Mid-week Wednesday mass only lasts 20 minutes

As an altar server back in the 1950s I served on Christmas Day a priest’s three Masses said consecutively .

It took 30 minutes at the most .

Usually 20-30 minutes for the weekday. Sunday about an hour to hour an a half.

For weekday masses, many people only have a certain amount of time before they must be at work. I mentioned upthread noontime masses in areas where there are many hourly workers. Having only an hour off for your lunch is common, so if Mass lasts for a full hour workers would have to either show up late or leave early. Finishing in 20-30min means the workers have time to return to their job sites. It’s similar for early morning Masses where many people are going to work afterwards.

Recited at a normal pace, no music, no gloria, no creed, no homily, only two readings, it will take 20-25 minutes tops. That’s not rushing, it’s just the formula for weekday Mass which is not supposed to have a creed or Gloria. There’s also no 3d reading in the lectionary for weekday Mass, so it’s not even a possibility. The homily is optional, and does not have to be long.

It’s part of the notion of graduated solemnity that fits the occasion. A weekday low Mass in the Tridentine Mass isn’t much longer than 20 minutes either, uncrushed.

Last weekday I attended lasted 35-45 minutes. It was a noon mass.

Yep. Our daily masses aren’t rushed by any stretch and 25-30 minutes is normal even with a 5 - 7 minute homily. As you rightly point out, just the parts that are “missing” from a daily mass would easily cut 10 minutes or more off.

Add to that the fact that distribution of the Eucharist to 30 - 40 people at a daily mass goes significantly faster that to 600+ on a regular Sunday. Even on solemnities that aren’t days of obligation where we have a 3rd reading, gloria, et cetera, the fewer people receiving the Eucharist easily reduces the length of the mass by 10-15 minutes or so.

Not much in it, ours is about 30 mins on average. Depends on the priest really, if he gives a homily it’s a little longer but if not it is 30mins. I’d say 20 is a little faster, but some of my Irish friends say their masses during the week can be 15mins, I have no way of knowing if they are exaggerating :slight_smile: but I have heard them pray the rosary out loud and it’s very fast. I guess it is just up to the priest and the community especially depending on how many turn up. We are very well attended with 30 or 40 people easily each day and more in school holidays.

Why is a 20 minute mass rushed? I go to a daily mass where the communion is pretty much started in 15 minutes and it is over in 20 minutes. If you saw any given portion of the mass, without seeing the whole thing, you would never think it was rushed. But there is no homily and the shorter penitential rite is used. A priest can keep a good steady pace and say a very reverent daily mass in 20 minutes without rushing anything.

As for why it is being done in 20 minutes? because people have to get to work and have busy days and the desire is to make the mass accessible to as many people as possible. It is the be all end all after all. I am always amazed at the older people and stay at home moms who want daily mass at 8:30am and don’t want it “rushed”, happy to have only 10 or 15 people in the church. The 6:30 am mass that last 20 minutes that I go to averages 50 people at least, fills up the parish’s daily chapel to standing room every day.

Ours is about 40 minutes long. The exception is old Father so-and-so. I dread when it is him, because it takes over an hour and he rambles on in his sermon…very difficult for us working people who have to squeeze Mass into the lunch hour.

19 minutes this morning. About 30 people there. Brief homily. Did not seem rushed at all…I was surprised when I came outside and saw what time it was.

I would find it more offputting if people couldn’t attend because they don’t have the luxury of an hour to spare during their work day.

About half an hour at thw two places I go to daily mass. One has a noon mass in the church on Tue & Wed, followed by a couple of hours of adoration on Wednesday. There is a daily rosary group that gets there about 30 minutes ahead of mass, that I like to join in. The other is held in the chapel of my local parish on Mon thru Thu at 9:00AM, often it’s close to standing room only, because it is a very small chapel. Half an hour is perfect for me during the weekday.

It’s not. If the priest does not say a homily, uses the short form prayers, and does not have a big crowd lining up for Holy Communion, he can get done in 20 minutes and it’s a very comfortable pace.

How about going to work so that you can feed your family and be a good steward of the gifts He has given you? Daily Mass is not an obligation and, for those of us whose days start early, it is not possible. Also, it is a luxury to have an hour for lunch in which you can attend Mass. My lunch is a 30 minute time during which I am catching up on paperwork that is part of my job description and performance evaluation.

This. Instead of questioning the priest about the length of the mass, I would thank God that I can be with Him and still get to work on time. We live in the world…if a Mass runs into my time at work, I have to go to work instead. It does not help the people of the parish to have a longer Mass if it means they will be late for work everyday.

When I say - I don’t like to be rushed -
I mean, in life - first and foremost.
But I have been in masses - and Priests rushed through it.
Someone who does the rosary - before mass -
you wouldn’t believe how fast he goes -
no thought whatsoever for any word. He’s about 74/cane/ glasses etc
But a Priest rushing things - forget it -
it happens - I’d say - one mass in 70 - that I go to.
I left a church - because the Priest, 36, said masses fast - every time -
what a horrible feeling - leaving church - miffed !

It does happen.

That said, you can’t always avoid rushing. I know a 1 hour lunch break means 1 hour from the time you leave your station at work, until the time you are back at your station. Lots of us have had to do plenty of rushing because that’s how manage to make life work sometimes.

20 minutes is doable if the priest skips the kiss of peace and skips a homily (or has a very short one)

Also we all do have different feels for time and what is rushing. But if people are saying the rosary before Mass they have to be doen in time for Mass so it can’t be that slow. I tend to be fast and I can lose attention if someone is talking or praying very slowly/

How do you know that he has no thought for words? I have a tape of Mother Angelica praying the Rosary and she goes pretty fast. And what does his age and his using a cane and wearing glasses have to do with it?

Daily mass at my college is 20-25 minutes because some people have class right after and only about 5-10 people come to daily mass. In the past I’ve had class right before daily mass so I have to book it to mass and hope my hair looks good lol.

I’ve been to daily mass that was 15 minutes regularly at one church, so 20 isnt abnormally short. Another goes closer to 35 minutes. But since daily mass doesn’t have any music usually and the homilies are half the length or less as Sunday homilies, and there are way less people to give communion to, daily mass is going to be between 15-40 minutes for the most part.

It also depends on the Priest, I’ve been to Sunday mass that is close to 30 minutes because the priest is unbelievably fast. When he says “Lord have mercy” as soon as the people say “Lor…” he is already saying “Christ have mercy” lol

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.