Midnight Mass readings

I always read the liturgical selections in several versions. At midnight Mass the first reading included this (from Isaiah 9) :

"For a child is born to us, a son is given us;
upon his shoulder dominion rests.
They name him Wonder-Counselor, God-Hero,
Father-Forever, Prince of Peace.
His dominion is vast
and forever peaceful,"

This from the RSV:

"For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government will be upon his shoulder,
and his name will be called
“Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,"

I sure wish we had better translators, the RSV is a lot more majestic than the lectionary, i.e., NAB.

[quote="JRRTFAN, post:1, topic:349315"]
I sure wish we had better translators, the RSV is a lot more majestic than the lectionary, i.e., NAB.

[/quote]

AMEN!!

[quote="JRRTFAN, post:1, topic:349315"]
I always read the liturgical selections in several versions. At midnight Mass the first reading included this (from Isaiah 9) :

"For a child is born to us, a son is given us;
upon his shoulder dominion rests.
They name him Wonder-Counselor, God-Hero,
Father-Forever, Prince of Peace.
His dominion is vast
and forever peaceful,"

This from the RSV:

"For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government will be upon his shoulder,
and his name will be called
“Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,"

[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, the goal of the NABRE translation is for average Americans to understand the messages / morals of the Bible. Not to be a version used for Biblical research, etc.

Also, don't other English speaking countries, outside of North America, use the RSV-CE?

[quote="phil19034, post:3, topic:349315"]
If I'm not mistaken, the goal of the NABRE translation is for average Americans to understand the messages / morals of the Bible. Not to be a version used for Biblical research, etc.

Also, don't other English speaking countries, outside of North America, use the RSV-CE?

[/quote]

Canada uses an altered NRSV translation.

If I'm not mistaken, the goal of the NABRE translation is for average Americans to understand the messages / morals of the Bible. *Not to be a version used for Biblical research, etc.*

[/quote]

There's good news on that front.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=845371

[/quote]

They accomplished the latter and not the former. What is a God-Hero? Is Everlasting Father better than Father-Forever? It's not used for scholarly work or research by anybody that I ever read. The Vatican uses the RSV. They've been working on it for almost 50 years without notable success.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.