Messianic Judiasm--???

This religion intrigues me for some reason, not from a standpoint of converting, but just find interesting parallels to christianity. Can someone share with me what exactly is this faith, and the basic differences and similarities to christianty? Thanks in advance!

God bless,
WG :slight_smile:

[quote=whatevergirl]This religion intrigues me for some reason, not from a standpoint of converting, but just find interesting parallels to christianity. Can someone share with me what exactly is this faith, and the basic differences and similarities to christianty? Thanks in advance!

God bless,
[/quote]

Messianic Judaism is a sect of Judaism that holds fast to Jewish customs and law though at the same time holds that Christ is Lord.

Imagine Protestant Christianity and Reformed Judaism rolled into one.

:wink:

[quote=whatevergirl]This religion intrigues me for some reason, not from a standpoint of converting, but just find interesting parallels to christianity. Can someone share with me what exactly is this faith, and the basic differences and similarities to christianty? Thanks in advance!

God bless,
[/quote]

WG, there was an earlier discussion of this here:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=86557&highlight=Messianic+jews

i have an offtopic comment to make… no offense intended but… a lot of times i see when people commenting or are curious about another religion or denomination they have to point out they are not thinking about converting but just curious or soemone else tells them to stick to their own religion and not convert…are you afraid of people converting out of catholicism or something? i have seen this many times…
thats all and carry on

Muslim,

I see the same thing. It baffles me. And if I say something to defend another religion from attacks, I’m accused of not being Catholic, of wanting to convert, etc etc.

Seems there is a good amount of insecurity in the air.

[quote=pro_universal]Muslim,

I see the same thing. It baffles me. And if I say something to defend another religion from attacks, I’m accused of not being Catholic, of wanting to convert, etc etc.

Seems there is a good amount of insecurity in the air.
[/quote]

Are you aware that half of all Catholics don’t believe in the Eucharist? :confused:

You needn’t be so literal–my gosh! I was simply saying that I’m intrigued by the religion. I’m most certainly not insecure in my faith, and feel great peace being a devout Catholic. I thought this board was designed to learn from one another. :confused:

I’m always baffled by the need for people on message boards to insult (and then say they are not meaning to offend…let’s slip that disclaimer in) someone for no reason. :frowning:

ps: my statement regarding conversion was simply a statement-there’s no underlying meaning behind it. LOL

[quote=FCEGM]WG, there was an earlier discussion of this here:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=86557&highlight=Messianic+jews
[/quote]

Thank you for the link–I’ll check it out!

Hi all!

I’ll simply add that “Messianic Judaism”, “Jews for Jesus”, etc. (there are lots of groups/sects and no two are alike) are not practicing Judaism but a form of Christianity.

A Jew who “accepts Christ” has crossed the boundaries into heresy/apostasy. Belief in, or acceptance of, Jesus as the Messiah/Son of God/person in a triune God/Incarnation of God/ is completely, totally & utterly incompatible with the beliefs of traditional, normative Judaism, and always has been. This circle can never be squared; “Jews for Jesus” and the various “Messianic Jewish” groups, et. al. will always be unnatural jerry-rigged hybrids. One can believe in Judaism or Christianity but not both at the same time, it’s one or the other. I certainly believe in honest & friendly (always!) dialogue between Jews and Christians, I also believe that such dialogue must be based on a recognition that ours are two separate faiths.

A Jew is anyone whose birthmother was a Jew or who underwent an orthodox conversion. Thus, while many/most/some(?) so-called “Messianic Jews” may certainly be Jews, what they believe and practice is certainly not Judaism.

Be well!

ssv http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/ani/wave.gif

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.