted me warmly and said, "Hello! It's such a pleasure to see you!" The last time we'd seen each other was only three days earlier :D

But anyway.

I'll be praying for you as you're confirmed on Holy Saturday. Welcome home! :hug3:

[/quote]

Thank you so much! This was so very special. It was at 3P.M. yesterday, a beautiful sunshiny day. I was surrounded by utter goodness and you could feel it. I'm glad you had a wonderful experience as well. I try to go to mass 2-3 times per week but I wish I could go everyday!

Wasnt that just…AMAZING!
This was my 2nd Chrism mass, I started attending Masses last year at the beginning of lent.
I was so moved by it last year I cried a little. Watching Priest after Priest of different ethnicities really touched my heart!
It was wonderful, this year I knew several of the priests and the Bishop :slight_smile:
Instead of just nodding at a few people afterwards This year I was chatting with the sisters and they along with the priests were congratulating me on this Saturday!

Congratulations to you too, after what at one time had seemed like forever, Confirmation is days away!! :signofcross::highprayer:

Welcome home to the Church!

I have never been to a Chrism Mass. I will make a note to do so.

[quote="MaryRita85, post:14, topic:320201"]
I was surrounded by utter goodness and you could feel it.

[/quote]

Yes, that's a great way of putting it. That, and the historicity CatholicZ09 spoke of.

Here's what I told my mother after my first Chrism Mass. Even now I can't describe it any better:

What a fascinating experience. :signofcross: EWTN describes the Chrism Mass as "a journey into the heart of all we believe." That's probably the best way to summarize the Chrism Mass in one sentence, but it doesn't even come close to covering how it feels to participate in one. It's a very Catholic service, a visible sign of the Church's structure and authority. An edifying event for Catholics. I had the impression of observing something that cannot be destroyed. I really don't know how to explain it otherwise.

...]the cathedral was overrun with clergy. During the Eucharistic consecration, every priest in attendance raised his hands and participated vocally in the act. Very powerful!

[quote="MaryRita85, post:14, topic:320201"]
I try to go to mass 2-3 times per week but I wish I could go everyday!

[/quote]

I'm Roman Catholic from the cradle, and I used to think daily Mass was for fanatical nutjobs who had nothing better to do with their time. I started going daily on the -]orders/-] advice of my pastor, who "prescribed" this remedy in response to some problems I was having in my spiritual life. At the time, I thought he was out of his mind. Now I can't imagine not going every day. I attend a minimum of ten Masses per week (but again, I am a sacristan so I'm serving most of those as well). Since it is your wish to attend Mass daily, I pray you'll find a way to do so. :thumbsup:

[quote="PaulfromIowa, post:16, topic:320201"]
I have never been to a Chrism Mass. I will make a note to do so.

[/quote]

I strongly encourage you, and everyone, to attend at least once in your life! :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.