Miep Gies, who helped hide Anne Frank, dies at 100

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands — Miep Gies, the office secretary who defied the Nazi occupiers to hide Anne Frank and her family for two years and saved the teenager’s diary not, has died, the Anne Frank Museum said Tuesday. She was 100.

Gies’ Web site reported that she died Monday after a brief illness. The report was confirmed by museum spokeswoman Maatje Mostar, but she gave no details. The British Broadcasting Corp. said she died in a nursing home after suffering a fall last month.

Gies was the last of the few non-Jews who supplied food, books and good cheer to the secret annex behind the canal warehouse where Anne, her parents, sister and four other Jews hid for 25 months during World War II

comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100112/EU.Netherlands.Obit.Miep.Gies/?CID=Net_Newsmain

[quote="redrosetea, post:1, topic:182754"]
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands — Miep Gies, the office secretary who defied the Nazi occupiers to hide Anne Frank and her family for two years and saved the teenager's diary not, has died, the Anne Frank Museum said Tuesday. She was 100.

Gies' Web site reported that she died Monday after a brief illness. The report was confirmed by museum spokeswoman Maatje Mostar, but she gave no details. The British Broadcasting Corp. said she died in a nursing home after suffering a fall last month.

Gies was the last of the few non-Jews who supplied food, books and good cheer to the secret annex behind the canal warehouse where Anne, her parents, sister and four other Jews hid for 25 months during World War II

comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100112/EU.Netherlands.Obit.Miep.Gies/?CID=Net_Newsmain

[/quote]

He was a man of great honor, and bravery. I should hope to be so brave myself.

May he be remembered for this, and not forgotten.

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:2, topic:182754"]
He was a man of great honor, and bravery. I should hope to be so brave myself.

May he be remembered for this, and not forgotten.

[/quote]

I believe you mean "She was a woman of great honor and bravery." Indeed, she was, though she often denied that she should be praised for doing something which was only human and natural. May she be blessed in heaven.

[quote="Tsuwano, post:3, topic:182754"]
I believe you mean "She was a woman of great honor and bravery." Indeed, she was, though she often denied that she should be praised for doing something which was only human and natural. May she be blessed in heaven.

[/quote]

I am talking about the man who fed her and risked his life to care for her and her loved ones.

Hello? Anyone home?

Read the thread. I hate to be so blunt here but Miep Gies is the one I am talking about.

Don't ever tell me what you think *I mean, I know darn well what *I mean.

And, I can get mean when someone assumes they know my thoughts.:)

StrawberryJam, don't take this too hard, but Miep Gies was a woman.:)

May she rest in peace and may perpetual light shine upon her. She was a truely great human being and an inspiration for the rest of us.

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:4, topic:182754"]
I am talking about the man who fed her and risked his life to care for her and her loved ones.

Hello? Anyone home?

Read the thread. I hate to be so blunt here but Miep Gies is the one I am talking about.

Don't ever tell me what you think *I mean, I know darn well what *I mean.

And, I can get mean when someone assumes they know my thoughts.:)

[/quote]

Yes, Strawberry Jam, I am home. I did read the thread and understood it. I did not mean to offend you by letting you know that Miep Gies was the woman who fed the Frank family in hiding and risked her life for them. I simply wished to honor the woman's courage.

Really sorry to everyone. Just not thinking.

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:7, topic:182754"]
Really sorry to everyone. Just not thinking.

[/quote]

That's alright, StrawberryJam, I still love you anyway!:D

Sorry to be getting back to you so late, I just started back to college after 25 years and I am a bit rattled myself!:p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.