MERGED: the feast of the immaculate conception on Sunday/Dec. 9 Holy Day?

I know that means here in the U.S. that the Solemnity is moved to Monday. I read somewhere that when the feast is transferred to Monday rather than naturally occurring on Monday that the obligation to attend Mass is relieved. Is this accurate?

The Sundays of Advent "outrank" other solemnities, therefore the 2nd Sunday of Advent is celebrated in the US. The US bishops transferred the feast of the IC to Monday, Dec 9, and the feast of Juan Diego will not be celebrated this year.

The US bishops did not transfer the obligation, therefore you do not have a mass obligation tomorrow. The obligation is not "relieved" by virtue of the transfer to Monday, but rather by the Bishop's Conference deciding not to transfer the obligation. Could be different in some future year.

Fair enough. Thanks!

I know that December 8th is supposed to be the Holy Day of Obligation for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. However, I read that the day has been 'moved' to tomorrow. So is tomorrow a Holy Day of Obligation. :shrug:

I am quite sure that in the TX dioceses is not a day of obligation.

No. The obligation to attend mass is dispensed here in the US. In other countries, they may not have moved the feast to Monday, the 9th, but celebrate it today. It depends on where you live and what the bishops have determined for the faithful. :)
How nice it would be, though, if you have the opportunity to honor Mary at mass tomorrow, provided you do not have to work or have other obligations.

Did you get a bulletin when you attended mass today? You should have seen a notation therein that the feast is not obligatory.

Monday is another opportunity to receive Christ. Its a
Blessing, not an obligation!:)

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:347523"]
The Sundays of Advent "outrank" other solemnities, therefore the 2nd Sunday of Advent is celebrated in the US. The US bishops transferred the feast of the IC to Monday, Dec 9, and the feast of Juan Diego will not be celebrated this year.

The US bishops did not transfer the obligation, therefore you do not have a mass obligation tomorrow. The obligation is not "relieved" by virtue of the transfer to Monday, but rather by the Bishop's Conference deciding not to transfer the obligation. Could be different in some future year.

[/quote]

The boldfaced sentences are not accurate, for reasons explained below.

The U.S. bishops did not transfer the solemnity of the Immaculate Conception to Monday. That is where the universal kalendar automatically transfers it, according to the decree Mysterii Paschalis, of Pope Paul VI, who reformed the Roman calendar in 1969. In this case, the Immaculate Conception is transferred because it falls on a Sunday of Advent. No action was needed by the U.S. bishops to move it. It is observed on Monday in most countries of the world, except where their bishops' conferences have decreed otherwise, and received approval from the Holy See.

The obligation to attend does not automatically transfer. For that to happen, the U.S. bishops would need to take a specific action to transfer the obligation, and receive confirmation by the Holy See. That has not happened. Again, no action was taken in this regard.

The decision by the U.S. bishops' conference in 1991 to abrogate the obligation to attend Mass when certain holy days fall on a Monday or Saturday, was confirmed by the Holy See in 1992. This involves only the Solemnity of Mary, Holy Mother of God on 1 January; the Assumption of the BVM of 15 August, and All Saints on 1 November. It does not involve the Immaculate Conception. At the time, that holy day was not included because it is the national patroness. So again, there was no specific action taken by the U.S. bishops.

No! The celebration has been moved to tomorrow but it is NOT a holyday of obligation.

This was in our church bulletin and an announcement made at the end of Mass today. Any priest or parish staff did not communicate this to the faithful, were derelict in their pastoral duty and the cause of needless worry among the faithful.

Depends where you are. It's my understanding it's not a Holy Day of Obligation in Mexico.

The Immaculate Conception is the Patron Saint of the United States.

Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, celebrated on Monday December 9th, is not a holy day of obligation. This year, the Solemnity falls on a Sunday. But because Sunday is a higher rank, the liturgical observance of the Immaculate Conception is transferred to the next day. However, the obligation to attend Mass never transfers when the liturgical observance is transferred. Part of the confusion is caused by the fact that the immaculate Conception is the patroness of the U.S. Therefore, her Solemnity is still observed even when it falls on a Monday or Saturday. This is not the case this year, as December 8th is a Sunday and the obligation is concurrent with the Saturday obligation.

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
When December 8 falls on a Sunday of Advent, this solemnity is transferred to the following day.
SOLEMNITY

[quote="Hieronymi, post:12, topic:347523"]

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
When December 8 falls on a Sunday of Advent, this solemnity is transferred to the following day.
SOLEMNITY

[/quote]

Pax Christi!

The Solemnity has been moved, but NOT the obligation. In the USA, you don't have to attend Mass. It's optional, just like changing your avatar.

God bless.

Because the solemnity falls on a Sunday, the day is celebrated on Dec 9, so therefore the obligation to attend Mass is lifted.

[quote="Hieronymi, post:12, topic:347523"]

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
SOLEMNITY

[/quote]

Pax Christi!

The Solemnity has been moved, but NOT the obligation. In the USA, you don't have to attend Mass. It's optional, just like changing your avatar.

God bless.

In the United States, whenever the Immaculate Conception Solemnity falls on a Monday or a Saturday, the obligation is dispensed.

Even if it was an obligation, I probably wouldn't attend because of the icy roads around here. Just a trip to the church down the road becomes a journey. :D

[quote="bben15, post:16, topic:347523"]
In the United States, whenever the Immaculate Conception Solemnity falls on a Monday or a Saturday, the obligation is dispensed.

[/quote]

NO! IT IS NOT! Read my post #8 above. It includes the link to the U.S. bishops' documents which lists the holy days are covered by the Mon/Sat rule. Immaculate Conception is NOT ONE OF THEM!

Am I incorrect in believing that this apologist answer:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=842932

and this link the apologist links to:
canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/two-mass-obligations-means-two-masses-but/

are telling us that we are required to do two masses in order to fulfill the obligations (one for Sunday, one for Immaculate Conception)?

It seems to be so. Monday is not obligatory but yesterday was, twice.

I only went once yesterday, not at all Saturday night, and once this morning (but I don't think this morning counts... so clearly I missed it, on accident).

Feast of Immaculate Conception moved to Monday but no sure if Mass attendance required. Thx

no.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.