MERGED: obtaining indulgences/intro into them

I have been a Catholic since 1999 and only now am I getting into indulgences or at least I am paying more attention to them and their benefits. I am open to any and all advice. Be blessed!

Hello “total”
May I recommend a couple of good sources for some monumental indulgences?
First, look up the following?

1. Sacred Heart of Jesus First Fridays/Promises
  2. Fatima Indulgences/Promises
  3. Flame of Glory/Promises
  4. Plenary Indulgences/Graces of the Rosary
  5. Promises of the St. Gertrude Chaplet
    That should keep you busy for a while.
    God be with you in your search…

If you want the full gamut of all indulgences available to you, consider purchasing Manual of Indulgences. Amazon has it for about $14.

Thanks!

Here is a list and some information on indulgences. God Bless You! :slight_smile:

mycatholicsource.com/mcs/cg/indulgences.htm#Indulgence Information

From the last post on indulgences, please note that we may obtain a plenary now during the Fridays of Lent. One of the easiest to obtain.

[LEFT]**Prayer before a Crucifix **
(specified prayer)
Fridays in Lent
devout recitation before a crucifix, after Holy Communion[/LEFT]

As always, please note the “usual conditions” for a plenary indulgence:

be in the state of grace at least at the time the indulgenced work is completed,

—have the interior disposition of complete detachment from sin, even venial sin;

—have sacramentally confessed their sins;

—receive Holy Communion

—pray for the intentions of the Pope.

Hello, Total Catholic, and it’s good to see that you’re paying attention to this all too little known storehouse of spiritual benefit given by Mother Church.

Regarding indulgences, one manner to achieve them which is often overlooked in the pious wearing of scapulars and membership in the confraternities connected to them. Of course the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is the best known, so much so that it has become one of the badges of a pious Catholic (ocarm.org/en/content/ocarm/confraternities). However, there are a number of others: the Black Scapular of the Seven Dolours of Mary (servite.org/About/confraternity.aspx), the Blue Scapular of the Immaculate Conception (marian.org/confraternity/index.php), the Scapular of the Most Precious Blood (te-igitur.blogspot.com/2012/07/archconfraternity-and-scapular-of-most.html), the Black Scapular of the Passion (passionistcharism.wordpress.com/the-black-scapular-of-the-passion/), and the Red Scapular of the Passion (catholicgentleman.net/2013/09/11/spiritual-weapons-the-red-scapular/), to name just a few.

God bless.

I omitted these conditions because the previous post from which I had pointed out the Prayer before a Crucifix for Fridays in Lent, had already listed the requirements you mentioned. Most folks who are familiar with indulgences already know about them. :slight_smile:

Originally Posted by Sirach2 forums.catholic.com/images/buttons_khaki/viewpost.gif
From the last post on indulgences, please note that we may obtain a plenary now during the Fridays of Lent. One of the easiest to obtain.

En ego, O bone et dulcissime Iesu

Behold, O kind an most sweet Jesus, I cast myself upon my knees in thy sight, and with the most fervent desire of my soul, I pray and beseech thee that thou wouldst impress upon my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope, and charity, with true contrition for my sins and a firm purpose of amendment; while with deep affection and grief of soul I ponder within myself and mentally contemplate thy five wounds, having before my eyes the words which David the prophet put on thy lips concerning thee: “My hands and My feet they have pierced, they have numbered all my bones.”
p. 51-52, Manual of Indulgences: Norms and Grants, USCCB, 2006

Thank you. I was not thinking, and should have posted the prayer, as well.

I saw a thread here about indulgences. I tried to do research on what they are and I got so confused that I thought my head was spinning. Its like everyone was speaking a different language. So I was wondering, can anyone simply explain this to a guy who’s new to serious faith? :confused:

I saw the thread, too, and one of the links was very informative. I bookmarked it, and I suggest you do the same for future reference.

This introduction in the link will be most helpful to you, as it explains what they are and why we need them. If you still have questions, please let us know.

That’s actually what I was reading and what was getting confused about. :confused:

I get that it remits temporal punishment. Everything after that is confusing. How you get one, the requirements, etc.

Ok, here’s layman’s language, as simple as I can word it. You can gain a “partial” indulgence while you are in the state of grace, whenever you devoutly recite certain ejaculations, vocal prayers, litanies, and the like. Ejaculations are short, loving prayers, such as “Lord, Have mercy on me, a sinner.” Vocal prayers do not mean praying out loud, but they are generally prayers composed by others that we may find in a prayer book, like Anima Christi.

To gain a “plenary” indulgence, which remits all temporal punishment for sin since your baptism (translate - time in purgatory), we have to fulfill a few conditions. Whereas, partial indulgences only remit partial punishments and may be obtained any time.

Plenary conditions:

Confession, within 20 days prior to the indulgenced act or 20 days after, giving almost 40 days to perform the act.
Holy communion, preferably on the day you perform the indulgenced act.
Prayers for the intention of the Holy Father, usually an Our Father, Hail Mary and Gory be, the same day you perform the act…
You need to have the intention of gaining the indulgence. (Why else would you do the act :rolleyes:)
One must have no attachment to sin. If you are certain of purity of heart at the time you perform the indulgenced act, it is sufficient, even if you fall into venial or mortal sin some time later on.

Each time I go to confession, I immediately do certain of these acts to be free of all temporal punishment. It is as simple as praying a rosary in church, visiting the Blessed Sacrament for a half hour, or reading scripture at home for a half hour.

Is this understandable?

I think so. So, can I receive indulgences for sins I confessed in the past?

I believe indulgences are all about remitting the debt of temporal punishment due for sins already committed, confessed and absolved.

Which is a longish way of saying Yes, with the clarification that the indulgence isn’t for your sins but rather for the penalty due to your sins.

So in order to receive indulgences, I can’t be in mortal sin? Or any sin?

We do not merit while in the state of mortal sin, so this is probably why the Church requires confession as a condition for obtaining a plenary indulgence. Venial sins do not inhibit our obtaining *partial *indulgences, but we should strive not to offend Our Lord with deliberate venial sins. Of course, imperfections will always be a part of our humanness as long as we live.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.