Michigan Postal Worker Hoarded Thousands of Pieces of Mail Instead of Delivering Them

**And the government wants to take over healthcare! **

Michigan Postal Worker Hoarded Thousands of Pieces of Mail Instead of Delivering Them

DETROIT — There were jokes and snickers at a Michigan post office when customers learned that an overwhelmed carrier had rented a storage unit to hide thousands of pieces of mail.
“I heard a couple of people come in and say, 'Can I pick up my mail — or is it in storage?”’ said Annette Koss, the postmaster in Howell, 50 miles northwest of Detroit. "We just didn’t understand it. It’s such a stupid thing to do."
Jill Hull pleaded guilty Tuesday to deserting the mail, a misdemeanor. The case is rare but it happens: From North Carolina to North Dakota, carriers in recent months have been hauled to court for failing to fulfill their routes.
Mail has been found in basements, garages and, in Hull’s case, a self-storage unit in Michigan’s Livingston County. In North Carolina, a mail carrier admitted to keeping junk mail buried in his backyard…
**http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,480985,00.html **

I have heard of that happening before. In one place I lived, the post master retired and they found 11 bags of old mail. They also found numerous bags at his house.:rolleyes:

In another place I lived, my mailman was arrested for having several pounds of pot, a partially made bomb,:bigyikes: and two duffel bags of undelivered mail in the back of his SUV. They went to his house and found a bomb, materials to make a bomb, a methamphetamin lab, 3 boxes of undelivered mail, and several more pounds of pot. Where do they get these mail people anyway?:shrug:

This guy sounds like has that hoarding disorder, or whatever, that leads people to refuse to throw anything out. Strange.

In the eighties I was home on leave [Kalamazoo, MI] and a couple of cousins called and said to meet them at a bar downtown at noon I figured it was their day off. When I got there five postal trucks in the parking lot you know the little jeeps with the steering wheel on the wrong side. I go inside and they were all drinking beer and we stayed there and drank to about 4:00 P.M.

I ask a cousin what about the mail he said they would deliver it tomorrow.

They did this about once a week work the morning and get drunk in the afternoon deliver the mail the next day. They did it for years, never got it trouble, today they’re retired postal workers.

I think about it today and it’s weird that nobody ever called the post office and complained about these guys getting drunk on the job.

It is time to privatize the US Post Office. USPS can’t even compete with UPS or Fedex. Deustch Post is one of the world’s largest mail carrier company. It used to be government owned. Deustch Post operates DHL in the US. Japan also privatized its postal service creating the one of the largest holder of personal savings in the world with over 2.1 trillion dollars under management.

Yes I think your right. I remember when the USPS would not deliver overnight or next-day until they got competition.

I though DHL stopped home delivery’s in the U.S.?

Okay, this explains why some of my mother’s letters to and from a penpal in Michigan simply didn’t make it to their designated destinations. :: Fumes at this guy for not doing his darn job and hurting their correspondence::

Here’s a link:
DHL Express to Focus U.S. Business on International Services

U.S. Domestic-only services end January 30, 2009

marketwatch.com/news/story/DHL-Express-Focus-US-Business/story.aspx?guid=%7B33087DB0-161A-4EED-97D4-51711EF1A19C%7D

many mass marketers are now shipping all the orders for one zip code to the local post office by UPS, and allowing the PO to deliver the individual pieces to the homeowners, because UPS excels at getting the packages between cities, but USPS is better and more efficient at individual deliveries. That is how many of our customers are now doing it.

one bad apple does not spoil the whole barrel in this instance.

Where I work when I first started most incoming orders came to us from USPS we still get some; very little now most is email. We still have a daily run to the local post office to pick up mail.

For our flyers and promotions we heavily us them; it seems most people still want a piece paper in their hands.

To be honest I’ve never had a problem with the post office I’ve always had fine service from them. The only place I’ve heard about bad service is on TV from some comic or sitcom.

I still think it should be privatized because the government just mismanages everything too much waste.

We have had DHL deliver to the house one time. After that all packages were sent to the USPS. UPS and FEDX still deliver directly to the home out here.

I do agree that one bad apple does not spoil the whole barrel. The only times we have had a problem with getting our mail was when someone (a kid most likely) beat all the mail boxes in. Of course, ours was completely missing and we had to get a new one. Either that or they won’t stop at the box if a snow drift is too high.

Some people think this is funny. Let me tell you it is not.

My mail was part of this same type of situation. Not all our mail or our neighbors but enough to ruin credit ratings, loose life and health insurance because of missing bills or questionnaires… The companies that we would call because we did not receive our bills did not believe us or our neighbors. We were in a living he**. This went on for two years. It has taken many of us the five years since this to get some things fixed (like credit ratings).

Our bills were not delivered, including credit cards, utility and the final payment notice on our home, we owed a total of $112 as a final payment after 25 years of automatic payments. We were sent a foreclosure notice that came registered so we got it. Not a very funny situation.

Auto registrations, insurance notices, personal mail from friends and family everything and anything was fair game. The thing was that the man was arrested, declared mentally ill and after one year was back on the job. His records were sealed due to his illness. The only thing we received, until an attorney demanded information for proof, was a suggestion by the government to send copies of the public newspaper coverage to the credit agencies.

I’m going to pipe up and defend my parents and their coworkers. Yes, I’ve known a “few bad apples” myself (and I know a few horror stories), but the greater percentage of the rural carriers I’ve met have been hard working, honest, and decent folks. Many perform “extra duties” like reading letters to their visually impaired or illiterate customers, hand delivering mail to their elderly customers on icy days so they wouldn’t “get out in the snow and break a hip”. At least 5 of the post offices in the area hold regular food drives and collects coats and toys in the Advent season (what everyone else calls the Christmas season) to distribute to families who can’t afford them. A great majority of them have served in various wars and conflicts in history. These are the majority of the postal workers in the US (and I can imagine worldwide)… the stuff that doesn’t make the news. What makes the news is just a very small minority.

God Bless!
Ericka

I’m going to pipe up and defend my parents and their coworkers. Yes, I’ve known a “few bad apples” myself, but the greater percentage of the rural carriers I’ve met have been hard working, honest, and decent folks. Many perform “extra duties” like reading letters to their visually impaired or illiterate customers, hand delivering mail to their elderly customers on icy days so they wouldn’t “get out in the snow and break a hip”. At least 5 of the post offices in the area hold regular food drives and collects coats and toys in the Advent season (what everyone else calls the Christmas season) to distribute to families who can’t afford them. A great majority of them have served in various wars and conflicts in history.

God Bless!
Ericka

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.