MERGED: Holy water and lent/Ashes in the font

Just wondering if anyone elses’ parish has removed the holy water…

My local parish has done so, but I’d never seen it removed at the beginning of lent…

It shouldn’t be… :frowning:
Lent is a time when we need holy water more than ever!

I remember one year when my church removed the holy water and put rocks into the fonts. ROCKS! Yup. I was dismayed.

When my daughter and I went to church last Saturday, the water had been removed. The first thing my daughter knows to do when she enters the church is to bless herself, and it is the last thing we do before leaving. This has thrown her off.

I did not know it shouldn’t be. I cannot remember if it was before I came back to the church. That was 22 years ago:(

See Father Z’s Dumb liberal idea #3464 = Reason #583739 for Summorum Pontificum: Removing Holy Water during Lent

Especially the reprint of the Vatican answer forbidding that:

Prot. N. 569/00/L
March 14, 2000
Dear Father:
This Congregation for Divine Worship has received your letter sent by fax in which you ask whether it is in accord with liturgical law to remove the Holy Water from the fonts for the duration of the season of Lent.
This Dicastery is able to respond that the removing of Holy Water from the fonts during the season of Lent is not permitted, in particular, for two reasons:

1. The liturgical legislation in force does not foresee this innovation, which in addition to being praeter legem is contrary to a balanced understanding of the season of Lent, which though truly being a season of penance, is also a season rich in the symbolism of water and baptism, constantly evoked in liturgical texts.
  2. The encouragement of the Church that the faithful avail themselves frequently of the [sic] of her sacraments and sacramentals is to be understood to apply also to the season of Lent. The “fast” and “abstinence” which the faithful embrace in this season does not extend to abstaining from the sacraments or sacramentals of the Church. The practice of the Church has been to empty the Holy Water fonts on the days of the Sacred Triduum in preparation of the blessing of the water at the Easter Vigil, and it corresponds to those days on which the Eucharist is not celebrated (i.e., Good Friday and Holy Saturday).
    Hoping that this resolves the question and with every good wish and kind regard, I am,
    Sincerely yours in Christ,
    [signed]
    Mons. Mario Marini [Later, the Secretary of the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, now with God.]
    Undersecretary

It should not be removed, the Vatican has said so.

Prot. N. 569/00/L

Dear Father:
This Congregation for Divine Worship has received your letter sent by fax in which you ask whether it is in accord with liturgical law to remove the Holy Water from the fonts for the duration of the season of Lent.

This Dicastery is able to respond that the removing of Holy Water from the fonts during the season of Lent is not permitted, in particular, for two reasons:

The liturgical legislation in force does not foresee this innovation, which in addition to being praeter legem is contrary to a balanced understanding of the season of Lent, which though truly being a season of penance, is also a season rich in the symbolism of water and baptism, constantly evoked in liturgical texts.

The encouragement of the Church that the faithful avail themselves frequently of the sacraments is to be understood to apply also to the season of Lent. The “fast” and “abstinence” which the faithful embrace in this season does not extend to abstaining from the sacraments or sacramentals of the Church.

The practice of the Church has been to empty the Holy Water fonts on the days of the Sacred Triduum in preparation of the blessing of the water at the Easter Vigil, and it corresponds to those days on which the Eucharist is not celebrated (i.e., Good Friday and Holy Saturda).
Hoping that this resolves the question with every good wish and kind regard, I am,

Sincerely yours in Christ,
Mons. Mario Marini
Undersecretary

I echo the Curt Jester. We need it more during lent!

Aside from the fact that this should not be done… :tsktsk:

This was a fad back in the 1990s. Some parishes need to join the modern world! :whistle:

My parish has not done this certainly. Why would they remove they holy water?

Well, it didn’t matter that they did it in mine because for the longest time they just filled the fonts with tap water. Thankfully the new pastor put a stop to that!

I still see this all the time.

AIUI, it is done because our LORD was in a desert, and deserts have no water. But in view of the Vatican proscription of this practice, it seems wrongheaded, to say the least.

ICXC NIKA

But holy water doesn’t have to be anything other than blessed tap water…

Exactly; the only time Holy Water should be removed from the Church is after the Holy Thursday Mass services.

On Good Friday there is NO holy Water, the Altar is stripped, the Tabernacle is empty with its doors wide open, the Statues and Crucifix is veiled, all plants removed from the Sanctuary.

The New Water of Life is blessed on the evening Vigil on Holy Saturday.

On Easter Sunday morning Holy Water is replenished in all fonts around the Church.

Its sad to see Holy Water removed from fonts at the beginning of Lent.
Nothing but New Age Secular Liturgy infiltrating many parishes. Its a shame.

I’ve seen Sand replaced in the Holy Water fonts.
Nothing like pounding sand when you enter your parish during Lent:sad_yes:

It wasn’t blessed…

Ok, you’re right, that is a problem. But are you sure? Did you ask the priest if he blessed it?

Positive at least for the first few months I was there and before the new pastor realized what they were doing (or not doing!). Considering that the church prior to the new pastor never had holy water anywhere (except the Easter season), I’m pretty sure this was the practice beforehand.

Oh, but we are a desert people, didn’t you know?:rolleyes:
Funny, I never felt like a Bedouin.

I would offer that there are certain egotistical souls who believe that the Church cannot succeed without their personal touches.

I’m trying to chalk this up to Phoenix being a diocese in transition. While I’m annoyed at the removal of holy water, I recognize that our bishop has bigger issues on his to do list…

This is the pastor whose staff refuse to schedule confession as he’s generally too busy

My parish stopped removing Holy Water 2 years ago during Lent. As a 1/2 way compromise (a compromise with what??? :shrug: ) the fonts are 1/2 way filled with rocks. It sort of has an aquarium feel but you do have to watch your fingers or they might get bruised. :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.