Metallica guitarist at a church's special event (yes, really)

I can't go to this because I have to be up early for the work next day. I'm posting this as a shout-out to those of y'all who get flak for the music you like:

*Central is honored to host a special screening of this award-winning documentary that affects thousands in our community alone. Filmmaker, Justin Hunt, and METALLICA guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield will join us on Thursday, May 12, to present and discuss this worldwide crisis of absent and disengaged fathers and the impact it has had on society.

The film includes on-camera interviews and testimonies from well-known author John Eldredge, world-champion boxer Johnny Tapia, fitness model Robin Decker and Hetfield.

The special screening will be followed by a question-and-answer session featuring Hetfield and Hunt.*
Source: centralaz.com/Arena/default.aspx?page=4222&eventId=5014

He’s participating at a Christian Church from what I read. And he comes to speak from his own experience about growing up without a dad on the scene. I believe his dad and mom died while he was very young. Perhaps he’s had a conversion. I know quite a few old wild rockers who are now faithful Catholics, including the likes of Bob Dylan and a few more that slip my mind just now.

[quote="Sherry_G, post:2, topic:238239"]
He's participating at a Christian Church from what I read. And he comes to speak from his own experience about growing up without a dad on the scene. I believe his dad and mom died while he was very young. Perhaps he's had a conversion. I know quite a few old wild rockers who are now faithful Catholics, including the likes of Bob Dylan and a few more that slip my mind just now.

[/quote]

Do you have a source on Bob Dylan? I've never heard that before and his Wikipedia page says nothing about it.

[quote="Archangelic, post:3, topic:238239"]
Do you have a source on Bob Dylan? I've never heard that before and his Wikipedia page says nothing about it.

[/quote]

Bob converted in the late 70's and early 80's. He since has reverted to Judaism. Several of his albums from this time are explicity religious and the songs are concerned with Christ.

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:4, topic:238239"]
Bob converted in the late 70's and early 80's. He since has reverted to Judaism. Several of his albums from this time are explicity religious and the songs are concerned with Christ.

[/quote]

1978-1981 called his Jesus Years when he was with the Vineyard Christian Fellowship, There have been books and documentaries on the subject, Dylan being a superstar among the baby boomer generation. By the mid 80s he talked less and less about his faith Slow Train Coming and Saved are the albums from that era, when all he did was gospel I understand he still performs songs from those albums when he plays concerts.

The veteran producer Jerry Wexler used to tell a story about how Bob tried to evangelise him while recording Slow Train Coming. To the point where Jerry used to tell Bob they were just there to make a record and that he was a Jewish atheist in his early sixties and to leave it alone.

That is so awesome! I love James Hetfield. Wish he'd come to my church lol. :D

i think james had a very sour experience with protestant christianity as a child since his parents were christian scientists.

Yeah I recall James, saying he grew up in a Christian Science household. I know he is a collector of crosses. On another note, their lead guitarist Kirk Hammett I believe was raised Catholic he actually mentions attending parochial school and being taught by nuns. Last I heard he is now a Taoist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.