Merged: Michael Cumbie Tape Set. /Michael Cumbie Anyone

Hi everyone,

In November Michael Cumbie will be coming to our parish (St Vincent De Paul in Cape Girardeau MO :dancing: ) to do a parish mission. I have not heard a lot about him. What I have read and heard is good. :clapping: I was just wondering if anyone out there has anymore info or experience with the guy. Please let me know. :thumbsup:

I’m pretty sure he is and I’m sure he was a member of the Catholic Resource Center which is where Tim Staples was (now with Catholic Answers) and Scott Hahn (Scripture Matters) is and I believe Jesse Romero is still there too; at least the website says so, but it doesn’t give Michael Cumbie’s name. However, I did find his name listen along with Fr. Mitch Paqwa, Tim Staples, Alex Jones and Scott Hahn for the Midwest Catholic conference, so I’m very sure you are in good hands with him and he is a very orthodox Catholic. He is a convert if I remember from being pentacostal I believe. Anyway, I’m sure someone will know better than I.

A very trusted couple of friends of ours simply adore Michael Cumbie. They say he is very funny and orthodox. I would say you are very fortunate and hope you enjoy your opportunity. :thumbsup:

He was the pastor of the Protestant church down the road from my former parish. Often he would attend our functions… parish missions, etc. He had a commanding presence… so neat, so well polished,and he reminded me of what a monsignor should look like.:thumbsup:

Turns out he was really a sponge soaking up Catholicism. Our pastor, now on leave of absence, was his sponsor of sorts when he came into the Catholic Church.

He struck me as pretty astute, and very sincere.

I don’t think you will be wasting your time or money attending his talks. (but he is no John Corapi :nope: )

I have a few of his cd’s and have seen him on EWTN. I believe he used to be a Pentecostal preacher but can’t remember when he converted. Great southern accent and nice to listen to! He comes across as a heck of a nice guy - and very orthodox. He is definitely in love with the Catholic Church.

He came to our Parish (St. Michaels in Grand Forks, ND) last May. I can tell you he is a wonderful speaker. I loved his point of view. I do suggest that if you know anyone thinking of converting they should really go and listen to him. He is full of energy. :thumbsup:

Monica

[quote=jaz1976]Hi everyone,

In November Michael Cumbie will be coming to our parish (St Vincent De Paul in Cape Girardeau MO :dancing: ) to do a parish mission. I have not heard a lot about him. What I have read and heard is good. :clapping: I was just wondering if anyone out there has anymore info or experience with the guy. Please let me know. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Former validly ordained Charismatic Episcopal Church Priest, so yes he does have the powers and sacramental character of a priest. He was a southern baptist, became a charismatic due to an experience with friends. Very soon after his baptism in the Spirit, he went to a Catholic Church, to pray, he was very moved to the point of tears. Became a Pastor but whenever he was out of town he would go to a Catholic Church to pray, going so far as to rub the toe of a Saint’s statue, he didn’t know what Saint, just they must have been great to have a statue. Was confronted at a confrence that the Protestants should return to Liturgical worship and sacramental theology. The man who confronted him along with him and a few others joined forces to start a new denomination. The charismatic episcopal church. They had orders via the Old Catholic Line (surprisingly, they were quite orthodox in teaching). Later on they had their lines strengthened by the Apostolic Church of Brazil. Michael Cumbie however knew he had to turn Catholic, but had to set aside his ministry as a Priest.

This is weird. I was just typing in my browser: Saint Joseph Communication web site to look for Michael Cumbie’s speaking schedule because I knew that he worked for them and I was craving to go hear him again. He was not listed as a speaker and I “paniced” a little, worried about what may have happened to him. I did a google search and one link brought me to this forum.
I loved to hear Michael speak. He is a more knowledgable Catholic than I am. I have heard him speak on the history of our faith. I have heard him again, somewhere, speaking on the Eucharist.
He is wonderful to hear. He “brings it all home” to me in his messages.
The best thing about this is, it would be a struggle, but I could probably drive to Cape Girrardo (sp?). Will you please type into this forum some more information so I can try to come?
Thank you.

He is very entertaining.

[quote=challenger]He is very entertaining.
[/quote]

I was in the ordained ministry with the CEC (for 9 years, prior to my conversion) and knew Mike well. I wish him nothing but the best.

If you like the Protestant style of preaching, you will like Michael Cumbie. Very sincere, but also very much the showman which I’ve always found a little grating … and especially so when Catholic priests ape that style. I’ve always been more interested in the message than in the messenger.

Dear All:

Sorry about the clutter post, but I have Michael Cumbie’s “A Catholic Primer for Protestants” tape set. In this tape set he is showing overheads and the like and he mentions that they might be made available on the web, etc. for use with the tape sets. Does anyone know if they exist??? I have been unable to find him or a web site for this material…

Mike

My advice would be to contact St. Joseph Communications, www.saintjoe.com as they carry many of the convert apologists’ materials, including Michael Cumbie’s. They may know how to get this material if it is available.

You can also contact Mike at:

www.mikecumbie.org/

You can find his speaking schedule at the following:

www.mikecumbie.org/

[LEFT][sign]Merged Cumbie threads.[/sign][/LEFT]

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.