Michigan township votes to bar Syrian refugees

WATERFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - The Waterford Township board has approved a resolution to stop participating in a federal resettlement program for Syrian refugees until security issues are addressed.

The Detroit News reports (detne.ws/2dRepMZ ) the board on Monday cited congressional testimony of federal authorities that refugees from “failed states such as Syria cannot be adequately vetted to ensure that they do not have terrorist ties because the necessary records do not exist.”

The board’s action may be moot, because states cannot legally bar refugees; the federal government has jurisdiction over refugee placement. But a bill has been introduced in Congress that would allow local communities to opt out.

9and10news.com/story/33469503/michigan-township-votes-to-bar-syrian-refugees

Obama will have Loretta Lynch after them! But I say good for them for trying to
protect their community for the time being.

I don’t see anything wrong with wanting securing issues cleared before accepting Syrian refugees or any refugees for that matter.

I agree.

What the Michigan town can do is to require that every adult citizen be armed.

:sad_yes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.