MERGED: Lent/ Easter Vigil/When does Lent end?

If you attend the Easter Vigil service is Lent over or do you wait for th morning for Lent to be over?
mlz

Lent ends at sundown on Holy Thursday.

Whether or not you attend the EV, you are free of Lenten penance after it.

ICXC NIKA

When does Lent end?

Lent ends and the Triduum begins with the Mass of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday,

The Triduum runs from the evening of Holy Thursday to the evening of Easter Sunday.

What about Lenten Penances?

Are you asking when you can end your Lenten penances?

I think there are two answers.

One is that these are personal devotions, not something required by the Church. Since they’re personal, you make the rules. You can start or stop them whenever it seems like a good idea to you.

The second answer is that to me – and I emphasize that this isn’t anything official – it makes sense to stop the penance when you start to celebrate Easter. If you go to the Easter Vigil, then the celebration starts there. Or maybe you start celebrating on Easter Sunday morning.

And I suppose there’s actually a third answer. Maybe you started a practice during Lent that you can carry over into your everyday life. If you’ve been doing some extra prayer, for example, maybe you would decide that you want to continue it after Lent is over.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:6, topic:320965"]
Are you asking when you can end your Lenten penances?

I think there are two answers.

One is that these are personal devotions, not something required by the Church. Since they're personal, you make the rules. You can start or stop them whenever it seems like a good idea to you.

The second answer is that to me -- and I emphasize that this isn't anything official -- it makes sense to stop the penance when you start to celebrate Easter. If you go to the Easter Vigil, then the celebration starts there. Or maybe you start celebrating on Easter Sunday morning.

And I suppose there's actually a third answer. Maybe you started a practice during Lent that you can carry over into your everyday life. If you've been doing some extra prayer, for example, maybe you would decide that you want to continue it after Lent is over.

[/quote]

Thank you for the reply. And sorry I left out an "about".

I gave up beverages except water, though I did have a couple 5 hour energies.

So I guess it would be alright to have other beverages when I wake up.

I agree! That’s when you can say “He is risen! He is risen indeed!”

I was always taught (as Tradition) that it ended after Easter Sunday Mass :slight_smile:

Me too…but the proper understanding is that Lent ends at the beginning of teh Holy Thurday Mass of the Lord’s Supper. However, Friday is a day of abstinance and fasting; and Saturday is also a day of quiet and prayer and fasting.

But you are still required to fast and abstain on Good Friday.

True. One might assume lent is over on Holy Thursday, but it simply begins the Triduum. It is not over until the vigil of Easter. We still fast on Holy Saturday, but we may eat meat. After the vigil, you are not required to fast or abstain. Think about it … most vigil masses do not end until almost midnight anyway, and by then, why would you still be fasting? We should be CELEBRATING!!! ALLELUIA!

[quote="Sirach2, post:12, topic:320965"]
True. One might assume lent is over on Holy Thursday, but it simply begins the Triduum. It is not over until the vigil of Easter. We still fast on Holy Saturday, but we may eat meat. After the vigil, you are not required to fast or abstain. Think about it ... most vigil masses do not end until almost midnight anyway, and by then, why would you still be fasting? We should be CELEBRATING!!!! ALLELUIA!

[/quote]

All you say here is correct except Lent is over at the beginning of the HT M or teh LS. The Triduum is a seperate and complete liturgical season from Lent. This is no assumption, it is fact taught by Holy Mother Church.

I think it bears saying that the understanding of the Triduum being a " liturgical season" was not the case until fairly recently. I grew up with the idea that Lent ended at midnight before Easter Sunday.

In general, most people actually engage in a Lenten/Triduum observance. But as has been noted, the individual determines the parameters of a personal observance.

Since Lent now decisively ends at the beginning of the Triduum, one's personal observance for LENT ends at that time. But since Good Friday and Holy Saturday have their own tradition of fasting and since we Catholics try to avoid jump starting our celebrations of Solemnities, it makes sense to maintain a personal observance until Easter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.