MERGED: Questions relating to Catholic view on Euthanasia

I am currently investigating the views of the Catholic Church on the topic of Euthanasia. Please could someone answer a couple of questions below - this would be greatly appreciated. I don’t mind if you only answer one, two or all of them.

1. What is your personal view of Euthanasia?
  2. Does your view differ between voluntary (consent) and involuntary (without consent) Euthanasia?
  3. Does the teachings of the Catholic Church influence your view?
  4. What particular moral teachings and values have Catholicism taught you within the topic of Euthanasia?
  5. Have these teachings taken into account the common good of all people?
  6. Do you believe the Catholic Church addresses the issue of Euthanasia enough?
  7. Do you believe that Catholicism has influenced Australia’s view of Euthanasia?
  8. Are there places people can go to receive help if they are considering the Euthanasia?
  9. If someone you knew was thinking of partaking in Euthanasia (legally or illegally), what would you say to them?

Thankyou very much!!! :slight_smile:

**1. What is your personal view of Euthanasia? **

False compassion and crocodile tears. If a teenage boy was suffering from heartbreak no one would euthanize him, but if a disabled person had a heartbreak they speak of “quality of life”. Is that saying that suffering makes a life less valuable? These same people go out preaching egalitarianism.

**2. Does your view differ between voluntary (consent) and involuntary (without consent) Euthanasia? **

Voluntary is when the treatment of society creates a victim and solves the problem by killing him. Do you think someone wants to die if society can create a good living standard for the marginalized? As an example, no girl has loved me as my disabilities got worse. Also I can’t go anywhere because of lack of accessibility. I am almost a hermit. Euthanasia is choosing to kill a person rather than addresses the root causes of why he is suicidal.

Involuntary is fascism, plain and simple.

3. Does the teachings of the Catholic Church influence your view?

Yes.

**4. What particular moral teachings and values have Catholicism taught you within the topic of Euthanasia? **

Actions speak louder than words. You can’t claim to love someone and kill them in the same way you can’t claim to be open to God’s will and use contraception.

5. Have these teachings taken into account the common good of all people?

Yes.

6. Do you believe the Catholic Church addresses the issue of Euthanasia enough?

Not nearly enough. Mostly deals with abortion, but not enough with other victims of the culture of death.

**7. Do you believe that Catholicism has influenced Australia’s view of Euthanasia? **

I don’t know. Don’t think so because I read that Australia blocks disabled immigration. Sounds more utilitarian than Catholic.

8. Are there places people can go to receive help if they are considering the Euthanasia?

Don’t know. But increasingly countries are “helping” people die.

**9. If someone you knew was thinking of partaking in Euthanasia (legally or illegally), what would you say to them? **

There can be no ressurection without the passion. Glory requires suffering. Christ taught us how we must have patience amidst great suffering. Every suffering we can offer to Christ to our profit.

What opinion does Catholicism have on Euthanasia?

Would you agree with the Catholic perspective?

Why/ why not?

Do you believe Euthanasia is acceptable for someone in palliative care to prevent suffering?

Why/ why not?

Would you reject a person’s request to die if they were in palliative care and suffering critical pain?

What are the grey areas with the act of Euthanasia?
How has the view on Euthanasia changed over history within the Catholic Church?

Here is a similar thread to keep track of: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=780002

Thanks for that I was just looking for answers of these questions, its a Uni task that I need to complete

Thank you kindly for helping to answer these difficult questions. Your answers are very much appreciated

My answers are in blue. :slight_smile:

Hi, your questions have already been answered in detail so I won’t get into that. Almost 11 years ago I was involved in a fatal car accident. Long story short after a hospital mistake they wanted to euthanize me. So this issue touches home with me, I see how society is becoming and it makes me sick. I actually speak on the pro-life cause. I was 18 when this happened, which is a good thing because I healed faster and I didn’t have a chance to make a living will. Before the accident I was completely different, and I’m sure I would of said I “wouldn’t want to live like that”. People have no way of predetermining how they will feel when such an incident occurs. So like abortion euthanasia is murder, and we are putting a lot on the doctors souls that are the ones committing these murders. The church is right on every moral issue, but that said I wasn’t really that catholic before this happened. I was more of a cradle catholic, but after this happened several miracles happened that were unexplainable. I won’t get into them because it would take up a lot of room. To anyone considering euthanasia I would say what’s stopping you from shooting yourself in head right now? It would be a lot more humane than being starved to death. I’m not sure if you wanted a first hand account like mine, so I apologize if you didn’t. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.