Microsoft’s frequent searcher program

tinyurl.com/3jdlu3

Microsoft’s frequent searcher program

How desperate is Microsoft to compete with Google in search? The software behemoth is now giving away prizes every time you use its Live Search engine.
Microsoft (MSFT) launched the rewards promotion called SearchPerks on Wednesday to lure Internet users away from Google. SearchPerks, which runs through April 15, is similar to airlines’ frequent flyer programs. Every time you use Live Search you earn points that can be redeemed for prizes like ringtones, Xbox games, and t-shirts.

Rewarding consumers to search is one way Microsoft hopes it can increase search traffic. The company ran tests on SearchPerks and found that people were three times more likely to use Live Search when they were offered redeemable points than when they weren’t. “People like to engage with us a lot more when they use SearchPerks,” says Frederick Savoye, a senior director on Microsoft’s search team.
Google (GOOG) holds 63% of the U.S. market. Yahoo (YHOO) is second with 19% and Microsoft’s Live Search is a distant third with an 8% share, according to comScore’s figures for August.

The rewards promotion is an experiment to see if Microsoft can build loyalty with Internet users. SearchPerks is limited to the first 250,000 users in the United States that download a web application that records how many searches they do daily on Google, Yahoo or Microsoft.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

It’s a great product if you have to bribe folks to use it.
And, of course, it only works with IE (boo, hiss). I wonder who the 8% are that actually use LiveSearch?

the 8% that use it are either MS employees or relatives of employees:D

I would not use anything that MS made, I used to be a PC now I am a MAC:thumbsup: :smiley:

I just did a search with it in Firefox, using 2.0.0.17 because I didn’t like the latest one! Not a fan of Internet Exploder.

In Russia, Vista operates YOU!

no seriously, the day something knocks Google from its parapet will be the day…idk, I can’t think of a good enough analogy.

Oh wait! The day the Brewers don’t choke in the first series of the playoffs. There, that was good one.

But in all seriousness, Vista operates users.

You yourself were a PC? :confused: JK!! I did brief troubleshooting on Macs and they were pretty basic but it seems they’re limited in good freeware available for them. Yeah, being unemployed freeware is a big bonus. My last days of really using anything Apple was waaay back on the Apple IIE and then the very first Mac that came out that looked more like a toy than a computer. Yeah it did have that GUI that’s all over now but miss the days were you didn’t have graphics hiding what the OS is doing. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.