Met 2 Mormon girls tonight

Hey, wow, I met two really sweet and cute Mormon missionary girls tonight at WalMart parking lot!!

But I was busy and couldn’t talk, and won’t be able to for at least anohter week or so

So…I think I’m in the right forum for this

**What would be a good thing to have as a focal point for my part of the discussion? ** You know, 1 or 2 key points that I could present to them so I could hit on something that would matter to them and would perhaps let them better understand my Catholic faith from their Mormon perspective.

I of course intend (if we meet) to allow them to make a presentation to me. I’ve met with Mormons before, but always as a Protestant and I don’t remember much other than the book of Mormon and different things. And I’ve seen a video that a Baptist group did, which talks about their missionary program.

And maybe a thread that I could review.

Hi Rob, do a search on Catholic Answers for information on Mormons. They believe the Church ceased to exist except for an underground movement and was brought back by Smith. You will have nothing in common with their beliefs. Good Luck.

You may want to start the conversation by mentioning the fact that one of the Mormon “prophets” (I think it may have even been Joseph Smith, Jr.) said one that either the Mormon church or the Catholic Church were the true Church and that were no other possibilities.

From this, you can enter a discussion of the high improbability – biblically and historically – of the alleged “Great Apostasy” and the case for the Catholic Church being the one started and maintained by Christ for 2000 years.

Hi,

This thread is a decent start.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=109773

Remember that the LDS are a true American sub-culture and the history of violence against them is one of the main factors in the formation of that sub-culture. Thus they tend to view even the slightest un-charitable action or statement as an attack, even when it isn’t. I suggest you peruse the “Truth in Love to Mormons” website.

truthinlovetomormons.com/site_map.htm

It has a lot of useful information on evangelizing LDS missionaries. Keep in mind that the site is a Lutheran endeavor, so feel free to disregard any doctrinal or theological errors and just take what you need from it.

Hope this helps and God speed.

Peace,
+Nathan

Hi Rob memorise Isaiah 43:10. When you go to meet with them again bring a sister in the Lord who is stronger at witnessing then you are. Mormons tend to have women speak with women, and men speak with men. Let them quote scripture, but take the time to stop them with every quote and read the quote in context, most of the time the context of the passage will refute their doctrines.

For example, they will quote “there be gods many, and lords many” to prove that many gods exist. But, read it in context and it says, that there is only ONE God.

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 (King James Version)

5For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

6But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Why would God bother to suffer ignominy on the cross if He knew His Church would go apostate?

Didn’t He promise that the gates of Hell would never prevail against His Church?

Didn’t He promise to send His Spirit to guide the Church into “all truth”?

Didn’t He promise to be with His Church “to the end of days”?

Didn’t He promise to bind in Heaven anything His Church bound on earth?

I thought Mormon girls weren’t allowed to missionize males.:cool:

Well there was a girl with me at the time when they approached me.

I think I’ll ask them to meet me in one of the classrooms at church…at my Catholic parish! But probably they wont go for that:whistle:

Thanks for all your responses…

I realize now what I should have done. The one girl told me sort of like a conversation starter “I have found the Book of Mormon to be another testament of Jesus Christ.”

I should have taken her hand, made the sign of the cross with my finger on her hand, and said “You’ll have to confess that when you become Catholic”

At least she would have remembered that, and it would have been a sacramental to sort of tangebelize the situation.

But, I’m very slow and didn’t think of that till later.

Wow, I’ve got to tell you that I love your quote from St. Francis de Sales! Oh, and if you are goiing to meet with them again, I recommend reading Tim Staples’ “Nuts and Bolts” as a start-off for apologetics, not only with Mornoms but also with people of several other Protestant denominations. It gives situational setups and uses many quotes from the Bible, of which a few have already been mentioned.

I just watched a Journey Home episode on EWTN with a former LDS elder. He said there were a couple things that really opened his eyes that the Mormon church was not the true Church. One of the biggest things was the teaching that God was once a man and has evolved to a god. It never sat well with him (with good reason!) Jesus, as you may know, is not viewed as God but rather the Son of God but a separate God. He too is considered a man who evolved into a god. But a Catholic priest asked this man to read Hebrews 13:8 "8: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and for ever. " and it really struck him that the whole Mormon theology of evolving was unscriptural.

Interesting that the very first temptation from Satan in the Garden of Eden was that eating of the fruit would make man as gods…

This man said that many Mormons do not know about the core teachings of the Church, such as evolution to godhood nor do they know about the secret temple practices. Many Mormons suspect there are some real theological problems but they love the fellowship so much that they basically turn a blind eye. They are also taught to flee if someone really nails them on the scriptural unsoundness of the LDS church, so be prepared for that.

I would also like to add that in the Gospel of John, Jesus tells the woman at the well who says she knows the Messiah is coming, " I, who speak to you, am he." John 4:26 Now, cross-reference that with Isaiah 9:6 messianic prophecy " 6: For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government will be upon his shoulder, and his name will be called “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

There is a lot more but I’m tired and I have to get the kids to bed. I will try to post more in the morning.

Prayer Warrior,

Thanks very much for your input. I’ve got a friend visitng me, but when I’m back to my regular routine, I’m going to read up and review some LDS info.

Forinstance, I have this video called “The Mormon Puzzle” put out by the Southern Baptists I got several years ago that explains their beliefs and also describes how their missionaries learn scripted discussions, and if they get outside the scripts they know, usually they don’t know what to say.

So yeah, I intend to meet with the girls. And I plan to bring a Catholic lady friend with me, and I expect they will bring a Mormon guy friend with them.

Take care all!

Thanks Nathan, I’m checking out that website (with a cautious eye) right now, and will read through that thread here you linked at a later time soon.

God Bless,

Robert

Is this thread getting old and dried out? What would it take to spice it up?

What if I said… “One of the girls is awesomely sweet and if she were a single Catholic girl I would really want to get to know her more.”

I must admit, I don’t think I’ve ever had a girl give me her phone number so easily!!

Man, I think you may ned a different forum for this…

Actually a couple of the posts have been quiet helpful. Especially the one with the link to the website about witnessing to LDS.

And I have the DRE at Church willing to meet with them with me if I get it lined up. She’s far from an expert on LDS, but she is a very godly lady and would be awesome to have her there.

just a joke…:smiley:

Ok, gotcha, that’s cool!

This thread is still barely hanging on, but just by … a … thread!

I’m afraid the girls will be gone back to wherever they go by the time I get around to hanging out with them.

Do Mormons girls like to go to operas?? Or ballroom dance?

I’m just trying to think of a neat thing to do, you know, to discuss the Faith.

A lot of Mormons are into ballroom dance. Opera? Not so much.

BTW, I love opera, and all classical music. Here in SoCal, we have several really good classical radio stations. My favorite is KUSC, which is a college station. They play the very best music.

If you want a real classical thrill, purchase Joshua Bell’s new CD called “Voice of the Violin”. You will weep at the beauty of this music, I promise.

God love you,
Paul

Sweet, thanks Paul!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.