Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament?

I have been doing some research on the OT prophecies that Jesus supposedly fulfilled, and came across websites such as this and this.

The thing is, I don’t see some of the supposed prophecies. Such as Gen 3:15, relating to a virgin birth. How does: "I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” prophecy of a virgin birth?

I have also read that one of the reasons Jews do not accept Jesus due to the fact many of the prophecies people spout Jesus fulfilling were not actually Messianic prophecies.

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could help me here. Thanks. :slight_smile:

It applies to being born **“of a woman”. **
If you read this link…it clearly gives the exact description for the prophesy.
christianity.about.com/od/biblefactsandlists/a/Prophecies-Jesus.htm

In Genesis 3:15 the seed of the a woman means he will be born of a virgin. A woman cannot get pregnant without a man’s seed.

Ordinarily no, but in Mary’s case she was “Conceived of the Holy Spirit.” NO man involved!! God Bless, Memaw

Does Genesis imply virgin? I wasn’t aware of that. I thought the virgin part came from Isaiah. Anyway, a similar question was asked recently about messianic prophecies in general. A huge list of messianic prophecies fulfilled by Jesus was provided, though I don’t think there was in depth discussion of them. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

It’s my understanding that Jews thought the messianic age would be ushered in in full at once with the messiah’s coming, but that’s not what Jesus taught or promised and it’s not what happened.

Edit: Here are those references.forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=974511&highlight=Messiah

"And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

There is more to Genesis 3:15 than a prophecy of the virgin birth.
In this verse, God is speaking to the serpent telling him that Mary’s seed will crush the serpent’s head, but that the serpent will only strike at Mary’s offspring’s heel.

This is a prophecy speaking of Jesus’ total destruction of Satan and all his works–Jesus will crush Satan’s head.
Wheres God tells the serpent that he will only strike at Jesus’ heel: in other words, Satan will think he has won when Jesus dies, but it will really amount to nothing, just "a striking at Jesus’ heel’ because Jesus will gain the ultimate victory over death when he is resurrected.

This is considered the first Messianic prophecy in the whole Bible.

A truly in-depth discussion and debate of all the proof-texts of Messianic prophecy in the form of Jesus would probably take us until either the First Coming or the Second Coming. The subject has been debated, however, among Christian and Jewish scholars…interminably. On YouTube, you have the debates of Dr. Michael Brown and Rabbi Tovia Singer, for example, which are interesting to hear.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.