Mexico: We will not pay for Trump border wall

bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38753826

Mexico will not pay for Donald Trump’s border wall, the country’s president has said in a message to the nation. Enrique Pena Nieto said he “lamented” the plans for the barrier, adding that “Mexico doesn’t believe in walls”.

But he made no mention of cancelling or postponing a trip to Washington on 31 January to meet the new US president. Mr Trump has signed an executive order for an “impassable physical barrier” and has insisted Mexico will reimburse the US for it.

Mr Pena Nieto told the nation in a televised address: "I’ve said time and again; Mexico won’t pay for any wall. “I regret and condemn the decision of the United States to continue construction of a wall that, for years, has divided us instead of uniting us.”

I could very well be wrong but I think Trump is planning on convincing the Mexican president to work with US border patrols by providing Mexico’s own border patrols on Mexico’s side of the border.

Or something similar. A 2000 mile wall isn’t feasible.

Mexico isn’t going to start guarding the frontier against their own citizens, either. They aren’t East Germany.

The wall could be built, however that would just enable the human smugglers to make even more money getting people across.

ICXC NIKA

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump

The U.S. has a 60 billion dollar trade deficit with Mexico. It has been a one-sided deal from the beginning of NAFTA with massive numbers…

of jobs and companies lost. If Mexico is unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall, then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting.

twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/824616644370714627

The president of Mexico had previously announced he was considering not going after Trump signed the executive order to build the wall.

Mexico has more to lose with bad relations with the US [they get subsidies from the US to use for security purposes] and Trump is in a better bargaining position on this.

Even if trump succeeds and they build a 100ft wall the entire length of the border, it will not be effective.

Proof of this can be seen right now, in a post 9-11 world, the mexican drug cartels are still CONSISTENTLY able to get their product thru the border and on to its US destination. If they can get that much product into the US, I have no doubt the same can be done with people.

Yes, since drugs, people and money flow like a river to/ from the US/ Mexico, a big wall will not be anymore effective than the fence that is in place right now.

It really all depends on popular public opinion at the time though, if they can convince enough people a Berlin wall type border is a positive/ safe thing, history will remember this wall much differently than the old Berlin wall.

Hasn’t the wall that was built in Israel been very successful at stopping illegal immigration?

As for Mexico paying for the wall, a Trump plan released in 2016 proposed as an option increasing visa fees and cards for crossing the border as an option to pay for the wall:
washingtonpost.com/apps/g/page/politics/memo-explains-how-donald-trump-plans-to-pay-for-border-wall/2007/?tid=a_inl-amp

Seems like a non sequitur: are they getting through the border patrol or through large swaths of land that are not controlled or patrolled?

Um, last time I checked, Mexico was not part of the United States. We don’t need to be united with them.

:thumbsup:

Christian response to the Israeli wall:

What is the source for that photo? What wall is that? I meant the wall bordering Israel and Egypt.

That is not what I was referring to. I should have been clearer.

The photo you posted shows the Pope at the wall between Israel and the West Bank: npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/05/25/315674817/pope-francis-arrives-in-west-bank-town-of-bethlehem

I meant the border between Israel and Egypt. It’s not actually called a wall, but called the Israel-Egypt Barrier: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel–Egypt_barrier

This is the effect that barrier has had according to the article:

While 9,570 citizens of various African countries entered Israel illegally in the first half of 2012, only 34 did the same in the first six months of 2013, after construction of the main section of the barrier was completed. [15][16][17]

(I didn’t include hyperlinks)

On this forum, for a lot of people, Mr. Trump’s opinion trumps the Pope’s :stuck_out_tongue:

Please, we can all follow the forum rules and discuss these issues without attacking each other.

No, in history it will be the same as the Chinese and Jerusalem city walls, a tourist attraction whose purpose is now beside the point.

Whooh! Are we really so afraid a people now that we can’t abide our poorer neighbors seeking a way to feed their families?

ICXC NIKA

Apologies. I don’t have an opinion on that.

I didn’t name any individuals. It wasn’t an attack. What I said was tongue-in-cheek…but it is my honest opinion based on observations here that many Trump-supporters on this forum do value Mr. Trump’s opinions over and above that of their pope and bishops. They won’t admit it…but its clear in the positions they endorse. For example, those who bend over backwards to justify his support of torture by implying the Catechism’s definition of “torture” is different than Mr. Trump’s definition of “torture”. Its a lot of double speak.

Why just the neighbor? How about all the poor in the world? How about we merge the two countries? I’m being serious. If we want to help the whole country of Mexico and predicate our national policy on that, then why don’t we just have one unified country with Mexico? That would make more sense and we’d be able to enforce and manage our laws better.

Maybe. Except that if the international community starts to consider that Trump will treat THEM as he appears to want to treat Mexico, Mexico is suddenly in a very strong position, given that Trump seems intent on (inadvertently) turning the U.S. into a pariah state.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.