Meryl Streep rebukes Walt Disney: Anti-Semitic and 'a gender bigot'

latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-meryl-streep-disney-sexist-anti-semitic-20140108,0,7038803.story#ixzz2pvIM56iQ

Walt Disney produced classic films, but the man had some unpleasant personal characteristics. I was aware of his attitudes towards women, but not heard that he was anti-Semitic.

Still, what Meryl Streep said probably wouldn’t surprise anyone at the National Board of Review dinner. I think Disney’s personal failings are known to people who work in the industry

do the words calumny ,slander or detraction ring a bell ? :shrug:

It has also been alledged in at least one book that he was a homosexual pedophile.

blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2010/08/new_book_alleges_walt_disney_w.php

This.

One has to tell the truth, ]

Hitler loved the Jewish nation, that is why he killed over 6 million.

The Klu Klux Klan - loved Catholics and colored people .

Do you think the above is true, of course not, Its not anti-Semitic remarks, or calumny

Nothing emboldens the wicked so greatly as the lack of courage on the part of the good.

It is probably not true that he was antisemetic any more than anyone else in those days. See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney#Accusations_of_antisemitism_and_racism

newadvent.org/cathen/04757a.htm

Detraction

(From Latin detrahere, to take away).

Detraction is the unjust damaging of another’s good name by the revelation of some fault or crime of which that other is really guilty or at any rate is seriously believed to be guilty by the defamer.

Calumny

(Latin calvor, to use artifice, to deceive)

Etymologically any form of ruse or fraud employed to deceive another, particularly in judicial proceedings. In its more commonly accepted signification it means the unjust damaging of the good name of another by imputing to him a crime or fault of which he is not guilty. The sin thus committed is in a general sense mortal, just as is detraction.

Slander

Slander is the attributing to another of a fault of which one knows him to be innocent

The man’s been dead for almost 50 years and can’t defend himself. What was the reason for this outburst now? I have also read that the anti-Semitic charge was unjustified. My respect for Streep has really gone down. On the other hand, it was true that Walt didn’t like cats.

Apparently getting paid by the wicked is perfectly ok. From the article- “Presumably, Streep’s grudge against Disney isn’t insurmountable, as she is set to appear in the upcoming Disney film “Into the Woods,” based on the Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine musical.” I don’t know about you, but if I called someone a “gender bigot” and anti-Semitic I wouldn’t work for them or their company.

Streep was speaking at an event which honored Emma Thompson for her role in a new film. The film concerns the difficult personal relationship between Walt Disney and P.L. Travers, the author of “Mary Poppins.” Disney wanted very much to acquire film rights to the book, and then turn it into a movie. Travers, on the other hand, was reluctant, deeply suspicious, and “prickly.”

The new film, Saving Mr, Banks, presents Disney in a rosy hue. Streep apparently wanted to correct that image.

Would you work for Ford Motor Company, knowing that Henry Ford had been openly anti-Semitic?

Not if I felt strong enough about it to make a public announcement about how horrible Mr. Ford was.

Antisemitism is alive and well in the world today, with yet another organization calling for the boycott of Israeli universities.
I only hope that Meryl Streep will continue to be as outspoken addressing the bigotry of the living, as she is about addressing the bigotry of the dead.

Just because somebody doesn’t want to support Israel does not mean they are a bigot. Maybe they just don’t like aggressive states.

Grandstanding. That’s all it was. The man has been dead for nearly 50 years. I hope she feels better now that she got it off her chest :rolleyes:

I guess we can add hypocrite to the grandstanding charge I made.

Which she is unqualified to do. She doesn’t know the man and appears to view him only through the prism of 21st century race/gender perceptions

Maybe.
Probably not though.
:slight_smile:

People are only fooling themselves with that mantra.

It is not a bad thing that Walt Disney could admire the quality of a fascist’s work in the 1930’s without himself being a fascist.
Jewish Dennis Prager loves the music of Wagner.
Conservatives such as myself as well separate the quality of the work of leftist actors in Hollywood from their views.

Dennis Rodman was a remarkable basketball player and a big part of the Bull’s championships. Even then though he was showing the same signs of being warped.

We can make these kind of separations though between appreciating genius and otherwise rejecting some atrocious behaviors in the celebrities personal life. Life would be rather stale if we could only support those who share a perspective exactly like our own.
It is a rather fascist trend in our society that even those of a very different time are being dug up and put on trial according to our own politically correct standards. That tells us more about who Meryl is than about who Walt was.

Racial stereotyping and gender typing were the norm in the industry during Disney’s time, especially the earlier years. He didn’t hire people based on race or gender, though, although women didn’t get top positions–probably due to his feelings that the man should be the bread winner–an idea what was prominent into the 60’s.

He was a man of his time, no better than many others but better than some others in the business. It’s not fair to paint people from another time context with modernists terms like gender biased or race hating when they had no such idea of themselves or the general culture.

Disney did change his ideas as time went by, and really had no strong politic opinions right or left. He was too busy making classic films and building his parks to be bothered with wondering if society of his day was right or wrong about such things. People weren’t on tender hooks back then, worried about what the PC police would say about them long after they were dead. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.