MERGED: Immaculate Conception Holy Day in the USA and Obligation

How will it be handled this year as the day falls on a Saturday, and also it is the USA’s patronal feast that falls during Advent? I have no issue going to Mass in the morning or early afternoon then going either for Sunday obligation on Saturday evening or Sunday morning/afternoon.

Ask your priest, he will be scheduling the masses.

Check with your pastor. However, I think that you will find that most parishes will have (possibly) an anticipated Mass on Friday evening and Masses on Saturday morning for the Immaculate Conception. The Saturday evening Mass will likely be the Sunday Mass.

Canon 1246 is the canon in the Code of Canon Law that deals with Holy Days of Obligation. Here are the modifications made by the USCCB with the permission of the Holy See as per that canon:

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/canon-law/complementary-norms/canon-1246.cfm

The decree linked to above says that, when January 1, August 15, or November 1 fall on a Saturday or Monday, the obligation to attend Mass is abrogated. No such exception is listed for December 8 (which always falls during Advent). Therefore, I would assume it will be necessary to attend Mass on both Saturday and Sunday this year.

Thank you for the link : )

I really could never figure out (“why”) the Feast of the Immaculate Conception December 8th was dropped in Canada as a Holy Day of Obligation. Its a beautiful Feast day that inspires Faith.

Some Feast Day like this were pushed to the next Solemnity on Sunday :shrug:

I wish many of the observed Catholic Feast Days in the United States were observed in Canada. :sad_yes:

[quote="MissRose73, post:1, topic:302771"]
How will it be handled this year as the day falls on a Saturday, and also it is the USA's patronal feast that falls during Advent? I have no issue going to Mass in the morning or early afternoon then going either for Sunday obligation on Saturday evening or Sunday morning/afternoon.

[/quote]

For the USA, for Latin Catholics, two celebrations, one for Immaculate Conception and the other for Sunday, are required. Even Friday evening for the Immaculate Conception will work. But, we "are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord's day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body." on two days: Saturday and Sunday. (CIC Can. 1247)

[quote="Chatter163, post:3, topic:302771"]
Check with your pastor. However, I think that you will find that most parishes will have (possibly) an anticipated Mass on Friday evening and Masses on Saturday morning for the Immaculate Conception. The Saturday evening Mass will likely be the Sunday Mass.

[/quote]

Hopefully soon, our bulletin will list what the Mass times are so people can attend for the Holy Day.

[quote="centurionguard, post:6, topic:302771"]

I wish many of the observed Catholic Feast Days in the United States were observed in Canada. :sad_yes:

[/quote]

Part of that has to do with the role of Mary as the Patron Saint of the United State.

Countries often have the Feast Days of their National Patron as Holy Days of Obligation. Examples are St. Patrick's Day in Ireland, and the Feast of SS Cyril and Methodius in a lot of Eastern Europe.

Given that, The Feast of the Immaculate Conception and the Feast of the Nativity of Mary both have a special relationship to St. Anne, the Patron of Canada.

So petition your Bishops to have those as Holy Days of Obligation :thumbsup:

I was overlooking the 2013 calendar, and I saw that December 8 is a Sunday in 2013. Now, since December 8 is the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, is it still celebrated on that Sunday, or does the Second Sunday of Advent trump the solemnity?

The Immaculate Conception is a Holy Day of Obligation. Guess which one will be celebrated.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:10, topic:302771"]
I was overlooking the 2013 calendar, and I saw that December 8 is a Sunday in 2013. Now, since December 8 is the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, is it still celebrated on that Sunday, or does the Second Sunday of Advent trump the solemnity?

[/quote]

The Holy See decided in 1990 that the Second Sunday of Advent is never trumped so next year the Immaculate Conception gets moved to Monday 9th.

[quote="liturgyluver, post:12, topic:302771"]
The Holy See decided in 1990 that the Second Sunday of Advent is never trumped so next year the Immaculate Conception gets moved to Monday 9th.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I looked this up in the Ordo for the Archdiocese of Indianapolis and it's dioceses. The Ordo says that Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception will be moved to Monday and is **not **a holy day of obligation in 2013. Even though it isn't a holy day of obligation, I cannot imagine not going to Mass that day to honor our wonderful Blessed Mother!

I thought this feast is one that is ALWAYS celebrated regardless of the day of week it falls even if it has to be transferred to a different day. It is our patronal feast in the USA also, and I am sure we are among many nations who have the Blessed Mother as a patron.

[quote="MissRose73, post:15, topic:302771"]
I thought this feast is one that is ALWAYS celebrated regardless of the day of week it falls even if it has to be transferred to a different day. It is our patronal feast in the USA also, and I am sure we are among many nations who have the Blessed Mother as a patron.

[/quote]

All feasts are celebrated but there are clear rules around transferance - when this particular feast falls on a Sunday it is moved to the Monday.

[/quote]

Same here. Since it falls on a Saturday this year, it's still a holy day of obligation. I would think that if it's transferred to Monday, then it is celebrated as a holy day of obligation.

[/quote]

It IS always celebrated. But it is only a day of obligatory Mass attendance when it falls on December 8th.

If it has to be transferred to a different date (Monday, December 9th) then there is no obligation to attend Mass. I imagine that is for the benefit of the vast majority of people who don't know about or pay attention to transference of solemnities.

Wow, I had no idea that it would be transferred to Monday. I thought it would basically come before anything else given that it's our patronal feast day. Interesting. So do you think that next year on December 8 the hymns/homily/bulletin, etc. won't really have to do with the Immaculate Conception? Or do you think most parishes will just do it anyway?

This freaks me out a bit, I thought that was always a HDO regardless of what day it is celebrated on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.