Methodism

As you may know, I was raised a devout United Methodist. I just thought it would be fun to talk about it, all the good, bad, and ugly things. Maybe you can ask me a question about it and give you the inside scoop. Or share your experiences. Please be charitable though since I still have family that is Methodist.

Dxu

Why the name Methodist? What method are we talking about?

-D

[quote=Darrel]Why the name Methodist? What method are we talking about?

-D
[/quote]

The name Methodist was actually a derogatory term in the early days. The Wesley brothers were know for the attention to detail and were very methodical with prayer, worship, and so. People thought they were ridicuolus and started calling them Methodists as a bad thing. The name stuck.

Dxu

What is the difference between United Methodist and Free Methodist?

[quote=shannin]What is the difference between United Methodist and Free Methodist?
[/quote]

While United Methodism is more of my field, I think I can field this question.

FM is different in that it provides a more uniform expression of historic Methodism. The UMC and FM both share common heritage. FM appeared though during the Holiness Movement in the 19th century and its main concern was getting back to the roots of Methodism. Things such as helping the poor and the end of racism were major beliefs.

Free Methodism is off the mainstream Protestant path by a few yards.

dxu

[quote=shannin]What is the difference between United Methodist and Free Methodist?
[/quote]

I realized I did not answer what is United Methodism.

UM is actually a mixture of the Evangelical United Bretheren and Methodists. It happened in 1968 in Dallas when the two leaders of the groups joined forces. UM is your typical mainstream Protestantism. If you have any specific questions on certain issues please feel free to ask.

dxu

Did Methodists originally split from Lutherans, like most Protestants or did the split directly from Catholicism like Angelicans?

What is a typical Methodist service like. I’m pretty curious about the religion because the house I grew up in was right next to a Methodist church and every now and then people would come knock on our door asking for my Dad, who they assumed was the Methodist Pastor!

[quote=Jabronie]Did Methodists originally split from Lutherans, like most Protestants or did the split directly from Catholicism like Angelicans?
[/quote]

Peace be with you,

Methodists are an out growth of the Anglican Church before it became the Episcopal Church of America. They are essentially, Anglican.

Peace.

Don’t most Methodists believe in Universal Reconciliation?

If so, how do you justify that?

[quote=Jabronie]Did Methodists originally split from Lutherans, like most Protestants or did the split directly from Catholicism like Angelicans?
[/quote]

They broke from Anglicanism.

dxu

[quote=Laud_God]Don’t most Methodists believe in Universal Reconciliation?

If so, how do you justify that?
[/quote]

I am unfamiliar with this concept. Could you please explain it.

dxu

Hail, snowman, from a fellow former Methodist. I attended that great unofficial UM institution Asbury College from 1976-1980. Oddly enough, it was there that I learned to be more tolerant of Catholics. It was the beginning of a long thaw that took me all the way into the Church of Rome. I have fond memories of the school and the devout Christians I met there, and still have a lot of friends in the UM Church.

Under the Mercy,
Phaedrus

[quote=snowman10]I am unfamiliar with this concept. Could you please explain it.

dxu
[/quote]

Universal Reconciliation is the belief that everyone goes to Heaven. I’m not positive that Methodists believe this, but I heard that Wesley believed it.

Forget what I said. After looking into it, whoever told me that was wrong. :thumbsup:

[quote=snowman10]As you may know, I was raised a devout United Methodist. I just thought it would be fun to talk about it, all the good, bad, and ugly things. Maybe you can ask me a question about it and give you the inside scoop. Or share your experiences. Please be charitable though since I still have family that is Methodist.

Dxu
[/quote]

I, too, was raised in the Methodist Church…I loved it…As I understand it, the Methodist Church has changed over the years, and is no longer evangelical, but more secular in its approach to some things…such as abortion…

I have wonderful memories of my Methodist upbringing…Sunday School, prayer meetings on Wednesday (you went to church twice on Sunday and once in the middle of the week), revivals (I can even remember tent meetings), and the music…Those old hymns still make me cry.

I have no regrets about my upbringing…it was one of the bridges that lead me to the Catholic Church…A building block, if you will…I loved it, and have so many good memories.

How do the Methodists justify women becomining Ministers?

Catholic Heart,

I feel your sentiments. Yes it has changed a great deal, at least over the 20 years that I have been alive…:rolleyes:…Anywho, topics like abortion they are wishy-washy on. To be quite honest, they and most other Protestant groups are so wrong it isn’t funny. Think about it; abortion, homosexual marriage, euthanasia, etc. I am really hoping that they see the light and turn it around, and then head back to the Church. But I loved growing up in it till I realized it was made by man.

Rebecca New,

Interesting question. The UMC says that those women ordained today are “standing on the shoulders” of the early female laypersons. Early in the Methodist church, women lay persons were not allowed to be ordained but they did fill in dioconal roles, visiting the sick and so on. But the women felt they were to be ordained, and since two-thirds of members were women, it was really a majority issue. They argued that they were called to serve. Since the ordination ruling, there have been 14 women bishops in the UMC. As you can see, there is little theology behind their reasoning.

dxu

my mother’s family is Methodist, but from a very strict tradition, no card playing, women must wear dresses, no dancing, swearing, alcohol etc. Grandmaw never forgave her daughter for marrying a Catholic, converting and having 6 kids, and mom swore (at the age of 60 when we went to visit Grandmaw in the home) that “mom doesn’t know I smoke, so don’t tell her”.

She was disgusted when the Brethren, who were numerous in her part of the world, and even stricter, and the Methodists united and the new church became so liberal. She ended up in a fundamentalist sect she found in her nursing home.

What is notable about this family that in Kentucky and Southern Ohio they were outspoken defenders of racial equality and social justice even before there was such a thing as a civil rights movement. I guess that is what makes them real Methodists.

Is there a reason why so many UMC parishes don’t look like traditional churches?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.