MERGED: Receiving the sacrament of confirmation/marriage unworthily

The sacrament of confirmation can only be given once. It leaves an indelible mark on the recipient's soul. But if you receive the sacrament of confirmation in a state of mortal sin or you are one of the young kids who rejects the Church but does it just because your parents "make" you, what happens? Specifically,

1. Does the indelible mark still exist on the soul, ready to bear fruit when the recipient enters a state of grace?

yes, your confirmation is valid.

You receive the graces receive if/when you go to confession and are in a state of grace.

Is the Sacrament still valid? I'm not getting married, I'm just curious. Thanks and God bless you! :)

Yes, like any other sacrament received in a state of mortal sin, it would still be valid.

[quote="bben15, post:4, topic:336148"]
Yes, like any other sacrament received in a state of mortal sin, it would still be valid.

[/quote]

Thanks! I've been wondering the answer to this question for a long time! God bless you! :)

[quote="polishprincess, post:5, topic:336148"]
Thanks! I've been wondering the answer to this question for a long time! God bless you! :)

[/quote]

God bless you too. :)

Just to add on, I read somewhere it is a good idea to go to confession sometime before your wedding day.

Sacraments are sacraments, their effectiveness doesn’t depend on the state of grace of either the layperson receiving or the priest administering them.

Considering the Sacrament of the Eucharist is going to be involved, that’s a good idea. Frequent Confession is always a good thing, and one that is sadly neglected.

FYI, there is another recent thread on receiving sacraments in a state of mortal sin
Catholic Answers Forums - Receiving the Sacrament of Marriage in a State of Mortal Sin?

[quote="LittleFlower378, post:7, topic:336148"]
Just to add on, I read somewhere it is a good idea to go to confession sometime before your wedding day.

[/quote]

Yeah, I read it's a good idea to go to confession before any Sacrament.

God bless you! :D

[quote="bben15, post:6, topic:336148"]
God bless you too. :)

[/quote]

:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.