Michigan judge blocks implementing contraception insurance requirement

Birth control controversy: Michigan judge blocks implementing contraception insurance requirement

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr33/MickeyFinn734/pill-may-affect-lifespan.jpg

mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/michigan_judge_temporarily_blo.html#incart_river_default

A federal judge has temporarily blocked implementation of a requirement that most employers provide birth control coverage at no cost to employees as part of health insurance plans, ruling it may infringe the religious rights of a Michigan-based seller of outdoor power equipment.

**U.S. District Robert Cleland **in Detroit said Wednesday that family-owned Weingartz Supply Co. - which has more than 170 employees and stores in Utica, Farmington Hills, Cedar Springs and Clarkston - showed “some” likelihood of winning at trial, though not a “strong” likelihood. He deferred for now, however, to the company’s president, Daniel Weingartz, a practicing Catholic who designed a health plan that excludes contraception coverage in observance of Catholic teaching.

ATB

I know the Weingartz family; really solid, good Catholics. They have always run their business according to Catholic principles.

It’s great to hear that this mandate is being stopped for them, and other Catholic businessment, at least temporarily.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply brendan. I’ve seen the signs a few times. But, I’ve never done business with them.

I thought more folks would see this as good news.:shrug:

ATB

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.