Microsoft backs down, will fix Internet Explorer vulnerability—even on Windows XP

pcworld.com/article/2150248/microsoft-backs-down-will-fix-internet-explorer-vulnerability-even-on-windows-xp.html

Very interesting. Thank you for your post, Maxirad.

My system is old and I’m now beyond the official April 8th cutoff date too, so I was sort of surprised to see that I had an update. This explains it.

I’m very poor, so I’m as yet undecided about what to do with regard to computer and operating system replacement.

In the meantime, I browse very very conservatively, not extending my browsing beyond a very small handful of trusted sites.

How could they not, though? So many people still use XP and this was such a huge vulnerability that came to light a mere weeks after XP’s end date. It would have been bad business for them to ignore the plight of millions of their customers.

I don’t use XP, but it’s too late anyway–I’ve already switched over to Firefox.

Buying and using software is like buying a product that is guaranteed to be defective and will need constant fixing.

The most shocking thing about this story is that there are still people using Internet Explorer.

:stuck_out_tongue: I’ll just stick with my trusty ol’ Netscape. :thumbsup:

I still run Firefox under XP.

And I log on as a guest, very seldom as the administrator, which is most vulnerable to hacking. Good idea btw on any operating system that allows it.

I’ve tried the guest thing a time or two myself, but I have so much stuff on my computer as an administrator and not as a guest that I just hate to be without all of that capacity for interaction.

I think what you are doing is wise though, and I should probably steel myself to do the same.

Just got another Windows update. I don’t know what it was about though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.