Might Judas be in Heaven?

I realize that none of us can answer these questions with certainty, but he obviously felt bad about what he did, although he then went on to commit another sin, suicide. I sometimes wonder if Judas went through purgatory. Of course we cannot know the answers to this. Curious to know what you guys think about this?

His greatest sin was despair–the theological kind not the mental disorder. Final despair is rejecting God’s mercy. It doesn’t look good for Judas because of that. Having said that though, indeed we cannot know his fate. That is for God to know. We are to hope and pray for mercy for all sinners no matter how grave their sin for “there but for the grace of God go I.” :slight_smile:

The Church has never declared Judas to be in hell like She has never declared ANY ONE to be in hell.
She has on the other hand declared some to be in Heaven. Therefore we must pray for all us sinners that we make it to Heaven.

We will only know at the end of time who will spend eternity separated from GOD.

Well, he did throw the silver back at Jewish authorities. Maybe, maybe not.

There are two passages of Scripture that I think some people point to as evidence that Judas went to hell. One is Mark 14:21 – “The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

I don’t think this passage is only about Judas. I think it is a statement about all who commit mortal sin, because that is just as much betraying Jesus as what Judas did. Woe to all who commit mortal sin, it would be better for them if they had not been born. But blessed are they when they repent, for it becomes better for them that they have been born.

The other passage that I think some people think means Judas went to hell is Acts 1:25, which says, “…take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.”

I think that some people read this verse with a hint of negativity which would imply that he went to a not-so-good place. But I think that’s reading something into the text that isn’t there. St. Peter didn’t say where Judas went in the afterlife, and I think that’s because St. Peter didn’t know. He left it blank and merely said he went wherever he belongs. That’s a statement that is true of all who depart this life, and so I don’t think it implies that Judas necessarily went to hell.

On the other hand, I’m not aware of any evidence that Judas went to heaven. Perhaps we can only say this much: if he repented of his sins before his death, he went to heaven. If he refused to repent, he went to hell.

I hope that helps. God bless!

Anybody can repent, even if it is too late to save their human body.

So the Church teaches that any one dead can be prayed for.

ICXC NIKA

(This is a serious question)

Even if Stalin or Hitler repented? (Just wondering)

They could certainly repent.

However, the more egregious the sin, the less likely repentance would become. Committed, determined sinning engages so much of one’s mind and will that there is little left to consider repentance.

We must also consider that even someone like Stalin is not **wholly **responsible for **all **the wrong done during the period they headed, for they could not have done it without the sinful cooperation of many others.

ICXC NIKA

Of course he could be in heaven.

It seems highly unlikely.

Scripture speaks of the regret Judas had, he returned and threw the money down. Maybe he didn’t realize that Jesus would be dead at the end of the day. The Jews did not have the power or authority to crucify anyone so the death of Jesus may not have even entered his mind when he let them know who Jesus was that night. Maybe the Pharisees lied to Judas saying we just want to talk to him. We don’t know.

The Jews had the scripture, and eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. Since Jesus was killed, I see that Judas carried out that very scripture with taking care of his own death. He sentenced himself to death because his actions led to the death of Jesus. What kind of conversation he had with God before he hung himself, we can’t know. He may have seen it as justice carried out, and eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. We will find out when all is revealed at the end of time. May we be friends of God when our time comes!

I’m always amused at the number of people who worry/speculate about this.

We should look to our own souls, and let God handle everyone else as only He knows.
Maybe it’s a desire to think “well, I’m not as bad as so and so…” :blush:

None of us comprehend the depths of God’s mercy.
We pray for all the deceased. May they be reconciled to Our Lord.

Ultimately, we do not know. But even if it is likely Judas went to hell, neither of our prior 2 Popes were willing to assert it for certain:*Even when Jesus says of Judas, the traitor, “It would be better for that man if he had never been born” (Mt 26:24), His words do not allude for certain to eternal damnation. (Bl. John Paul II, Crossing the Threshold of Hope, 186)

The mystery of the choice remains, all the more since Jesus pronounces a very severe judgement on [Judas]: “Woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed!” (Mt 26: 24). What is more, it darkens the mystery around his eternal fate, knowing that Judas "repented and brought back the 30 pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders, saying, “I have sinned in betraying innocent blood’” (Mt 27: 3-4). Even though he went to hang himself (cf. Mt 27: 5), it is not up to us to judge his gesture, substituting ourselves for the infinitely merciful and just God. (Pope Benedict XVI, General Audience, Oct. 18, 2006)*

His timing would have to be spot on though repenting before the rope hanged him!

ditto

Judas is in hell. Michael Voris had a vortex on that subject today quoting scripture that says Judas is in his proper place.

Actually we know that Satan and the other fallen angels are in Hell.
What we don’t know is what specific humans are there.

Probably because it’s such a compelling aspect to the salvation narrative–or perhaps, deviation from it, might be more accurate. Christ spent 3 years preaching forgiveness, and declaring and demonstrating God’s infinite mercy–e.g.–the Prodigal Son parable, the episode involving the harlot ("…let he that is without sin cast the first stone"), the thief on the cross, “…Father forgive them, for they know not what they do…”

…and then there’s Judas, standing as an outlier, as an afront to all of this–not to mention, the inevitable juxtaposition of his case, vs. St. Peter, who has denied him 3x.

“…it would be better for this one [the one who betrays the son of man], never been born”.

That’s pretty powerful language.

While it’s true that the Gospels don’t expressly tell us why it would be better that he had never been born–thus perhaps leaving it to be discerned by the faithful (or the Church, if you prefer)–yet, it does leave us with a pretty strong suggestion as to his final fate. *** After all, if Judas could have made it to heaven, then how pray tell could it ever be said that it would be better for him that he had never been born??? ***What possible disgrace, humiliation, pain, suffering, challenge, disaster, or what have you, could anyone possibly endure, that would render it “better that [they] never be born”, if after their brief, wink-of-an-eye temporal life…they were rewarded with eternal life in Heaven, with God???

Personally, I can’t reconcile those 2.

IMO, Judas is a sympathetic character. He commits a grave error due to a grave lapse of judgment–AFTER having served Christ faithfully for 3 years (presumably). He regrets his error almost immediately–or at least shortly–afterwards, when he starts to realize the consequences of his lapse of judgment–or just flat out sin (no need to sugar coat things). Yet notwithstanding the totality of the circumstances/his life…, “…it would be better that he had never been born”.

Presumably the fact that Judas took his own life stands for the proposition that his fatal sin was due to the failure of his faith–not the betrayal itself–but again, this is not spelled out in the Gospels–leaving it as mostly conjecture–however apparent it may be. For my part, I can only guess that the Judas episode stands as a testament to the reality of Hell, and the severity and gravity of Christ’s teachings.

But the bottom line, with all due respect, the challenge people find regarding Judas, oughtn’t be amusing; it should be respected, and contemplated with the sincerest and gravest of prayer–for who amongst us, could dare judge even Judas?

Imho, it is one of the most challenging episodes in all of the Gospels. The ‘good thief,’ ‘the prodigal son’, ‘the Harlot’, the petition for forgiveness of his executioners, St. Peter…make sense. They are all consistent with Christ’s message of forgiveness, and infinite mercy–and even more consistent with the greater salvation narrative (captured so succinctly by John 3:16)…

…then there’s Judas.

So much more than just a speed bump along the way…

Rather, a significant detour in the salvation narrative, that demands of even the most seasoned and versed theologian, cause to stop and ponder…and ponder very hard.

Jmho/fwiw.

Mr. Voris does not speak for the Church. If the Church has not pronounced Judas in hell, neither can we–no matter how many videos we might make or how much we might want it to be an incontravertable truth. :wink:

Hard to believe he will make it to heaven, since Matthias takes his office. St.John sees in his vision the 12 Apostles in heaven. If Judas is there, then there are 13 Apostles in heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.