Miami-Dade Transit to remove `offensive' Islamic bus ads

Miami Herald:
[LEFT][LEFT]

[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Miami-Dade Transit to remove `offensive’ Islamic bus ads

[LEFT] Miami-Dade Transit is pulling advertisements from 10 buses that South Florida Muslims have said are offensive to Islam.
The ads, which went up Tuesday, said Fatwa on your head? Is your community or family threatening you?'' and directed Muslims to a website encouraging them to leave Islam. Robert Spencer, associate director of New York-based Stop the Islamization of America, which purchased the ads for one-month as the first leg of a national campaign, said they wereoffered in defense of religious liberty.’’
But on Thursday, Miami-Dade Transit spokeswoman Karla Damian said that after reviewing the ads, the department decided they ``may be offensive to Islam’’ and would remove them before the buses ran on Friday.
[/LEFT]

The theory, at least, is that transit authorities accept ads on a content-neutral basis, i.e., accept ads from anyone; Christian, atheist, Mormon, &c. and in fact the ad above was a response to a pro-Islamic ad that ran on Miami-Dade buses last year.

[quote="didymus, post:1, topic:195426"]

The theory, at least, is that transit authorities accept ads on a content-neutral basis, i.e., accept ads from anyone; Christian, atheist, Mormon

[/quote]

Indeed, and my first thought was regarding the controversy over atheist bus ads.

The one difference I see is that although the atheist ad, and the older Muslim ad, were promoting their faith, the current ad is attacking a faith. I think that is the controversy. If someone tried to run an ad urging people to leave Christianity, I think there would be a similar (perhaps even louder) outcry.

[quote="Dale_M, post:2, topic:195426"]
Indeed, and my first thought was regarding the controversy over atheist bus ads.

The one difference I see is that although the atheist ad, and the older Muslim ad, were promoting their faith, the current ad is attacking a faith.

[/quote]

The ad is not attcaking Islam, it is reaching out to Moslems who have already decided they want out.

I think that is the controversy. If someone tried to run an ad urging people to leave Christianity, I think there would be a similar (perhaps even louder) outcry.

An outcry, yeah, but the ads would stay on the buses. You can insult Christians and Christianity all you want but the media & even gov't bodies knuckle under when CAIR complains.

What's wrong with it-as a man i'm quite used to being portrayed as a probable rapist,certain wife abuser on all sorts of signs including billboards.Let me assure you certain brands of Islam are WAAAAAY more dangerous than me.We are having a very bad problem with "honour killings" of young Muslim females in Canada.Google Honour Killings,Canada or Rideau canal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.