Methodist converting to Catholic?

Hello,

This is my first post so I’ll explain a little bit about my situation. Up until I moved to Kent at 10 years old, I did not believe in a God as parents did not and I was never brought up in a church. When I moved I became interested in Christianity and was encouraged to join the Girls Brigade and my local Methodist church by a school friend.After being offered (and nagged) to be baptised/confirmed I was in the February of 2010 without having really thought about it.

For the past few years I have had quite a rough time, with my closest friend attempting suicide and helping her out of severe depression. This made me question God massively and as a result I don’t really have a relationship with him. For this reason I feel as though I want to start afresh with my faith, and the Catholic church sticks out as a church which really focuses on Gods love. I have been in contact with a local Fr. about doing the RCIA programme and it is possible.

What I wanted to ask is this change possible, and whether anyone has done it? I realise this time that it s a much bigger commitment and I need to take it much more seriously than I did last time. Also I am 16 years old, which I know is not that old, but I do feel anxious as most of those taking their first communion are around 8 years old?

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

[quote="lolz1411, post:1, topic:276705"]
Hello,

This is my first post so I'll explain a little bit about my situation. Up until I moved to Kent at 10 years old, I did not believe in a God as parents did not and I was never brought up in a church. When I moved I became interested in Christianity and was encouraged to join the Girls Brigade and my local Methodist church by a school friend.After being offered (and nagged) to be baptised/confirmed I was in the February of 2010 without having really thought about it.

For the past few years I have had quite a rough time, with my closest friend attempting suicide and helping her out of severe depression. This made me question God massively and as a result I don't really have a relationship with him. For this reason I feel as though I want to start afresh with my faith, and the Catholic church sticks out as a church which really focuses on Gods love. I have been in contact with a local Fr. about doing the RCIA programme and it is possible.

What I wanted to ask is this change possible, and whether anyone has done it? I realise this time that it s a much bigger commitment and I need to take it much more seriously than I did last time. Also I am 16 years old, which I know is not that old, but I do feel anxious as most of those taking their first communion are around 8 years old?

Thank you for your time :)

[/quote]

Plunge into the water.
Swim to Christ.
The Roman Catholic Church is the best for you.
You will not regret.

I say go for it.

Be mindful that your parents may have a hard time with this decision, and they might deride you for it (with some schoolmates that is almost a certainty, but it's none of their business). Be aware that it could be more prudent to wait until you have reached college age but there is no reason for you not to do the RCIA program now, and do independent study and prayer after that until you are certain you are ready. Pray every day to know God's will for you, but try not to anguish over it, it should be a joyful journey.

It does happen that people your age make this kind of commitment, but it also happens that many such people burn out after the novelty wears off. I just think you should discuss it with your parents (if possible) and take your time (as long as you are in good health), let your faith mature like a fine wine :), savor it.

I like the way you’ve put that, thank you for your opinion :slight_smile:

[quote="Hesychios, post:3, topic:276705"]
I say go for it.

Be mindful that your parents may have a hard time with this decision, and they might deride you for it (with some schoolmates that is almost a certainty, but it's none of their business). Be aware that it could be more prudent to wait until you have reached college age but there is no reason for you not to do the RCIA program now, and do independent study and prayer after that until you are certain you are ready. Pray every day to know God's will for you, but try not to anguish over it, it should be a joyful journey.

It does happen that people your age make this kind of commitment, but it also happens that many such people burn out after the novelty wears off. I just think you should discuss it with your parents (if possible) and take your time (as long as you are in good health), let your faith mature like a fine wine :), savor it.

[/quote]

I do understand that, but I feel that I should start my journey now so when I leave for university I am sure of what I believe. Have you got any tips on how to approach my parents as my local Fr. has said that I need a parent at our meeting for child protection reasons, but I'm not sure how to ask? I think I am ready for this journey now :) Thank you for our opinion :D

Ask them directly and simplistic. Do you have meals together? You could 'chat' about it over a meal and explain the priest has asked for one of you to be there because you are only 16 and they will hopefully be aware of child protection. Every adult is in UK - or ought to be.

If your parents wont agree to be there, then contact the priest again and say they won't be there and ask if there is another way around it, another adult etc. There is always a way round with God. It might not at first show itself but with prayer and time it does.

Good luck with your journey with God;)

[quote="englishredrose, post:6, topic:276705"]
Ask them directly and simplistic. Do you have meals together? You could 'chat' about it over a meal and explain the priest has asked for one of you to be there because you are only 16 and they will hopefully be aware of child protection. Every adult is in UK - or ought to be.

If your parents wont agree to be there, then contact the priest again and say they won't be there and ask if there is another way around it, another adult etc. There is always a way round with God. It might not at first show itself but with prayer and time it does.

Good luck with your journey with God;)

[/quote]

I'm afraid to say that we don't very often eat meals together or do much together which is why I am concerned about bringing it up. I have emailed the priest saying that it may be difficult to see whether my eldest sister would be ok, or maybe a letter of consent from my parents would suffice. I d hope this works out as I feel this is where I am meant to be but many of my peers who are not religious don't agree with my decision and question why I cant just stay Methodist :/ Thank you very much :)

:yup:

Methodists and Catholics share the same Christ, of course.

Where they differ mainly, in my experience, is that Catholicism offers a definite number of doctrines and rituals which all Catholics must believe to be good Catholics. Methodism is a mainline Protestant denomination, which means today that it includes people with a variety of views on doctrinal matters as well as moral issues. Methodists do not believe that theirs is the only absolutely true faith, and in some countries they have merged with other Protestant groups. In Canada, for example, Methodists joined with Congregationalists and Presbyterians to form the United Church of Canada.

While Catholics all are expected to believe in such dogmas as the Virgin Birth, Methodists do or don't - an individual choice. Methodist worship is freer. They will have a children's day or a college student day (for example) when children or college youth conduct the worship service. Catholic worship is standard every Sunday everywhere. Methodists tend to emphasis theological conformity much less than Catholicism. Bible studies in Methodist churches permit and even encourage individual interpretation of scripture. 

Methodism in the South, by the way, is apt to be more conservative than Methodism in the Northwest or Far West.

If you prefer a strongly creedal and liturgical church, you will feel more at home within Catholicism. If you treasure freedom to roam theologically and are less ritualistic in your worship tastes, Methodism, Presbyterianism and the UCC would be more amendable to your tastes.

Both focus on the love of God, of course.

[quote="Pfaffenhoffen, post:2, topic:276705"]
Plunge into the water.
Swim to Christ.
The Roman Catholic Church is the best for you.
You will not regret.

[/quote]

Welcome home ! and that is the best thing i have heard all day :)

[quote="lolz1411, post:1, topic:276705"]
Hello,

This is my first post so I'll explain a little bit about my situation. Up until I moved to Kent at 10 years old, I did not believe in a God as parents did not and I was never brought up in a church. When I moved I became interested in Christianity and was encouraged to join the Girls Brigade and my local Methodist church by a school friend.After being offered (and nagged) to be baptised/confirmed I was in the February of 2010 without having really thought about it.

For the past few years I have had quite a rough time, with my closest friend attempting suicide and helping her out of severe depression. This made me question God massively and as a result I don't really have a relationship with him. For this reason I feel as though I want to start afresh with my faith, and the Catholic church sticks out as a church which really focuses on Gods love. I have been in contact with a local Fr. about doing the RCIA programme and it is possible.

Thank you for your time :)

[/quote]

If you are looking for truth, and not the freedom to choose whether to accept a teaching or not, then the Catholic Church is where you need to be. You can love God anywhere, but if you insist on knowing exactly what the gospels teach, and not a free interpretation, then the Catholic Church is where you need to be. The choice is yours. Pray that the Holy Spirit will lead you down the right road. If you ask, He will. Good luck and God bless.

[quote="Waiting, post:11, topic:276705"]
If you are looking for truth, and not the freedom to choose whether to accept a teaching or not, then the Catholic Church is where you need to be. You can love God anywhere, but if you insist on knowing exactly what the gospels teach, and not a free interpretation, then the Catholic Church is where you need to be. The choice is yours. Pray that the Holy Spirit will lead you down the right road. If you ask, He will. Good luck and God bless.

[/quote]

I understand that I will have less freedom to interpret as a Catholic, in your experience would you say that this ever makes you feel restricted or overwhelmed? Thanks :)

I converted to Catholicism when I was 16 - it can be done! I am 29 now and still think becoming Catholic was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Thank you for your reply. I think this is what I;m being called to do. I think at least trying the RCIA course will allow me to see whether this is the real path. I don;t mean this to sound offensive, but was that fact that you were older ever frowned upon by the church as I’m concerned that some people might look down on me due ot my parents not bringing me up in a religion? Thanks again :slight_smile:

Lots of Methodists have converted. My RCIA sponsor was Methodist before he converted.

Allen Hunt was a Methodist pastor who wrote a book on his conversion: Confessions of a Mega Church Pastor. I wrote a review of it here.

I have an interest in converts and their stories. I keep a list of converts who blog (checking, there are 7 ex-Methodists on the list), links to other resources and a good list of books by converts. These things are at: Convert Stories

[quote="lutherlic, post:15, topic:276705"]
Lots of Methodists have converted. My RCIA sponsor was Methodist before he converted.

Allen Hunt was a Methodist pastor who wrote a book on his conversion: Confessions of a Mega Church Pastor. I wrote a review of it here.

I have an interest in converts and their stories. I keep a list of converts who blog (checking, there are 7 ex-Methodists on the list), links to other resources and a good list of books by converts. These things are at: Convert Stories

[/quote]

Thank you very much for the interesting links. After reading them I feel as though I should document my journey, its has really inspired me! Could you just clarify what a sponsor is?

Get your hands on the Catholicism for dummies. It helps.

-Karl

I am 16 as well and I am in RCIA I will be baptized this Easter, for you it is too late to be baptized this time around. You will have to wait for another RCIA to start up later this year. Now don't let that keep you from going to sunday mass as you can still participate, you just won't be able to receive the Eucharist. You can go up with people in the line to receive a blessing. Just cross your arms across you chest to let the priest/Eucharistic minister know that you can only get a blessing. God bless you as you begin this journey, I know it is hard being religious at a young age but remember that on judgement day and you answer before God it will be a whole lot easier to say that you were at church on sunday rather than saying you had a hangover from partying.

[quote="CarloMagnus, post:17, topic:276705"]
Get your hands on the Catholicism for dummies. It helps.

-Karl

[/quote]

Thank you, I did earlier look at in online, I think I might order it :)

lolz1411 - God Bless you on your journey of faith! If you are concerned about your age, you don't need to be. You can become Catholic at any age. I have never seen people look down on anyone because they are a convert as opposed to a "cradle Catholic." In most of the Catholic circles I've been in, converts are actually seen as having interesting faith stories compared to those of us who came into the faith as babies.

You also asked someone else earlier in this thread

I understand that I will have less freedom to interpret as a Catholic, in your experience would you say that this ever makes you feel restricted or overwhelmed?

It gives me a feeling of being settled. Frankly, I'm not holy enough or smart enough to figure all of this stuff out on my own. It gives me a sense of peace and security knowing that if I have a question about something, people have thought, prayed, and written about it already, often hundreds of years ago. This faith has stood the test of time, so I see more credibility than just what I can come up with by myself.

I hope to see more of you on CAF!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.