Methodists

What do they beleive and what is wrong with it? What points could be made when talking with a Methodist? I’m a Catholic wondering about a possible future chat I may have about this subject and don’t want to appear an idiot.

umc.org/site/c.lwL4KnN1LtH/b.1353935/k.BE6A/Home.htm

What do they beleive

It is wikipedia so take it for what it is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methodist

Here is what the Catholic encyclopedia has:

newadvent.org/cathen/10237b.htm

and what is wrong with it?

I am not going to go there. But if you are talking to someone and trying to prove their faith wrong I don’t think you will get very far. Talk to them about Catholicism and your own faith, instead of trying to prove their faith wrong.

Some Catholic author said along the lines that Protestants think that if you attack Catholicism a Catholic will automatically become Protestant. Not so. You don’t add anything to Protestantism by attacking Catholicism. You may very well destroy someones faith and leave them with nothing.

I don’t know who said this but it works the same way with Protestants.

and don’t want to appear an idiot.

Know your faith.

God bless

Good points… I was raised Nazarene and also attended a Free Methodist university before converting a few years ago. You will get further in your discussions by praising what they have right, then talking about what we have in the fullness and beauty of the Catholic Church. Keep it positive…

I started this thread from concern for a fellow Catholic who seems to be getting a little too friendly with the Methodist view and has made some alarming statements about Catholicims. Please pray that my friend doesn’t stray:( Any advice with answering the necessity and importance of the Sacrements (particularly Confession and the Holy Eucharist) as opposed to a Methodist way of thinking would be great.

The Catholic Answers library has some good reading for you and your friend:

catholic.com/library/sacraments.asp

The Eucharist:

catholic.com/library/Christ_in_the_Eucharist.asp

scripturecatholic.com/the_eucharist.html

And this site has some great stuff. Download the MP3’s

biblechristiansociety.com/

God bless

Faith and Good Works

United Methodists insist that faith and good works belong together. What we believe must be confirmed by what we do. Personal salvation must be expressed in ministry and mission in the world. We believe that Christian doctrine and Christian ethics are inseparable, that faith should inspire service. The integration of personal piety and social holiness has been a hallmark of our tradition. We affirm the biblical precept that “faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead” (James 2:17).

Excerpt from The United Methodist Primer, 2005 Revised Edition by Chester E. Custer (Discipleship Resources, 2005); p. 59.

So similar to us…

Thank you for this further clarification. The Catholic Faith is the deposit of truth. It has held that ground for 2000 years. Everything else is derivative. If reverence for God is important remain Catholic. If an ocean of truth as opposed to fairly narrow sectarianism is important remain Catholic. If stability of belief is important remain Catholic. If connection to Christ and St. Peter are important remain Catholic. If an ocean of devotion is important remain Catholic.

I know. I was a United Methodist Pastor for 27 years and rejoice everyday that I have now been an Eastern Catholic for almost 8 years.

CDL

Understand that not all Methodist Churches are the same.
The UMC has very little in common with First Congregational Methodist Churches, we (FCM) do not have female ministers nor do we have bishops.
WP

So how would a FCM feel about the UMC statement on faith and works which Joey posted?

God bless

I can offer you my point of view, FWIW.

I chose to be baptized Methodist when I was 13. I stayed a Methodist, but am currently going through RCIA as a candidate.

I don’t regret one minute as a Methodist, but I am sorry it took so long to come home. I was spiritually hungry, and soon became nauseated upon realizing that there was more interest in the material.

Now, it really feels like a Joel Osteen (name?) seminar…umm…service.

We would agree, it is pure Wesleyan thought.
It is other more “modern” aspects of the UMC which we do not go along with, female clergy, disarmament, praise for the UN etc.
WP

:yup: :yup: …Maybe that’s why I feel:) so much at home here…

The UMC has very little in common with First Congregational Methodist Churches, we (FCM) do not have female ministers nor do we have bishops.WP

We would agree, it is pure Wesleyan thought.
It is other more “modern” aspects of the UMC which we do not go along with, female clergy, disarmament, praise for the UN etc.
WP

Some of us:) United Methodists are with you on this…and, I suspect, that there are some FCM who are more modern??

I would have put the first statement: “Not all Methodists are the same”. :slight_smile:

God bless all here.

Both of you echo my thoughts. I have a friend who is a Methodist pastor (with a practicing Catholic wife). I also have another Methodist friend that I see almost every week. There is just such a wonderful emphasis on charity in the Methodist Church, which I also see in the Catholic Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.