Mexican police: Van with cannon used to shoot drugs to US

DOUGLAS, AZ (AP) -
Mexican authorities believe that a stolen truck outfitted with a cannon and parked near the U.S.-Mexico border was used to launch items into Douglas, Arizona.

Federal police found the van parked in a street in Agua Prieta, Mexico, which borders with Douglas, last week. The van was reported stolen out of Hermosillo over the summer.

Photos provided by Mexican authorities show a black van with a giant cannon coming out of it.

Drug smugglers have used similar methods in the past, including using catapults to literally send drugs flying over the border.

Border Patrol spokesman Vicente Paco said the most common method is throwing softball-sized marijuana packages over the border fence that are picked up by smugglers on the U.S. side.

He said finding cannons is rare and only happens every couple of years

cbs5az.com/story/33140042/mexican-police-van-with-cannon-used-to-shoot-drugs-to-us?autostart=true

I know this is serious, but I have a vision of the mascot at ball games that shoots t-shirts in to the stands.

Basically, it is about the same.

Inside the vehicle, authorities found “an air compressor, a gasoline motor, a tank for storing air and a metallic tube of approximately 3 meters in length (homemade bazooka).”

The “unit,” as the release referred to it, also had a cut in the end that could have allowed the metal tube to be hooked up to launch projectiles, possibly across the border.

businessinsider.com/mexican-narco-drug-cannon-discovered-across-border-from-arizona-2016-9

I have sometimes thought the best barrier at the border would be a five-mile-wide strip of coiled barbed wire, like a WWI “no man’s land”. I would donate a few miles of it myself. Five miles is a long dig for the tunnelers. Hand-lobbed or catapulted drugs would land in the barbed wire. As to the cannon, getting enough propellant to send a canister of drugs more than five miles would stand a fair chance of the canister not surviving the blastoff.

Who’s going to buy out the people on both sides who live along the border?

Just saying…legalizing drugs and treating it as public health issues (like we did for our entire history up to the 60’s/70’s), would put all of these guys out of business along with the crime associated with it.

When someone steals your drug throwing cannon, you can’t file a report with the cops, you have to go vigilante and that is why we have such a problem.

Legalize drugs…no more problem.

And that is not to say encourage their use or completely deregulate, but I think there is something of a failure in this “war on drugs”.

On a lighter note…I wonder if the Trump wall would be tall enough to stop this?

Probably not.

And if the cannons were stopped, new methods of movement would be brought in.

ICXC NIKA

Condemn it. What’s five miles of mostly desert worth? Probably the people in the next fifty miles would volunteer the cost in order to keep the drug carriers off their property, if given the chance. No small part of it is government land already. No need to buy out the Mexican side at all.

You’d be condemning entire cities. The border is not just a desert.

A LOT of people own ranch land along the Bravo; you’d have a fight on your hands.

The US government has had trouble even building that 18 foot fence along the border precisely because private landowners have fought it.

There are miles of gaps between segments and openings in the fence itself. As a result of the Secure Fence Act passed in 2006, the government built some 650 miles of wall along the 1,954-mile U.S.-Mexico boundary. While 1,254 miles of that border is in Texas, the state has only some 100 miles of wall.

Hundreds of property owners were sued just to build the existing chunks of wall. Some 400 relinquished properties ranging in size from a driveway to commercial lots and farms, costing the government at least $15 million, according to an AP review of land cases in 2012.

Among them was Eloisa Tamez, who refused to cede her three acres in San Benito, land that had been in her family for generations. A federal judge ruled in the government’s favor, and Tamez was compensated $56,000, with which she funded a scholarship at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley where she works as a professor.

“It might be just a little piece of land,” she said. “But to me it meant my life.”

latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2016/01/01/completing-border-wall-is-daunting-task-in-texas-were-most-land-is-privately/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.