Meryl Streep called out Donald Trump at the Golden Globes. Read her speech here.

washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/01/08/meryl-streep-called-out-donald-trump-at-the-golden-globes-read-her-speech-here/?utm_term=.95ad6a4db74e

This may be the part of Streep’s speech that most resonated with me:

“It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter. Someone he outranked in privilege, power and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart when I saw it. I still can’t get it out of my head because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life.”

I have a disability and I voted for Trump.

As was your right. I’d never have in a million years. I wanted to be able to respect the next GOP President after the disrespect Obama received. But by that point I’d lost all respect for the man who became the GOP nominee.

I never held any respect for the man since his first divorce. (It wasn’t his divorce per se but how he reported his assets.)

I do hold respect for the office of President, though.

I did listen to her speech and expect a tweet any minute.

On the point of the thread, these kinds of lectures from West Hollywood are precisely a huge reason why the Democrats lost. If they are going to let Hollywood, K-Street, Silicon Valley, Academics, Wall Street and Broadway do their talking, all they will do is win Seattle, Portland, CA, MA, NYC and still the smattering of shrinking urban areas and college towns if the students would even show up to vote.

I understand that she probably meant well, but I think also it’s fair to expect people to move WAY beyond the point most of us aren’t trying to be mean most of the time. We as a nation can no longer afford to sit around and just congratulate each other for good intentions. Maybe the award-winning actors and actresses can, but not the average person or taxpayer.

This sort of thing really ticks people in the heartland off because these GG speeches are the straw that breaks the camels back. These folks have been mocked (and I do mean mocked, not friendly-satired) and called stupid by elites for decades and what we saw in this election was they were fed up.

Trump hasn’t exactly made it easy for some folks to respect him. For me though it’s always about principle, not what someone says or an imitation they make. What about Wendy Davis’s campaign who made fun of Greg Abbot who is in a wheelchair? Does that also make liberals reflect, or is yet another left-wing double standard where the GOP has to be perfect but liberals can knock over all the chess pieces and still get first place?

Like him or dislike him, Trump has forged a connection with ordinary people that the Democrats right now have lost and as long as they cater to elites, they will not do themselves any favors and basically only win if the GOP screws up.

My hope is that we can get beyond this nonsense, but when a speech like this comes down the line, people, even ones who didn’t vote for Trump, don’t see a woman trying to defend the disabled. They see another sanctimonious, virtue-signaling lecture from an elite or an elite-wannabe while they are struggling to put their kids through school or even food on the table.

Her speech was so powerful, real, and heartfelt–I was in tears in seconds.
Man, she’s good.

Her entire speech should be watched to get the full effect. I’ll post it if I find it.

I wonder if HE is holding back on a tweet, knowing how beloved she is. Either that, or someone must have grabbed the i-Phone from him. He tweeted something just before her speech, so he was still up when she gave it most likely. The man barely sleeps.

=DaddyGirl;14391095]
Man, she’s good.

I disagree. If she were “good” she’d be asking herself why her side lost the election. Or I guess they could just say “3 million more” or “Russia”. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

ANNDD…it looks like Trump has the left on edge waiting for his next tweet. :smiley:

The man barely sleeps.

As long as he’s not sleep-deprived, I like a president who is ready for a 3 AM phone call. :thumbsup:

Donald Trump is an immature egotist and I believe he will disappoint many. That said, I feel Meryl Streep and many of the Hollywood elites still fail to understand the anger in America and elsewhere in the West.

An actor’s only job is to enter the lives of people who are different from us and let you feel what that feels like.

I do wonder if she and the rest of them really do understand people who don’t live in their Hollywood bubble. They still come off as a pretentious bunch who look down on anyone who hold onto Christian teachings beyond helping the poor and vulnerable. By the way, they’ve succeeded in making quite a number lose their grip.

Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence incites violence. And when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose. Okay. Go on with that thing.

Donald Trump isn’t the only one.

I only ask the famously well-heeled Hollywood foreign press and all of us in our community to join me in supporting the Committee to Protect Journalists, because we’re going to need them going forward, and they’ll need us to safeguard the truth.

Many of them have abandoned that role leading to the crisis we call fake news and I doubt many will even attempt going back to doing their jobs.

Once when I was standing around on the set one day whining about something, we were going to work through supper, or the long hours or whatever, Tommy Lee Jones said to me, “Isn’t it such a privilege, Meryl, just to be an actor?” Yeah, it is. And we have to remind each other of the privilege and the responsibility of the act of empathy. We should all be very proud of the work Hollywood honors here tonight. As my friend the dear departed Princess Leia said to me once, “Take your broken heart, make it into art.”

They haven’t shown much empathy towards those who feel ridiculed for holding onto Christian teachings for the past few decades and especially the last decade. Then again, why would they? Some of them are those who are doing the ridiculing.

West Hollywood?
They’re not in West Hollywood.

She didn’t give a lecture. And if a party is going to lose “precisely” because they speak truth from the heart, then there’s no hope for this country.

Maybe that’s what you see. If so, that’s unfortunate.

And…a lot of people who are struggling to put food on the table who are *not *Meryl Streep also care that the president of their country is a decent human being.

She didn’t give a lecture. And if a party is going to lose “precisely” because they speak truth from the heart, then there’s no hope for this country.

I disagree. There is hope for the country because Donald J. Trump won the election and he’ll do WAY more than any speech from Hollywood (east or west) for disabled people and ALL Americans (even those who didn’t vote him).

I think twitter aside, Meryl Streep and the entire GG entourage could learn a lot from President elect Trump. :yup:

Maybe that’s what you see. If so, that’s unfortunate.

It’s what millions upon millions of Americans see and one of the many reasons they voted why they did.

And…a lot of people who are struggling to put food on the table who are *not *Meryl Streep also care that the president of their country is a decent human being.

Maybe that’s one reason why I voted for Cruz in the primary. But in the end it’s about principle,and the fact is the Democrats have been catering to the elites for too long and the GOP and Trump now are the faces of working class America.

Sorry…are you saying that if Meryl Streep was a better communicator, the Democrats would have won the election?

Who?

Sorry to disappoint, but he sleeps from about 1:30am-5:30am–he told me this once. So he’s not routinely up at 3am, as you’d like a president to be.

The NYTimes got him on the phone:

Trump Not Surprised by Meryl Streep’s Golden Globes Speech

President-elect Donald J. Trump dismissed Meryl Streep as “a Hillary lover” early Monday morning after the actress, in a speech at the Golden Globes award ceremony, denounced him as a bully who disrespected and humiliated others.

Mr. Trump, in a brief telephone interview, said he had not seen Ms. Streep’s remarks or other parts of the Globes ceremony, which were broadcast on NBC, but added that he was “not surprised” that he had come under attack from “liberal movie people.”…

nytimes.com/2017/01/09/movies/trump-meryl-streep-golden-globes-speech.html

There’s a difference between calling at 3am and being called at 3am. I know this all too well.

I do not vote in US. nor care if it is Merryl Streep or my grandmother who says it.
And,whether it is Trump,Hillary,my aunt,your neighbour,or somebody’s cousin,I do not care either,but this visual of a person imitating somebody else’ s disability has no place in private or in public… Something to learn not to do . And we have overcome this kind of ridicule long ago. Out of place and should not happen.In his case,not again.
You do not deserve to go through this. You nor anybody.
And it is independent from politics for me.

Let’s hope so. I would like Trump’s presidency to be so successful and revolutionary that it will force vested interests and elites from their regressive influence in politics - Hollywood included.

I didn’t see it. I didn’t realize the Golden globes were on.

But, I’m not seeing the evolution of the idea of voting for Trump as the lesser of two evils, to the idea that he was the absolute best candidate ever. Lack of support for Trump doesn’t make one a Hillary lover. Trump might have won because he was considered the lesser of two evils.

His tweets keep giving me a surreal feeling. Like his bashing of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s performance on The Apprentice. Why do ratings for a TV show matter to him now? Arnold’s response was very good though.

If Ms. Streep had spoken truth from the heart in private to President-elect Trump, then she might have persuaded him to – eventually – make a public apology. Public criticism as a performance with an enormous audience isn’t a good strategy if the goal is to get an apology. After all, it doesn’t make any sense for President-elect Trump to give people an incentive to publicly criticize him. Furthermore, there is no policy issue here. The criticism is directed against Donald Trump as a person, not against his policies.

Should this issue be a high priority for the President of the USA, who has no more time than any other individual? We would have a situation like the joke that President Obama told in 2015 at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner:

“Just recently, in an episode of Celebrity Apprentice, at the steakhouse, the men’s cooking team did not impress the judges from Omaha Steaks. And there was a lot of blame to go around, but you, Mr. Trump, recognized that the real problem was a lack of leadership, and so ultimately you didn’t blame Lil Jon or Meat Loaf, you fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well handled, sir. Well handled.”

I can’t say for definite that Trump wasn’t making fun of that disabled reporter, but he denies it, and as the following article says that reports on another article by a website called Catholics 4 Trump, there is evidence going back to 2005 where Trump has impersonated various people without disabilities using the same or similar type of mannerisms and style that he used when people claim he impersonated and mocked that disabled reporter at the rally: foxnews.com/politics/2016/09/14/did-trump-really-mock-reporters-disability-videos-could-back-him-up.html

So this act that Trump put on at that rally where people claim he was making fun of the disability of the reporter, may not in fact be accurate, but just his style when impersonating somebody and the fact that there is video going back to 2005 showing this similar style of impersonation of people that don’t have disabilities, surely puts doubt on the claim that he mocked the disability of the reporter?

Thanks Abyssinia. I think the politically correct religion needs always to think the worst of opponents so it can be outraged. Such an attitude is so polarising, stupid and divisive.

I hardly know anything about Donald Trump, but his rejection of political correctness is why i was cheering with so many others in my part of the world when that blue wall broke ranks and sided with ‘the Donald’.

Not mocking the disabled is common decency, not political correctness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.