Michigan priest uses squirt gun to bless parishioners with holy water

Just another example of how the concept of sacredness has been stripped from many modern Catholic Churches.

To say that it’s just an “external” that doesn’t matter is being dishonest. Externals, doing things in a proper way DO matter.

It’s like if the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was just sauntering around, sloppily dressed, wearing high top sneakers, and carrying a nerf gun instead of an actual rifle. Nobody would see that as a somber and serious tribute.

7 Likes

Getting a blessing from a power washer might sting a little… ouch.

Really dislike it. Lowers the dignity that should surround a sacramental or liturgical practice. As others said, the sprinkler already involved distancing, so it’s unnecessary. This is, to me, another example of trying to be “cool” and appeal to the culture, which never works, and only makes a mockery of the faith. Blessing with Holy Water is just that - a blessing. Bestowing a blessing with a water gun? No. What’s next? Clown masses? ahem :yum:

5 Likes

Just the Mass. It’s not like that’s not part of the Ordinary Form.

1 Like

This news article showed up on one of my secular forums yesterday, where most of the posters are agnostics, atheists, or “spiritual but not religious” and often criticize or mock Christians and priests.

The vast majority of the comments were supportive and thought the priest did a cool thing. Only one person out of maybe 25 who commented made a snarky/ nasty remark.

Let’s not forget the power of evangelization that some of these unconventional actions have. People criticized Don Bosco in his day for going around juggling and doing magic tricks, thinking it was unbecoming. But look how many he brought to God, and look who’s the saint today.

4 Likes

One of the more innovative things I learned about in college theology classes.

The demand was so high that priests were unable to keep up with it. As you can add a lesser volume of plain water to Holy Water and still have Holy Water, they rigged the float so as to add water nice and early.

A swamp cooler works the same way; a float on an arm that opens the valve once the float goes down enough.

1 Like

I think that the priest used poor judgment. I used to be an Evangelical and they did gimmicky things like this all the time. Not good, I think.

4 Likes

Have to admit, pretty clever

Triggers a memory from way back when I was an altar boy. For a while the six “High Mass candles” (remember those?) on the main altar consisted of metal tubes about 3 feet long and 2 inches in diameter sitting on large candlestick holders. They were the color of natural beeswax and had a spring inside. The actual candles were the typical inch or so in diameter and about 12 inches long which rested inside the tubes on the springs. As the actual candles burned down the pressure of the springs would keep the flame at the top of the tube so they were always at a uniform height and it looked like they never burned down. Only the sacristan and we servers ever knew.

And of course now you hear tell of churches which have (ugh) electric votive lights.

I want to say that Rome slapped down those electro ones a couple of years ago, but I could be mistaken.

In my byzantine parish, both he altar and processional candles use liquid wax and a wick.

I leave refilling them to those less likely to spill the wax. . .
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

There’s no way LED “candles” can replace real ones. The “flame” isn’t a real flame, and doesn’t have the warmth or the same glow. They look artificial, because they are. Personally, I think they’re rather tacky.

I’m of Polish descent, live and was born and raised on the NW side of Chicago. I’ve been steeped in and surrounded by Polish Catholic parishes just about all my life, and the parish I attend is now staffed by priests born in Poland. My dad and his siblings were raised in and went to school at St. Helen’s, one of the gateway parishes for Polish immigrants.

All I can say is that this is a new one to me!

1 Like

Honestly, this is pretty terrible.

I’ve seen many priests “toss” holy water pretty far using an aspergillum (whether brush form or “ball” form)

2 Likes

It was in Poland itself, not the US :slight_smile:

Oh, OK…I guess that explains it. Maybe they aren’t as flush with cash as we are here…

1 Like

Something about Americans and their love of guns. lol

Is that the one with the bright green water pistol or was that here in Ireland? Raised eyebrows and a real and unnecessary distraction from the true significance and holiness. Or, rather what holiness?

I cannot post links but saw yesterday here in Ireland a video that has " gone viral" of priests breaking into Irish dancing at the end of mass. In front of the altar still in their robes. Undignified and distracting. This is MASS not vaudeville.

1 Like

When I was in my freshman year I went with a group to D.C. to visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We even got to see the barracks where the guards live.

It’s a privilege to guard the Tomb and the guards take it VERY seriously. You can’t have one speck of dust on your uniform. Buttons and boots shined and polished to a T. Rifles so clean you could use them for a mirror. They get inspected before they go out. And if a soldier slacks off - :scream:! You have to be the creme de la creme to guard the Tomb.

Contrast this with guarding the Tomb of Our Lord on Good Friday and Holy Saturday. To back up a bit:

In the Byzantine Tradition, people take turns of “guarding the Tomb” of Our Lord. The epitaphios aka the plaschenitsya is a large cloth icon of Our Lord taken down from the cross. Our Lady is holding His Sacred Head, while St. John, St. Nicodemus, St. Mary Magdalene and the Holy Women look on. Around the edge of it is the Troparion: “The noble Joseph took down Thy most pure body from the cross, wrapped it in a clean shroud, anointed It with spices and laid it in a new tomb.”

Every family takes turns “guarding the Tomb”. I guarantee that no one is as spiffy as the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, even if they wore their Sunday best. Yet people take it just as seriously. They go up on their knees (for those who are able), make a prostration, go up again on their knees, kiss the Holy Wounds of Our Lord, shuffle back on their knees, make another prostration and leave on their knees.

I hate them too. If I’m going to light a candle, it better be a real one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.